Brake fluid from my '04

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Just finished a SMC rebuild and brake system renew ....including fluid replacement. At one point I contemplated doing the minimum and not flushing all the old fluid out, after all the brakes were working fine before the SMC seizure, right? The longer I look at this the happier I am that I decided to replace the old. Should be crystal clear ...like wodka not Irish Whiskey.

brake fluid from my '04.jpg

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That looks used but not horrible, especially considering how much there is in the jar. Brake fluid doesn't stay clear very long.

--Mark

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
When ever I bleed mine yearly, it looks like what's in the top of your jar. But in the bottom of your jar, it looks like there is some sludge. I got the same sludge stuff when I finally started to replace my brake fluid following a shop failure to bleed the proportional valve which caused my initial SMC failure some years ago. Without the help of people on this forum, my ST would be a mess. Nice to have working brakes isn't it. Good job.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I thought Irish Whiskey was darker than that. Not sure, as it's been a while since I looked at that, and when I do indulge on occasion it's usually in my coffee.
I sometimes think of iced tea when my brake/clutch fluid begins to deteriorate.

OP
OP
beeker
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I thought Irish Whiskey was darker than that. Not sure, as it's been a while since I looked at that, and when I do indulge on occasion it's usually in my coffee.
I sometimes think of iced tea when my brake/clutch fluid begins to deteriorate.

For a moment I considered filling a one litre mason jar with Irish whiskey to compare ... then I started thinking about what I would do with it at 2:15 in the afternoon. Maybe I'll make a jug of iced tea instead.

I ended up with just under a litre in the jar once I poured in what the front left lines had dripped into a container while I rebuilt the Cylinder. Reginald, the darkest oil did arrive from the proportioning valve bleeder once it started to finally flow. I must say I feel pretty good about the whole project now that I am reassembled with a new rear Bridgestone to boot.

Top Bottom