OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well I've taken the ST out twice now in temperatures in the 50's. No electrical failure. When the temps were above 70 my accessories went out after 20-25 minutes every time. This Sunday temps are forecasted to be in the 70's so I'll take it out then to finish draining the gas tank so I can remove the tank and get at the ground wires for cleaning.

I think Mark is spot on with the thermal expansion opening a circuit up in one of the connectors. Only way to find the intermittent failure one is to test each connector while running after the failure. I figured out a way to do this with a voltmeter and Hitachi connectors, but I decided to replace the Harness, accessory socket, and Garmin. Testing each connector will be a super pain.

The shop damaged my accessory socket and soldiered it back together which slightly melted the plastic. I've been needing to replace this since I've had to fix it already. My Zumo 550 is 8 1/2 years old and has been having a few issues, so I've been looking for an excuse to get a new one and it was on sale. So really I'm only risking the Harness as unnecessary.

Harness, $37 shipped and taxes. Powerlet accessory socket, $34 shipped and taxes ($88 for an OEM is too much and the Powerlet is better made and sealed). Hitachi connectors $14 shipped. Garmin 660LM with ram mount, cradle, electrical harness, and lifetime maps; $409 shipped and taxes ( I paid $600 for the 550 without the ram mount in 2007).

I'll see if the replacements fixes the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Took the bike out again Sunday and again the quartet harness didn't fail. Harness will not cooperate and fail on temps lower temps so I can test the heated grips, sure wish I had thought of it when it last failed. However, it was a bright and sunny 68 F day and a very nice ride. Got back in time to make an excellent hamburger before the Super Bowl. It was a good day. I did get the gas tank drained to the last tick + 15 miles.

When impact driver, new Garmin, and new harness arrives, I'll remove the gas tank. I'll get those ground wire connections clean and get a better inspection on the main harness, then replace everything from the quartet harness forward. I'm also going to remove the ground pin in the receiving Hitachi 9 pin plug on the main harness to make double sure the well and pin are clean.

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Parts finally got to me, miss delivered and neighbor had them for almost two weeks! Replaced the quartet harness, power socket, Garmin and re-cleaned heated grip's connector. Cleaned up nasty ground connections under gas tank.

Took a test ride Saturday to the TX RTE. Garmin and heated grips worked fine. The power socket/USB port lost power since my phone didn't charge on the ride. At startup it starts charging correctly. I'll replace the USB insert (they're cheap) and see if that'll finish the job. It gets hot in that right pocket and I can see the USB port failing in there. This USB port lasted 4 years.

Well it got a lot better. Still got'ta get power to USB devices though.

Top Bottom