I got myself a V Strom 650 :) ! (sold my gorgeous ST1100 :( )

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Hi all,

I am a rider coming off of 2 years on my gorgeous Vikki ST1100 Silver Metallic paint, and I've always lustfully eyed the ADV styled bikes (Versys, Stroms, NCXs etc) and finally found a lovely 2007 Wee strom near me in Southern Ohio. Bought her for $2800.

Pat was kind enough to come with me to take a look at the bike. Apparently pat knew the PO! Small world of motorcyclists :) !

I've christened her Val (Valerie) and I hope to have many smiles/miles on her :)

I am new to the bike so I am figuring out the most important mods I need to make to her, to get her to be suited to my style. The following are the mods planned (and whether I've made the mod yet or not)

- Taller Windshield (Bought the GIVI 260DST $119 from Revzilla.com ; Bike currently has the Madstad bracket on it with stock windshield)
- Any seat to replace the stock 650 seat!! I've bought the Suzuki GEL seat from 'realshelby' so I look forward to putting that seat on Val! :)
- I've the 'adventuretechbiz' PEG lowering kit with me (need to install them over this weekend)
- Purchased 'adventuretechbiz' Fork Brace + Mirror Extenders
- Other minor mods I consider essential to a touring/daily commuter
- - Running lights (I might add aux LEDs small ones & swap out existing turn bulbs for 1157 LEDs)
- - Stebel Horn
- - Fuse Box (bluesea 6 connections)

My thoughts on comparison after 300 miles of riding so far :-

V strom weakness :-
- Poor wind protection, and wind management
- awful stock seat
- Easily blown about in cross winds on highway :(
- Tractor like engine/gearing compared to the ST (this is not a con, but more of a perceived difference for me - I'll probably adjust and get used to this soon)

The pros are evident :-
- Easier to manage, less weight, super happy to lean in/out of curves
- Tons of aftermarket support (gosh, I'm almost sinking into a big problem of farkle addiction!!)
- Easy maintenance

I sold Vikki :( and I'm already missing that smooth V4. The Wee's V-twin is pretty smooth IMHO even comparable. Only the 1st Gear has a little jumpier motion compared to the ST. Also need to get my head around proper Chain maintenance procedure. Things I look forward to learning!! :)

Regards,
Vishnu
thepaleobiker

PS : If anyone's on stromtrooper/advrider/ vsari I'm on those under the same username :) !

uploadfromtaptalk1456346315368.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1456346346624.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
That's a nice looking ride Vishnu. I enjoy mine in the summer as a commuter. These days when the temps are cool the ST gets the duty. The DL is a little under sprung for camping gear and two up but one up with gear it does quite well. You may find yourself a little quicker in the twisties on it!:) Enjoy!

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I took the same path about two years ago. Had an 03 ST1300 that I loved. But it was just becoming to much for me to handle. Especially at low speeds.
I was lucky to find an 05 Wee at my BMW dealer right here in town. After talking with the PO I decided to take a chance.
And haven't been more pleased since I made the move. The bike came with an after market taller windshield with the Mastad mount, digital gear indicator, heated grips and a Givi trunk.
I found a Suzuki gel seat on Stromtroopers that I have used ever since. And I've done many, many, many long trips with it being plenty comfortable.
My first change was a set of Jessie panniers.
Then a skid plate and fork brace. GPS, radar detector, TwistGrip cruise control.
Fuse block.
LED running lights.
And I was not happy with the turn signals, much to dim.
So I found the items I needed to switch them to 35W halogen bulbs. Now they are fantastic. I can get the info to you if your interested in changing yours.

All in all it's been an outstanding switch for me. I absolutely love this bike.

And if you haven't checked out the Suzuki V-Strom sites yet you should. Great want ads and advise from long time owners.
Stomtroopers and V-Strom International.

Stay in touch and keep us posted on how your doing with the bike.

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Vishnu - congrats on the new ride! Have fun accessorizing the bike. Vishnu, Vikki, V-Strom, Valerie......anyone detect and pattern here?

Ray

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Vishnu - congrats on the new ride! Have fun accessorizing the bike. Vishnu, Vikki, V-Strom, Valerie......anyone detect and pattern here?

Ray
Next he'll be buying a Victory.

Congrats Vishnu. I too have a DL650 in addition to the ST and Wing. It's a fun bike that I don't ride nearly enough.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
I've got a 15 XT.. I love it.. but it ain't the 07 ST I did own when it comes to the highways. Every where else it is a great bike.. And thats what I love about it most! miles and miles of gravel and dirt roads are there for the using.

I'm Stump from Las Vegas on the Stromtrooper board.

Enjoy your ride!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Glad to see you pulled the trigger and got the Wee! Good thing I didn't know the price, you may have been in a bidding war!

So, who bought the ST?? Can we expect another attendee at OH-STOC? And you KNOW YOU are expected to be there, no matter what the mount!

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Congrats on the Wee.
The stock seat SUCKS! the Suzuki gel is a little better, but if you want more comfort I have a connection for a seat similar to a Russell, if your interested...
Terry Adcox in TN(931.841.2620) he can do single or double saddle. I did single, shipping and everything was <$300.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Congratulations on the Wee. You gonna ride it down for our RTE in June? We missed you last year.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

OP
OP
thepaleobiker

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Congratulations on the Wee. You gonna ride it down for our RTE in June? We missed you last year.

Ride Safe
John and Janis
John I'd most likely be down there this year! :) I missed the lovely company and pie last year.

Regards,
Vishnu

OP
OP
thepaleobiker

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Congrats on the Wee.
The stock seat SUCKS! the Suzuki gel is a little better, but if you want more comfort I have a connection for a seat similar to a Russell, if your interested...
Terry Adcox in TN(931.841.2620) he can do single or double saddle. I did single, shipping and everything was <$300.
That's a great recommendation! I've actually just put in an order to buy a used Suzuki gel seat from a guy on stromtrooper, I'll get to see how that goes.

Can't believe the stock seat is so awful! Yikes. :)

OP
OP
thepaleobiker

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Glad to see you pulled the trigger and got the Wee! Good thing I didn't know the price, you may have been in a bidding war!

So, who bought the ST?? Can we expect another attendee at OH-STOC? And you KNOW YOU are expected to be there, no matter what the mount!
Pat - there's this gentleman named Bill in East Cincinnati with a red ST1100, Vikki will be his second ST1100, in addition to another 5 bikes. He's on this forum from what he told me! :) I'll remind him about the OH STOC event.

The OH STOC event is my riding school/college/education time each year. I'd love to be there :)

Regards,
Vishnu

OP
OP
thepaleobiker

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
That's a nice looking ride Vishnu. I enjoy mine in the summer as a commuter. These days when the temps are cool the ST gets the duty. The DL is a little under sprung for camping gear and two up but one up with gear it does quite well. You may find yourself a little quicker in the twisties on it!:) Enjoy!
Thank you FALI! I do enjoy the strom, and miss the protection from elements that Vikki offered :(

I definitely need to look into the forks and rear shocks. Maybe I'll pick Gary's mind when I visit him for the awesome tech event in April. I hope to catch you for the rte at John's in Nashville perhaps!

Regards,
Vishnu

OP
OP
thepaleobiker

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
You & Val are welcome at my place anytime! Tech Event will be a good time to go through any chain related questions or issues. See yah then.
Gary, I'd graciously take all advice and inputs on the chain thingy :) ! And other all items too. I've seen some videos on chain breaking and I am starting to realize why a shaft drive is considered maintenance free.......

See you in April! :) :)

OP
OP
thepaleobiker

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I took the same path about two years ago. Had an 03 ST1300 that I loved. But it was just becoming to much for me to handle. Especially at low speeds.
I was lucky to find an 05 Wee at my BMW dealer right here in town. After talking with the PO I decided to take a chance.
And haven't been more pleased since I made the move. The bike came with an after market taller windshield with the Mastad mount, digital gear indicator, heated grips and a Givi trunk.
I found a Suzuki gel seat on Stromtroopers that I have used ever since. And I've done many, many, many long trips with it being plenty comfortable.
My first change was a set of Jessie panniers.
Then a skid plate and fork brace. GPS, radar detector, TwistGrip cruise control.
Fuse block.
LED running lights.
And I was not happy with the turn signals, much to dim.
So I found the items I needed to switch them to 35W halogen bulbs. Now they are fantastic. I can get the info to you if your interested in changing yours.

All in all it's been an outstanding switch for me. I absolutely love this bike.

And if you haven't checked out the Suzuki V-Strom sites yet you should. Great want ads and advise from long time owners.
Stomtroopers and V-Strom International.

Stay in touch and keep us posted on how your doing with the bike.
Jim - you're absolutely right. The turn lights are woefully inadequate. I'm already in the process of changing them all and the tail lights to higher power led lights.

Secondly, I'm adding reflective strips inside the housing to increase the reflectivity. I'm also adding wiring to make the front ones into driving lights.

Finally, I'm also adding a couple of 18W led floods to the fork reflector mount location. The lights are only $19 from Amazon, looks great.

61yZ+o5ea5L._SX522_.jpg

710BkmRuwHL._SX522_.jpg

71Twh5d2ZgL._SX522_.jpg

I've joined stromtrooper, vstrom info & vsari under the same alias 'thepaleobiker' :) :) !!

Top Bottom