Zumo 590 and Basecamp - Some Navigation Issues Solved. (Maybe)

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Here is the stupid bit of navigation that I mentioned - spotted yesterday while in the car. Click the picture for a bigger version.

View attachment 170797

Above is what Zumo 590 showed. Basically a T junction but with a filter for traffic coming from the right.

View attachment 170798

Above is the Street view of the junction. The T junction is ahead and to the left. To the right is the filter for traffic coming in the opposite direction.

View attachment 170799

Above: At the T junction. Intention is to turn right. The ovel shaped road in the estate opposite is where the Zumo was going to take me.

NB USA readers - we drive on the left over here in the UK.

I checked all of my settings. Nothing I had done could have caused this. So I thought a bit more. That filter road is for cars coming from the opposite direction. I cannot turn right into that road. If the maps have this junction as a no right turn, then the route suggested becomes a sensible one.

In other words, my best guess is that the 'No Right Turn' info in the map is slightly off.
That is brilliant, just about sums up my issues but less distance involved in the deviation. I have uninstalled Basecamp from my laptop and now going to reinstall it to see if that makes a difference.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
So do the forums say which Garmin units are compatible with Basecamp?
I think they are all compatible until they are not. ;) The spontaneous recalcs started about 2 years ago?? I do a couple of multi week trips a year and load the routes onto the units of my riding partners. My 660 and the 665 of my partner recalc randomly and not at the same time. I don't think it has anything to do with maps. We always insure we're all on the same basemap. Garmin never figured it out so they said go back to Mapsource. Not really an option for me at this point. I just terminate the route and reload it. It continues from where I am.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My 660 and the 665 of my partner recalc randomly and not at the same time. I don't think it has anything to do with maps.
I have a Zumo 550 and the wife has a Zumo 660. Different machines/hardware thus different programming. I don't think Garmin ever thought to program them to react the same. They were probably working on upgrading/enhancing the system. Options are located under different menu locations. My solution was to turn recalculation off on my 550 and have a prompt "Yes or No" for the wife's 660. That way if for some reason we go off route, I know where the original was and the wife's can get us back to it. Handy for going off the route for sight seeing, lunch, or dinner.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
New Basecamp release today (PC at least) version 4.6.1

Added support for downloading preview imagery for BirdsEye Select.
Added support for displaying DEM shading for some cycling map products.
Added support for track metadata from FIT files.
Improved entry of position coordinates on the Waypoint Properties dialog.
Improved performance of some track editing operations on the map.
Updated the Czech translation for "road".
Updated route avoidance settings to be more like PNDs.
Fixed BaseCamp incorrectly showing certain maps on card or device as locked.
Fixed route via departure dates not always showing as expected on the Route Properties dialog.
Fixed routes created in BaseCamp not displaying lane assist and junction views on some nuvi devices.
Fixed geocaches not correctly showing as found on Oregon devices.
Fixed search issue in some maps.
Fixed issue canceling route calculations.
Fixed out of memory crashes related to the undo buffer growing too large.
Fixed incorrect total space shown in the Device Information dialog for some nuvi and zumo devices.
Fixed Send To Device and Receive From Device dialogs sometimes not allowing the user to select a device.
Fixed an issue with BaseCamp prompting that old software updates are available.
Fixed other various bugs.
Strangely enough so has the Basecamp for my Macbook, I watched your videos and I'm amazed at the differences between the PC Version and Apple but you have made it clearer to use for me, I don't know how the basecamp tutorial is condensed into two minutes but its fine provided all works as it should I suppose.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Several things you can try.
. . .
2) The Driving activity with either the "fastest time" or "shorter distance" option selected will give a more direct route. There are differences in route selections between the fastest time and shorter distance options.

My experience is that there is a big difference between "fastest time" and "shorter distance." If you're on an multi-lane highway (think Interstate in the US), "shorter distance" will often route you off the highway at an exit only to have you continue across the cross street, onto the on-ramp to get back on the road you had just left. This happens when the exit is inside the curve of the main road, thus the shortest distance. If you want "fastest time" then choose it. If you want to go exploring choose "shortest distance."

I have both a 660 and 665 and this occurs the same on both.

BTW I really like Basecamp even with it's shortcomings. This thread has been a great discussion.

Shuey

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I have a Zumo 550 and the wife has a Zumo 660. Different machines/hardware thus different programming. I don't think Garmin ever thought to program them to react the same. They were probably working on upgrading/enhancing the system. Options are located under different menu locations. My solution was to turn recalculation off on my 550 and have a prompt "Yes or No" for the wife's 660. That way if for some reason we go off route, I know where the original was and the wife's can get us back to it. Handy for going off the route for sight seeing, lunch, or dinner.
We both have the recalc option off, yet the unit spontaneously decides to recalc. No prompt at all, it just does it. It's a glitch. Garmin says the solution is to use Mapsource. I've never gone back to try their proposed solution.....

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Rather than going through each one, one by one, I could change the motorcycle profile, select 'no', and let Basecamp change all of the previous routes to custom. Then I could revert the motorcycle profile to the original settings.....
This worked like a charm! All of my past routes now have a profile of "none". I just use the motorcycle profile for creating new routes knowing any changes to the profile no longer effect my previously ridden routes.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Help!! OK, got my new 590 and started playing with it. I'm doing a 50CC ride later this year from NY to SF. Google says this is 44hrs of ride time. The 590 says it's almost 46hrs. How can it be slower than google which assumes the speed limit? The mileage is the same and I verified the same route. I have "fastest" selected on GPS with no other avoidances. I do not have the traffic app, so that can't be coming into play. My trusty Nuvi 550 says 41hrs because it assumes a little over speed limit. Any ideas??

Edit- No basecamp was involved here

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
The route in question is essentially one road that is 3000 miles long. I had 2 friends with 590s plug in the same route and they both got an ETA several hours less than what Google showed which makes sense because as you said, the unit learns how fast you ride. Hopefully once I get some miles on it, it will be more accurate.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
With MapSource or Streets&Trips, you manually set your driving preferences for each type of road. These calculated a time for your route. The GPS (550 in my case) would come up with a time based on its own calculations, it was rarely the same as the software, but close if your preferences were set properly. The 550 would modify its arrival time based on your speed/traffic/stop signs/lights, and in general I found that to actually average the speed limit you have to go 15-20% faster than the limit. This would be less true if you were slabbing it. But, I never find Google maps times agree with anything, so don't sweat it.

Top Bottom