93 ST1100 40 Amp Alternator upgrade.

Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
So I am on my way folks! Started the upgrade today. Removed the old 28 amp alternator and have all the parts for the 40 amp. here are some pictures of the start. It looks like I could use a new final drive gear assy. and wheel drive flange assy. The bike does have 137000 miles on it.

Attachments

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
We can have so much fun working on these old ST1100's !!!!

A heck of a lot cheaper than a new or newer used bike, too. Every time I look at another bike, I ask myself, " What will I be gaining by spending the extra " $ X,XXX.00 " on this bike over my ST1100 ? I never can come up with a good answer.

BTW, I test rode a K1600GTL BMW last year and ( seriously ) they are not any better riding on the slab than my ST1100 with the RaceTech front springs and GV / Emulator Kit and with the Progressive rear shock / spring. It now has a "plush, but firm" ride , just as RT claims it would.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ebaldwi
Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
All right folks done with the upgrade and it works great! The final test will be in 85 degree weather in stop and go traffic. Won't see that for another 6 months in Seattle. Lots of riding to do before then. This is my daily commuter transportation so it's good to have her back. Thank you to John and all those who pioneered the conversion process. I have greatly benefitted as have many others.

Attachments

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Congrats on a successful procedure. Thanks for the pics, one can never have too many.:)
+1...
The swap on my '94 is still on the back-burner... ;-)
But I've overhauled the 40A unit by replacing bearings & oil-seal, polishing the commutator and cleaning all and everything (which it was in serious need of... :shock: )

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Nice Upgrade & Conversion. Did Ur 28 just break down & wear out, or did U need more Amps? And where did U get the 40A unit?
Got lucky, and never had to do THIS job--- Original 28A unit lasted the full 250K. Pics make it LOOK easy, but I know its not. Nice work.

OP
OP
ebaldwi
Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks, yeah the 28 amp just wasn't putting out enough voltage to charge the battery. After testing with the dynamic alternator test it made sense. Everyone here was extremely helpful. It was not to bad a conversion. the hardest part was getting the alternator in place. Took a little while of watching the videos and bending the brake line bracket it finally slipped in. I bought the 40amp and all the parts from partzilla.com the whole conversion cost 560.00. then I went on ebay and found the swingarm assy for 99.00 with shipping and so all in I spent 640.
Nice Upgrade & Conversion. Did Ur 28 just break down & wear out, or did U need more Amps? And where did U get the 40A unit?
Got lucky, and never had to do THIS job--- Original 28A unit lasted the full 250K. Pics make it LOOK easy, but I know its not. Nice work.

OP
OP
ebaldwi
Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
We will see how it works out this summer. That will be my final test. Looking forward to some great rides.
+1...
The swap on my '94 is still on the back-burner... ;-)
But I've overhauled the 40A unit by replacing bearings & oil-seal, polishing the commutator and cleaning all and everything (which it was in serious need of... :shock: )

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
ST1100Y: I've replaced mine with a used one a few years back as well. In my case it lasted two whole weeks before the voltage regulator failed on my way home from work. Ended up pulling all non-essential fuses and made it home with a battery drained down to 11.5V.

Got a replacement VR from a car parts site and haven't had any complaints since. With just the standard stuff (head, tail & running lights) I get a steady 14.2V from about 500+ RPM :)

OP
OP
ebaldwi
Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah, I try not to buy used electrical parts. I violate that rule rarely. Got a great deal on ebay for the swing arm and final drive assy.

You're on the safe side with brand new parts; mine is a used unit I'd nicked off eBay... unknown conditions an that...

Have fun! A properly maintained ride guaranties peace of mind there :cool:

Bike
St1100
Hey there
I'm about to start the same alternator up grade on my 93 I'm going to send out my alternator to a shop to have it tested and rebuilt before I put it in... But what do i have to do with the wiring???? What do i remove and where do i connect the 50amp fuse to.... What to what??

Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
I performed the upgrade last year with the help of this tremendous site. Now I ride with 100% confidence that my electrical gremlins have been exterminated.

The upgrade was not that bad at all. Just the hit to your wallet! I also purchased all new parts from Partzilla.... reasonable prices... in stock.

Love this bike... will keep it and bequeath it to one of my sons.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Hey there
I'm about to start the same alternator up grade on my 93 I'm going to send out my alternator to a shop to have it tested and rebuilt before I put it in... But what do i have to do with the wiring???? What do i remove and where do i connect the 50amp fuse to.... What to what??
If you have not yet, you should join ST-Riders.net, then check out this link: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942.0 While there, you can request the traveling tool kit which has several special tools, instructions and even a video tape to aid in the installation.

The 40amp alt you are installing has the regulator/rectifier built in, so you will be removing the external one used by the 28amp system. This necessitates altering some of the wiring. Not difficult, you just want to make sure you get the proper things disconnected and reconnected.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom