anyone thinking on moving on from st1300

Bike
2006 ST1300
I love my St1300 overall... especially the power and smoothness and comfort and the smokin' deal I got on it. I've added a few things myself and the previous owner sure farkled it up real nice for me (and I'm assuming he maintained it well, too).

Here are the things that I don't like that might make me switch bikes:

1. the weight... I feel it more and more now. when I first got it I was amazed at how the weight seemed to disappear once underway, but now I notice how heavy the bike is quite frequently when riding. of course it has always been a beast to move around in the garage and driveway.

2. the windscreen is just so ugly. I love the functionality of the adjustable screen but I can't stand the looks. I may trim the plexi waaay down but for now I try to approach her from the back because the view from the front brings me down. the adv bikes get away with windscreen ugliness because of their whole 'function over form' theme, but the rest of the ST1300 is so darn sleek and pretty that the big screen sitting an inch out from the body doesn't fit in. Anybody ride with no windscreen at all? Or a screen that is trimmed way down? I just found this thanks to an earlier thread... the tinted shorty may be what I am looking for http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/ST1300prod.html

3. the weight

st front.jpg
I've had the tinted shorty for years now, I love it. Looks great. Gives it a CBR1300RR look. I do always wear earplugs but did with the OEM shield also.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
After just diving into the ST family 4 years ago, after owning v65 sabres, I can't see switching to another bike until Honda comes out with some sort of replacement for it and a few years go by to prove reliability. Always loved old Hondas anyway. Die hard Honda fan here...will never change!!!

ToddC

Plus I own three of the damn things.......

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I love my 07 ST. No mechanical problems, just routine maintenance after 53,000 miles (I bought it with 10,700 on it). I wish the same could be said about my body.

To boil it down: it?s the weight. I call it the ?pushability? factor. I?ve got to be able to manhandle it in and out of my garage. The ST is a living demonstration of Newton?s First Law; an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalance force. At age 67 and not of great stature, my personal ?unbalance force? is getting taxed to the max. I considered a sidecar but my driveway/garage won?t allow it.
Chief, I'm not sure what you mean by the ?pushability? factor and having to be able to "manhandle" it in and out of your garage. By being "not of great stature", do you mean you are vertically challenged? I can see where you could be challenged if you have a short inseam and are unable or have trouble reaching the garage floor with your feet while seated on the bike, otherwise there shouldn't be any problem getting it in and out of the garage. I know I wouldn't be able to walk mine around more than a few feet in my garage if there was room to do so by walking alongside the bike and gripping the bars to keep from dropping it. Fortunately for me, I'm 5'10" tall with a 32" inseam, so I can easily ride the bike into the garage and and roll it out while seated on it. I have to park it on the centerstand because of limited room since the Mustang always manages to sleep in the garage, so the only "manhandling" I have to do is placing the ST on the CS when I park it.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I had my 04 for 10 years and 63,000 miles. Two years ago, I switched to a 2012 Gold Wing. I threw a lot of money at the ST to get it comfortable. It was good, but I could not get it just right. The Wing fit me perfect and the only thing I did to it was add a Air Hawk to the seat for all day comfort. I like how the wing carries it weight very low VS. the top heavy feeling I had with the ST. I also have a Roll A Home camper and the wing pulls it like it's hardly back there. I do miss the ST, but glad I made the switch.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I had my '03 for 12 years and 90k miles. Great bike which I enjoyed in most respects, the motor most notably. The ST connected me with people who have become some of my best friends. I was looking for an update, something lighter and with updated electronics, but Honda wasn't supplying one so I looked around and got an R1200RT which I really like. If I hadn't taken an RT for a test ride, I might still be riding the ST.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Thinking of trading in both bikes VFR and ST and getting maybe a new VFR or a FJ09 . This would allow for cheaper insurance some long distance comfort as wellas lighter weight for running around town and short trips . The killer for us in the great white north is insurance and licence fees ,government wants their $ for storage in winter for fees .

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Mileeater, My observations. For the most part folks are satisfied with their ST's,but some desire a little more excitement, some conveniences that are standard issue. There are a few platforms that one can move laterally. The FJR, BMW, Triumph, Kawasaki. The top pick seems to be the FJR, slightly lighter, has cruise, multiple suspension options which the others have as well. I don't see many going the Kawasaki route.'
Others move in a different direction to the adventure tourer, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, BMW, Triumph, KTM etc. They offer lighter weight, more agile and a lot of options to accessorize. The top pic from what I have observed is the Wee.

In our riding circle there are 4 or 5 that have gone to the FJR (one on his second) One fellow has gone back to an ST, another has had his out for a complete season trying to solve a computer problem. a few of these FJR riders have also purchased an adventure tourer as well. There's also a BMW.

I think you were contemplating a suspension upgrade which can be costly and you are coming up to some other maintenance items that are going to be costly, so I understand well the desire to find something ready to go. Given the propensity of you heading out at 2:00am for your infamous round the clock rides, and where you ride to, you'll need a bike with some range, as well as some weather protection.....
Having ridden an FJR unless one uses that cruise control diligently some awards might be in your future.... ;)
I hope you find something to your liking.
Cheers.
I on the other hand, am sticking with the ST1100, as I just upgraded a couple of model years and ABS/TCS to boot

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST 1300
Mileeater, My observations. For the most part folks are satisfied with their ST's,but some desire a little more excitement, some conveniences that are standard issue. There are a few platforms that one can move laterally. The FJR, BMW, Triumph, Kawasaki. The top pick seems to be the FJR, slightly lighter, has cruise, multiple suspension options which the others have as well. I don't see many going the Kawasaki route.'
Others move in a different direction to the adventure tourer, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, BMW, Triumph, KTM etc. They offer lighter weight, more agile and a lot of options to accessorize. The top pic from what I have observed is the Wee.

In our riding circle there are 4 or 5 that have gone to the FJR (one on his second) One fellow has gone back to an ST, another has had his out for a complete season trying to solve a computer problem. a few of these FJR riders have also purchased an adventure tourer as well. There's also a BMW.

I think you were contemplating a suspension upgrade which can be costly and you are coming up to some other maintenance items that are going to be costly, so I understand well the desire to find something ready to go. Given the propensity of you heading out at 2:00am for your infamous round the clock rides, and where you ride to, you'll need a bike with some range, as well as some weather protection.....
Having ridden an FJR unless one uses that cruise control diligently some awards might be in your future.... ;)
I hope you find something to your liking.
Cheers.
I on the other hand, am sticking with the ST1100, as I just upgraded a couple of model years and ABS/TCS to boot
Yes, you and I have talked about this area before so you do have insight. I'm seriously looking at Goldwing and Goldwing F6B (with bigger windscreen) as I'm not going to riding two up much. FJR just doesn't cut it in the wind/weather management side for me (theory of coarse) not ridden any of the mentioned bikes yet.

I'm also considering just keeping the st put some $ into it and still be lots of $ ahead.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST 1300
Thanks guys for input thus far, keep it coming good thread.

Mellow you out there give me some contrast between wings and st as you have had a few of both......

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Yes, you and I have talked about this area before so you do have insight. I'm seriously looking at Goldwing and Goldwing F6B (with bigger windscreen) as I'm not going to riding two up much. FJR just doesn't cut it in the wind/weather management side for me (theory of coarse) not ridden any of the mentioned bikes yet.

I'm also considering just keeping the st put some $ into it and still be lots of $ ahead.
I have a good friend who went from an ST1100 and did the Goldwing route. He won't go back. The new wings can really honk. I'm a long way from there. The wing will get you some range, not as much as the ST, and you could be a little more comfortable at that.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Anybody ride with no windscreen at all? Or a screen that is trimmed way down?
Don't replace your windshield, get yourself a Laminar Lip for the stock ws. With it I ride with the ws fully down, at all speeds. Best $90 you'll ever spend.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I traded in a 2013 Burgman 400 for a 2015 650 Burgman several weeks ago and, considering the space in my limited garage and the cost of insurance, I think, with much regret, I?ll be getting rid of the ST.

To boil it down: it?s the weight. I call it the ?pushability? factor. I?ve got to be able to manhandle it in and out of my garage. The ST is a living demonstration of Newton?s First Law; an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalance force. At age 67 and not of great stature, my personal ?unbalance force? is getting taxed to the max.
GB Chief makes a good point. I have two STs, an 1100 I keep in Europe and a 1300 I keep in Canada. I like the bikes, they do everything they are supposed to do and have never let me down, but Oh My Gawd they are heavy! That wasn't a problem when I bought the first one (when I was in my 40's), but now I am in my 60's and it seems I notice the weight a heck of a lot more.

The 650 Burgman is no lightweight, I think it is only about 100-200 pounds less than the ST, but it has a lower Center of Gravity and you don't have to swing a leg over it. I'm pretty sure that my 'next bike' will be a super-scooter.

Having said that, though, I always wonder how the 70+ crowd manages to handle the Gold Wings.

Michael

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
"I always wonder how the 70+ crowd manages to handle the Gold Wings."......I ride with several riders (in their 60's) who have Goldwings.
A reverse gear, and using 1st gear is what allows them to move their bikes around.

I still have a 2003 ST1300 (which I will be selling) with 220,00 km on the clock. I've never had a breakdown and has run "like a clock" from day 1.

I've test ridden many bikes over the years but when it came down to it, nothing compared to my ST1300 is smoothness and comfort.
The 1300 engine is the best motorcycle engine ever (IMHO).

I've always liked the BMW 1200GS and had the opportunity to test ride a 2014 120 GS LC last spring when I took an off road course here

http://www.smartadventures.ca/adventure-bike.html

It was smooth, powerful, comfortable....and exciting to ride.

So, I now have a 2014 BMW 1200 GS LC (with 33,000 km on the clock) sitting in my garage (anxiously waiting for spring).:D

Andy

I can do all the maintenance (except for computer stuff) myself so we'll see how the BMW experience goes.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have thought about it, mainly because I am always looking at other bikes because it is fun. But other than the gauges and cruise control my st 1300 is like an old pair of jeans and fits me perfectly. Smooth, comfortable, plenty of power and of course rock solid reliability.

I don't really enjoy riding locally as much as I love touring longer distances. But I don't get to tour very often so until I have more time I really can't justify giving up a bike that fits me so well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I've got an '04 with 120K miles on it.
I'm keeping the ST for two-up riding

I've bought a DL650 for a lighter ride, and more recently, an -04 VFR.

Steve :04biker:

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I'm still on a 2002 ST1100 and time has passed me by................

Actually, I'm quite content for now. The 1100 does it for me and I'm still satisfied with it's ride and performance. With 90,000km it's just nicely broken in and has lots of life left.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I'm still on a 2002 ST1100 and time has passed me by................

Actually, I'm quite content for now. The 1100 does it for me and I'm still satisfied with it's ride and performance. With 90,000km it's just nicely broken in and has lots of life left.
Yay Phil !.. and yours sure is still pretty.

I've got an '04 with 120K miles on it.
I'm keeping the ST for two-up riding

I've bought a DL650 for a lighter ride, and more recently, an -04 VFR.

Steve :04biker:
How do you find the dl650 as compared to the St? I know they are not really comparable....but weight is becoming an issue. Are you happy with it?
Joel

Bike
2005 ST1300
I'm always looking at bikes to add to the garage, but I just can't stomach the idea of ever getting rid of my ST1300. It just fits so nice and feels so nice and runs so nice, and wow does it run down the road. I've tested several comparable bikes but none do the job for me.:D

Top Bottom