Bike Quip Bar Risers

Hi everyone, just a quick question, the answer is probably pretty straight forward but I thought I would ask anyway.
I've just taken delivery of some bar risers from Bike-Quip - ST1300 accessories.
I've read through the installation instructions and it all seems straight forward. And they are now installed and look great
The risers come with 2 rubber grommets on the bottom face, do these need removing before installation because although everything is tightened up there is still flexing in the bars.

I have asked this question on the st1100/1300 facebook page and got 2 answers one was that they are supposed to be there and leave them on, as this stops a lot of the numbness and vibration. The other was to contact supplier, which I have done and still waiting for a reply.

Had anyone on here, UK/USA, fitted them?
Cheers Mike

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
I have never installed Bike Quip risers, but I have installed various flavors of Helibar and MCL risers. Yes, leave the rubber dampers in place as they help to reduce vibration. There is a little play/flex in the bars, but if you notice that while riding, you are doing something wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I have Bike Quip Risers. Yes the rubber dampers are supposed to be there. Yes there is cushioning in the bars which produces movement (damping) if you really go looking for it by pulling and pushing the handlebars, but you never notice it when riding.
Where in North Yorkshire are you ?

Hi jfheath, I'm near Malton, in between York and Scarborough. I've just joined the NPR club, which was recommended by someone I ride out with in an IAM group.
Thanks for the reassuring replys everyone.
Cheers
Mike

OP
OP
Well I've taken the bike out and the risers make a great difference to my riding position, very pleased. I don't know if it is just me with not riding the bike for a while, but since putting the risers on the clutch biting point seems to have changed, it now feels closer to the bars when I engage 1st gear.
Even to the point that I stalled the when I first let the clutch out to move, I seem to remember the span being further away before the the biting point.

Is there any chance that I may have disturbed something when installing the risers?
Cheers
Mike.

OP
OP
Thanks John, the brakes work fine and haven't noticed any difference in them, still strong. I think I'll bleed the clutch just to be on the safe side.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It might be that the new angle of the bars changing your hand position also changed (slightly) how you grip the lever and that changed your perception. Maybe like how an oil change makes your bike more responsive and quicker. Or maybe that's just me!

OP
OP
It might be that the new angle of the bars changing your hand position also changed (slightly) how you grip the lever and that changed your perception. Maybe like how an oil change makes your bike more responsive and quicker. Or maybe that's just me!
That makes a lot of sence, because the risers actually raise the bars by 30mm and back by, I think 45mm.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
Bike Quip isn't a big name here in the states, but they make good stuff and are pleasant to deal with. I ordered a Bike Quip windshield from the UK for my 1100 and also got the splash guard that's supposed to keep the swing arm from rusting out. Took awhile to arrive, but finally did, as described, in good condition. Their website is definitely worth a look, especially if you have a 1300. http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1300_Reflective_Kits.html

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Bike Quip risers and screen have my praise. Lots of other goodies on the web site if you feel the urge to spend some of the 'hard-earned'. I've also got the stainless rad guard on my ST13.

Bike
2004 st1300
well that turned up in quick time well wrapped and boxed up , and i must say a lovely bit of kit , guess i am fitting this later today

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got the Bike-Quip wing decals yet to go on my ST. I plan to put them on the upper portion of the bags. I'd prefer that they 'glow' white at night but the bronze looks good on a black (the most beautiful) ST.

Bike
ST1300, 2004
Hi Mikkidee. I've just got a used set of Bikequip risers (with rubber grommets missing, will have to find replacements for those). I was wondering if you still have the fitting instructions as I haven't got those either and Bikequip is offline due to illness. Thanks, Stison.

IBG

Bike
st1300
Well written John. The one other thing I did was to put a 2inch approx. piece of clear protection film at the front left hand side of the tank. This stops the rubbing of the cables when the steering lock is on.
Cheers
Ian

Top Bottom