Internal -vs- external sensors (FOBO-vs-Orange)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Wehn the front gets low the the external sensor (handlebars) will let you know too, the tire rolls over since the sidewall is not stiff and feels like it's flopping. But it only happens when you corner... so it's just a part time TPMS. ;)
When I rode my ST every day, I could feel the difference as the front tire lost a little bit of pressure due to normal air loss. I'd run it 36 cold, and when it got down around 33 cold I could feel the difference and would fill it back up. Its been a while, but I think with my lighter sport bikes it was even more noticeable.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Wehn the front gets low the the external sensor (handlebars) will let you know too, the tire rolls over since the sidewall is not stiff and feels like it's flopping. But it only happens when you corner... so it's just a part time TPMS. ;)
In all my 48 years riding, I've never had a flat in a front tire, always the rear. I did have a Dumbflop RoadStupid front tread separation once, luckily just as I was coming down an off ramp. Talk about a wild ride, almost dumped it twice just trying to limp to my parking space at work, maybe 1/4 mile from the ramp.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
We have a couple of old android smartphones in the drawer. And it occurred to me that I may not need an active cellular connection to use the bluetoothed fobo sensors. So I have downloaded the Fobo bike app,,, using wifi,, and the app boots up,,, but then stalls out because, I think, it is searching for the sensors. Guess my next step is purchase of a set of 2 sensors. Worst case scenerio is that, if the old phone does not work,,, my carrier wants me to enjoy a new Galaxy Note 7,,, now what could go wrong there !!! Cat'

Bike
2010 ST1300
We have a couple of old android smartphones in the drawer. And it occurred to me that I may not need an active cellular connection to use the bluetoothed fobo sensors. So I have downloaded the Fobo bike app,,, using wifi,, and the app boots up,,, but then stalls out because, I think, it is searching for the sensors. Guess my next step is purchase of a set of 2 sensors. Worst case scenerio is that, if the old phone does not work,,, my carrier wants me to enjoy a new Galaxy Note 7,,, now what could go wrong there !!! Cat'
How about finding someone nearby who has a Fobo set on his bike and seeing if your phone mates to the sensors? Cheaper than buying the set and then having to go buy a phone.

That said, I really like my phone sitting in my Ram X mount showing me the tire pressure. Every time I look down slightly, there it is. Almost a heads up display.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I really like the RAM x-mount,,, and with a the new larger water-resistant smartphones and phablets,, they can provide a digital dash,,, bluetoothed into my helmet. GPS,, accurate speedo and odometer,,, stereo,, voice only texting, tpms,, and on and on. A bit off topic,,, but do you need a sunshade with your X-mount ?? Cat'

ps:,,, anyone in the Ontario got the Fobo's ??

How about finding someone nearby who has a Fobo set on his bike and seeing if your phone mates to the sensors? Cheaper than buying the set and then having to go buy a phone.

That said, I really like my phone sitting in my Ram X mount showing me the tire pressure. Every time I look down slightly, there it is. Almost a heads up display.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but then stalls out because, I think, it is searching for the sensors.
Makes sense. It's been a while since i set up my FOBOs but the purpose of the app is to display tire pressures and if there are no sensors to provide that info...

And you have to pair the sensors to an account so that they can't be used by someone else should they get ripped off.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
We have a couple of old android smartphones in the drawer. And it occurred to me that I may not need an active cellular connection to use the bluetoothed fobo sensors. Cat'
Correct, do not need an active cell connection, but you will need some type of data connection, be it cellular or Wifi, for the initial set-up or if you make changes.

The other thing, and I'm afraid this might kill your 'old phone' idea, bluetooth 4 is needed, not just any bluetooth. Bluetooth 4 was first out in '11.
The first of the Samsung Galaxy series that had it was 5.
I think the iPhone 4S has it, the standard iPhone 4 does not, iPhone 5 on up does.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I’m considering the FOBO tire sensors but will not install them until I get metal valve stems (angled). When considering the centripetal and inertial forces involved, the OEM rubber stems are going to fail either slowly or catastrophically as they are the linkage between the wheel and TPMS device.

This is picture is borrowed from another thread in this forum, and illustrates exactly what I’m referring to.

09498D61-413D-44DB-B4F0-768B606CD887.jpeg

How old old are your rubber valve stems?

its my goal to use T-valve stems
D9AADCB7-7B01-49E6-BBA9-82A197F39F0B.jpg

Does own anyone have a recommendation for t-valves that work with FOBO and clear the ST-1300 calipers?

Last edited:
Top Bottom