60k valve check

Took my '04 into the shop for a 60k valve check, throttle cable R&R and TB sync.
This was the first trip in for professional work since I bought the bike with 24k miles on the odo. The valves had not budged since 24k check, all in spec.
Now I have read that syncing the TB's only affects idle speeds, but I swear, the bike has gained an increase in acceleration and in smoothness of acceleration from 20-30 mph up to highway speeds. Am I delusional?

Byron

STOC #
If the bike is idling smoother then it is probably accelerating smoother and stronger. It's easier to increase RPM's when things are all in sync.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
you'll get varying opinions on this, so you might as well draw your own conclusion. I'm in the camp that feels carb sync (or TB sync in your case) is vastly overrated.

Mechanically, what is being adjusted is a tiny rotation of the throttle plate inside the body. When all 4 bodies are idling, the air flow openings are extremely thin. A small adjustment in the air flow opening will be noticeable. Now whack the throttle open and that air flow opening becomes huge compared to idle, so how will that tiny adjustment affect that large air flow opening, probably not at all.

I synched my own carbs for many years, and never found the process made any difference in anything. About 10 years ago I accidentally tipped my carb-stix over and lost enough mercury that it won't work any more. I haven't synched a carb since, and don't plan to. My bike idles the same today as it did 10 years ago.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Dare I ask,,, what was the bill for all that good work ?? I need the same services,,, in particular the idle adjust cable repair and the valve clearances checked and set. thx, Cat'

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Glad you will now have peace of mind that the ST is good to go for a long while now. Enjoy!!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
forgot to ask the first time, why did the throttle cable need to be replaced, that's not a normal maintenance item. If there was a problem there, perhaps that's what feels better after it was fixed.

OP
OP
Shouldn't have used the acronym r&r I suppose. The throttle was getting sticky, very slow to roll off upon letting the throttle go. I told the dealer to service the throttle, repair and replace as needed. Service was sufficient.
My endorphin modulator likes the idea that the TB sync did indeed smooth things out, so I will leave it at that. Does feel good knowing my bike is "da bomb".
My bill for the three work items, valve check, TB sync, and throttle service was $398 including the Governor's share.
Txs for the wit and wisdom all.

Top Bottom