Considering Race Tech Suspension Upgrade

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Hey, I'm considering a Race Tech suspension upgrade, front and rear, our bike is mostly used for touring, two up with panniers and top box well loaded. Riding style more sport than touring, we don't do many highway miles, preferring the back roads. I'm looking for a lot more compliance without sacrificing comfort.

Is it worth going for the adjustable front forks? Also interested in hearing about Race Tech experiences from other ST owners with similar style & set up

Thank

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I upgraded my 07 to this setup and really like the way it rides now ,long distances are smooth but when I get in the twisties it can be firmed up quickly and handles really well .

OP
OP
sky.high

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I upgraded my 07 to this setup and really like the way it rides now ,long distances are smooth but when I get in the twisties it can be firmed up quickly and handles really well .
What spring rates and valves did you go for, did you fit the G3-S rear shock ?

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have RaceTech front and rear. My budget didn't allow me to install the gold valves up front which make for a smoother ride. I had my shock rebuilt including gold valves and spring upgraded during the winter months (cheaper option than brand new). I chose to have the springs set for my weight without gear and I seldom ride two up. The total upgrade cost me about $650. When loaded the bike handles well and is greatly improved over the stock set. When unloaded handling is great. There is zero stiction on the shocks. I upgraded because the stck rear always felt like it wanted to kickout under a hard turn, that is totally gone now with the upgrade. Highly recommend it.

You need to use their spring charts for the weight conditions you choose to ride with.

OP
OP
sky.high

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
RaceTech are recommending .95 front with gold valves & caps and 25.0 adjustable G3 rear, we're 185 & 135 lbs and tend to load both panniers to the brim and fill the top box with lighter stuff. I'm thinking I might be better of with 1.0 on the front but wonder if both front and rear will be to stiff without luggage, any other RaceTech riders care to share their set up and findings before I breakout my credit card ?

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I would stick with the .95 setup as when fully loaded you are not in the same sport mode as 1 up should be okay with your weights .

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
DO IT !!!
I did Race Tech on my ST1100 and the
handeling improvement was well worth
the time & money, you will love it

OP
OP
sky.high

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
DO IT !!!
I did Race Tech on my ST1100 and the
handeling improvement was well worth
the time & money, you will love it
Thanks for the encouragement, I know suspension is always a compromise and even more so when the loads vary between solo riding without luggage to riding with passenger and full panniers. I'm planning on buying adjustable front and rear and hoping I can select springs that will be comfortable for both extremes and use the adjustment to compensate. Is this reasonable or to much to hope for?

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Thanks for the encouragement, I know suspension is always a compromise and even more so when the loads vary between solo riding without luggage to riding with passenger and full panniers. I'm planning on buying adjustable front and rear and hoping I can select springs that will be comfortable for both extremes and use the adjustment to compensate. Is this reasonable or to much to hope for?
No Race Tech installers near you, why not let them help you find the best solution??

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
RaceTech are recommending .95 front with gold valves & caps and 25.0 adjustable G3 rear, we're 185 & 135 lbs and tend to load both panniers to the brim and fill the top box with lighter stuff. I'm thinking I might be better of with 1.0 on the front but wonder if both front and rear will be to stiff without luggage, any other RaceTech riders care to share their set up and findings before I breakout my credit card ?
Your combined weights are about the same as my wife's and I. I set my bike up for mostly solo riding though. I went with the .90 fork springs and the 23.0 rear spring. If you are looking for a primarily 2 up set up, I would go with what they are recommending. It will be on the firm side when riding 1 up, but not un-rideable. The adjustable forks caps will help soften things up when 1 up. I choose to go with Racetech rebuilding my stock shock, as I didn't have the budget for the G-3 shock. I have about 3 years and 25k miles on this set up and I really like it. I tried many different spring rates with little success before I quit trying to reinvent the wheel and just followed Racetech's suggestions. Everything came together after that. Whatever you do will be MUCH better than the stock setup.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I had front seal leakage in 2014. Too many potholes around here. Since I was replacing the seals I figured I would install new springs as well and went with the Race Tech ones (heaviest seemed right).
I've now got 10,000 km/6250 miles on them and am really happy. I am also running a fork brace which cut down on my front tire cupping. Will consider doing the Race Tech rear shock work next year.

If you have not done it yet, DO IT!
Installed a set of Race Tech 1.0 to firm the front forks this weekend. Kept stock valving and new Honda SS8 at 130mm. Matched the original spring, spacer stack height, with the new spring and PVC cut spacer. SAG hit 36mm first try. Original SAG was 44mm.
A 100 mile test ride with 2 up today, made me say why didn't I do this sooner.

OP
OP
sky.high

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I'm just back from a 2500 mile tour with my RT suspension upgrade and have to say I'm very pleased with the result, my ST is so much more confident in the corners, its 'on rails' at impressive lean angles deep into the bends.
Best of all my SO is also sold on the upgrade, enough said

Bike
2003 ST1300
Did you do the work yourself or have it done? I am in the same position with my bike. I have a fork leak right now so it is probably as good a time as any to make the changes.

Did you do the work yourself or have it done?
If you have the tools and reasonable wrench abilities (if you have the tools, you most likely have the ability) you can do it. I read the various threads here and send the thread a question if you need clarification. A second set of hands helped me a bunch and start to finish about 4 hours. I did not need the fork seals replaced though. Lots of experience written in the threads here and have a Honda manual. Best to you and ride safe.

Top Bottom