rebound adjustment screw frozen

Bike
'04 ST1300
The rebound adjustment screw on my rear shock is frozen. I am not able to get it to turn at all. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? Are there replacement parts for the internal pieces? Has anyone else encountered this?

I have a 2004ST w/ approx. 55,000miles on it. I'm the third owner.

thanks in advance for your suggestions

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
It's probably bottomed out, overtightened. Read the thread about refilling that cartridge . All three of mine needed more oil.

ToddC

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Not sure what is nearby and subject to damage, but anything that doesn't move easily is a candidate for the heat gun.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe a shot of some good creep-in oil? PB Blaster? A day or few of that then good fitting screwdriver with a big handle or square shaft? Damaging that screw could leave you...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe a shot of some good creep-in oil? PB Blaster? A day or few of that then good fitting screwdriver with a big handle or square shaft? Damaging that screw could leave you...
Yes to this and maybe after letting PB work a day or two take that good fitting screwdriver and tap lightly with a hammer or mallet while attempting to turn it.

Steel adjustment screw in an aluminum shock body just needs a little corrosion to lock it tight but not so tight a little persuasion won't free it.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300
follow up and the outcome...

The culprit is the dampening adjuster. You access it via the hole in the right side of the frame. My bad in saying it was the rebound adjuster.

I ended up sending the shock into Race Tech to have gold valves and spring installed. They were not able to move the dampening screw either. They took the shock apart and found the screw and needle that rides on the screw corroded due to moisture. Some penetrating oil loosened it a bit and they were able to get it apart. Upon further inspection showed the needle had slipped off the adjusting screw and had been tightened enough to damage the needle. They also found that the seat for the rod had been pushed in (not sure what that all means)... That they were not able to repair.

I ended up getting a new G3 shock which should come Friday. Then putting her all back together in time for a trip to Tombstone, AZ the following weekend. Cutting it a little short than I'd like.

Top Bottom