1969 Yamaha 125cc

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
A friend is trying to get an old bike running again that has some sentimental value. She learned to ride on this bike. I am not sure of the model, but it is a 1969 Yamaha 125cc. The gas was drained before it was stored in a shed, which is good. But before it was stored someone tried to rebuild the carburetor and ended up with some spare parts. I am looking for any suggestions on what approach to take to get this bike running again. For example is there a user forum for these bikes? Are there vendors that might be able to properly rebuild the carburetor? It is being stored in NJ.

Attachments

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Facebook...subscribe to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club and ask away. You should not only be able to have the particular model identified, but several sincere help with repair and parts.
I rebuild old Japanese bikes...thus 'oldbikefixr'...since 1966. Most of my projects I got (cheap) because someone screwed up a really simple task such as a tune-up, clutch replacement, or....carb repair.....became frustrated and pushed the bike to the back of the garage or out behind it.
Check out Ebay and buy both a parts manual and a repair manual for the bike once you have it identified.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Facebook...subscribe to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club and ask away. You should not only be able to have the particular model identified, but several sincere help with repair and parts.
Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club will help get this bike back on the road.

Geh i have nightmares about one of those, make sure the crankshaft seals are good or you will NEVER get it running right if at all

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That was called the Yamaha AT-1 in the USA. I had a friend with one of those in the early 70's. Good luck with the project. Great find!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Nope not an AT-1 though the tank looks like one - That is a 100cc Rotary valve two stroke engine probably a Yamaha L5T. Worked on a few of them. The carb will be plugged up most likely and need a good cleaning. The carb is under the RH engine cover and there is a small rubber plug on the front RH side of the engine where there is a screw to loosen the clamp to remove the carb. The carb is clamped onto a spigot on the housing of the rotary valve cover inside the engine. I would dump all the old two stroke oil out of the oil injection tank and replace the oil and the oil line running down to the oil injection pump that is next to the carb under the RH side engine cover. There is a bleed screw on the pump to let oil bleed from the oil tank through the line through the pump to get all the air out of the system. Have fun

Dan

Top Bottom