Need help with the engine cutting out

I have a 1993 St1100 that is about to go back on the road after a 3 year rest when it belonged to another owner. My problem is that the bike on the centre stand changes gears smoothly but when I put it down and try change from neutral to 1st or second it just cuts out. The side stand switch appears to be working ok and cuts the engine on and off when its on the centre stand and I test the side stand, and the light works for the side stand on the dash. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers
MUZZ

Bike
1998 st1100aw abs
hang on i've got the same problem.......see my other post in this section.....i was suspecting the clutch slave cylinder.maybe its not..well that's two of us now....

you any further forward on this problem ????......nigel

and god wish i was in oz.....bloody cold here...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...the bike on the centre stand changes gears smoothly but when I put it down and try change from neutral to 1st or second it just cuts out.
I guess sticking clutch plates there, cause while on the stand the rear wheel can spin freely...
I'd check master and receiver cylinders and replace fluid as well as engine oil...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Does it cut out immediately when you pull the clutch in , or only after you put it in gear ?

If it cuts out immediately when you pull the clutch lever, before you put it in gear, then you could have a bad clutch switch.

Top Bottom