Mid april trip

Bike
2007 ST1300
Well, looks like i get my wish. Leaving the wife and kid

Lol...jk....actually going to be making a trip from FL to MO. I have a much younger friendwho will graduating army basic in April. Sooooo....what better time than that to get my 1k+ ride in and stop along the way to visit some old friends and poaaibly some new ones. With that, granted it is still months away, i feel it better to be over prepared than not at all. I will not make this a straight one day 17 hour run. I will be going up and out of the way to go to indianapolis on my return trip to see a dear friend and brother of mine.

So, here it goes. I will need help in finding a mid point stop off between jacksonville florida to fort leonard wood. Actually make it a 2/3rd stop off or better. I will have camping provisions and weather gear so its not like i cant handle the trip. Im just plannjng for the unseen events that may happen.

So here is my official call out to anyone that may be in the area both going up to MO and than coming back via indianapolis to florida

If i posted this in the wrong area please let me know

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Give us your route then I am sure people will chime in. This should be a great ride. Your main problem will be the weather. Early spring storms and possible last snow.

OP
OP
CHYZDAD
Bike
2007 ST1300
That was what I was wondering about...that's why I posted a shout out...anyone in the area should be able to give me some info onthe usual weather conditions for that area...potential route to be posted shortly...figuring mileage as we speak...and nearest rest stops and gas

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I am east of Memphis TN and April, May and June can be tornado season . We also have the same weather in the fall and early winter. It may be just a little early for any severe weather. It just depend on how warm or cold it is.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
If you stay in Memphis area try Collierville. Collierville is east of Memphis and you have access to the interstates. Also your bike will be safer. There are only two or three motels in Collierville. The police are active and make there presence known so the criminals stay out. You would need to turn off HWY 78 at some point and head north to Collierville . The Byhalia exit off HWY 78 is the best. You will travel north on Byhalia road to Collierville for 10 to 15 miles which is a 2 lane road.This will also keep you out of some of the traffic. HWY 78 run into Memphis and is no longer is a divided 4 lane HWY past Olive Branch MS.. It now has traffic lights and some bad sections of town to go thru.

OP
OP
CHYZDAD
Bike
2007 ST1300
Now that is some good info to have...small route change out, but nothing major, and may be faster given traffic conditions

OP
OP
CHYZDAD
Bike
2007 ST1300
I will work on trying to stay out of major city highway hubs for time and traffic purposes...as well as personal safety.

OP
OP
CHYZDAD
Bike
2007 ST1300
Trip up
JAX-TAL
2.75HR / 170M

TAL-DOTHAN
2HR / 107M

DOTH-MONTGOMERY
2HR / 106M

MONT-BIRMINGHAM
1.5HR / 91M

BIRM-TUPELO
2.25HR / 135M

TUP-MEMPHIS
1.5HR / 100M

MEM-JONESBORO
1.25HR / 75M

JON-MAMMOTH SPRINGS
1.5HR / 80M

MA SP-CABOOL
1HR / 60M

CAB- FT LOENARD WOOD
40MIN / 25M

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
That looks like a good estimate of time between cities . Don't forget the time it take for gas , food and rest. You may can pick up a rider or two on different parts of the leg for company as you pass thru an area.

OP
OP
CHYZDAD
Bike
2007 ST1300
The longest leg of the trip is going to be the run to Memphis. I'm shooting for Wednesday night..gives me a nice casual take my time Thursday to see a couple friends in Memphis and than ride for 6 hrs to ft Leonard wood and be there when the gates open on Friday.

OP
OP
CHYZDAD
Bike
2007 ST1300
Ok..I'm starting my search for decent aux power for the gear that I will have. Ie cell phone...camera x2..what do y'all recommend

I have already decided on the the breakaway cruis control...it will be a massive hand saver on this ride. Also, just for peace of mind what would be a good alarm for the bike? I saw several recommendations but nothing solid...nothing outrageous but works will do.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
You are so close to the correct time and location to not at least look at tying your trip in to the Moonshine Lunch Run. Make your trip the other direction and visit Indy first then Moonshine and on to Missouri. That would almost guarantee you some riding companions.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
A lot of options for on bike electric.

For me, I have dual 12v acessory outlets on my dash. (You know, cigarette lighter style things.) One is switched with bike, one is full time on. That is where the cell phone get's plugged in. I just have a standard 12v to USB adapter stuffed in there. If it dies, buy a new one. The dedicated 12v to USB motorcycle mounted plugs are expensive and when they die you throw them in the trash. For my garmin I have a 12v to usb hidden in the nose of the bike and snake the wire up and around to the top of the dash. Weather protected that way.

I put a 12v SAE connector in my side case for recharging my cpap battery.
A 12v outlet in the trunk gives me a multitude of plug options for recharging tablets, cameras or headsets. Stowed and secured while recharging.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
You are so close to the correct time and location to not at least look at tying your trip in to the Moonshine Lunch Run. Make your trip the other direction and visit Indy first then Moonshine and on to Missouri. That would almost guarantee you some riding companions.

+1

Ray

OP
OP
CHYZDAD
Bike
2007 ST1300
Well due to unfortunate circumstances...i.e. My contract job not being extended...sad face...my April trip has been pushed back a smidge...like maybe june-ish. Hopefully the new job will allow for that..since the guy I will be replacing is retiring in July. Lets see if I can weasel a few couple of days of in turn...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Top Bottom