Obit: Derek Catt, STOC 001

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Okay, short history: Derek started an email repost service, with names of his earliest ST contacts, mostly folks from the old HSTA club (now MSTA.) He formulated STOC as a clone of the earliest on- line club (don't recall the name right now) and borrowed some of their attributes. Started handing out numbers in late 93 and I managed to get #4. He built his on-line news letter, STuff, copies of which may still available at st-riders.net. Pretty good reading. Lots of the still pertinent info hasn't changed in 20+ years.

After his death, several folks took over the reins, with Don Feyma in Nevada still owning what is arguably the direct link back to STuff. Joe Norris started this site as a more "modern" version, as Don at the time was still providing just an e-mail remail service. His site has now progressed as well, and their is a mostly friendly rivalry between the two sites.

Lots of this info is also on post #1 of the new members intro thread at this site.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Dang. I remembered last Saturday that Derek's birthday was coming up, then got so busy being totally incapacitated by the flu that I slept through the date itself, completely unaware of most everything.

Belated birthday greetings, STOC 0001. Thanks for getting us going.

STOC #
Just made another donation to ST-Owners.com in memory of Derek.
A man I've never met, but has made an impression on me, nonetheless.

Peace be with you George, and friends.

Jim

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I reposted Derek's obit on FB but failed to mention it here. I'm claiming age and part timer's disease. Thanks, folks, for remembering the founders.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
George-while late to see this I remember those old days when we anxiously awaited for the news letter to arrive with all the latest info on our beloved ST's. I was even encouraged by Helen to write an article in one of them. Can't remember which one?

I find it ironic that Derek passed on my birthday. We are all proud of his accomplishments as we know you are to. He will always be remembered.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
George-while late to see this I remember those old days when we anxiously awaited for the news letter to arrive with all the latest info on our beloved ST's. I was even encouraged by Helen to write an article in one of them. Can't remember which one? ....
Have a look here, Gary:
(Stickie) STOC Newsletters by WG Norman
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3471.0
I still have my hard copies of the ST1100 Newsletter and enjoy reading them again.

Regards, John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Today is National Crayon Day. (Who makes up this stuff?) Any hoo, Derek used to collect boxes of 64 crayons which were not Crayola, after being told only Crayola made'em. He had a lot. :)

I still miss my boy.

Last edited:

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Today is National Crayon Day. (Who makes up this stuff?) Any hook, Derek used to collect boxes of 64 crayons which were not Crayola, after being told only Crayola made'em. He had a lot. :)

I still miss my boy.
Mine to.

Top Bottom