Went Down Hard today...Totalled

OP
OP
hotrod1
Bike
94' 1100 ABS
Well, I have mostly healed well. I'm back on the other ST 11, and trying to get her tuned and ready for some rides. I still go through the accident in my head which causes a little anguish. Anyway I am back on the road and trying not to be too skitish about riding. I am glad that I laid the bike down though, at the speed I hit the car I would have sailed through the air. In laying it down, sliding behind the bike, the bike took the impact and lots of damage. My gear took the rest of the damage except lots of bruising.
Wishing everyone a safe riding season. Rod

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Glad to hear laying it down worked for you. Hope all your rides aren't nearly as adventurous and glad that you only sustained minor injuries.

John-

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Hello Rod,

Glad to here that you are riding again. Get off's are never good, you made the best of a bad situation.

Bike
ST1300 2012
Well, I have mostly healed well. I'm back on the other ST 11, and trying to get her tuned and ready for some rides. I still go through the accident in my head which causes a little anguish. Anyway I am back on the road and trying not to be too skitish about riding. I am glad that I laid the bike down though, at the speed I hit the car I would have sailed through the air. In laying it down, sliding behind the bike, the bike took the impact and lots of damage. My gear took the rest of the damage except lots of bruising.
Wishing everyone a safe riding season. Rod
It is interesting to see the different views on the subject. Last December when I saw the car pull out in front of me I locked the (non ABS) brakes and "laid it down", with the tires coming off the pavement only a few feet from the car. The impact snapped the bike upright and tossed me over the car without touching it, letting me bounce to a stop on the other side (OK - that hurt!). However, I firmly believe that I had just hit straight on I would have gone forward thru the handlebars, windshield and then hit the car ... And been hurt a lot more than I was.
I guess the most important thing is that we are still all here to discuss the "merits" of different ways of crashing!

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Glad you are back on the horse, even if it's not the one that bit ya. The twitchy stays with you a while, was a year or so before I was able to corner hard to the left after a lowside many years ago. I've been taking mine to work, but at lunch I've been breaking my ATGATT rule, riding in shorts, sneakers, but with the armored jacket, gloves and helmet. It's about 2 miles to my lunch spot, but I'm uber aware for those miles, I feel naked without the pants and boots. They say most accidents happen within 3 miles of your home, mine is 11 miles away at lunch....playing the odds....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom