Why you don't see motorcycles on the road

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1. I've also incorporated the weave when approaching a car stopped, or approaching, an intersection. This should also help with the 'design flaws' in the driver's sight system described in the Popular Mechanics article.
On a road like that, I leave the modulator on and it gets noticed. With these new LED headlights, They see me much better!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've read and heard all the logic behind why drivers can't/don't see bikes. Most sound really definitive.
But...there are only two reasons. You aren't paying enough attention when you drive, and should probably look into public transportation)....or....you're looking for a free kill.
Life is really simple until someone tries to come up with excuses.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I've had a headlight modulator 10+ years and use it at intersections, driveways or on undivided highways where I see potentially impatient vehicle(s) behind a slow lead vehicle coming in the opposite direction.

Over the years I've had hundreds of left turning vehicles creeping forward waiting for a break in traffic suddenly come to an abrupt stop a second after I turn the modulator on. Same on highways where drivers slowly shift into the passing lane for a quick "peep" before committing to the pass and then veer back into their lane when they see the flashing light. I think it's the sudden contrast of the flashing light that grabs their attention. Obviously can't prove any of this and no one has a neutral opinion on modulators, love them or hate them. I think people who leave them on 100% of the time, especially on the highway where you're flashing the vehicle in the lane lane ahead of you are just asking for trouble or some type of road rage as they can be pretty annoying when used like this.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
In addition to weaving I also watch the vehicles wheels to assure myself that the car/truck/motorcycle remains stationary as I approach the intersection. And then there's the 'creepers'. The guy in the car that starts to roll as you approach the intersection. I know they're 'timing' my passing so he can pull out .... or ..... do they actually see me? There's usually an impatient look as I continually slow as long as they remain moving. I think in many ways driving my motorcycle makes me a more sensitive car driver, although I now tend to drive my car with a much heavier foot on the gas.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Not sure it makes a difference, but in addition to initially weaving away from the threat, I sometimes stand up quickly. Also, on my 1991 ST1100 I can mimic a headlight modulator by thumbing/toggling the starter switch. FWIW

John

Earl43P

Wrencher turned Rider
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I've heard this quite a few times John.
I don't do it on my bike because it runs the starter. Not a nice sound to hear while underway.
??? Only if your clutch handle is pulled in or you’re in neutral. Perhaps your clutch switch is bad? I’d fix that.

I use the starter switch to blink my headlight often, several times a day on my commute, to let other drivers know that I see them wanting / signaling to change lane and they are clear to go ahead and do so. I also use it like a jerk, with the high beam, flashing at a high rate, meaning “ get the $*#Â¥ out of the passing lane already, you’re camping out there, holding up traffic”. My morning commute is complete darkness and I’m thankful for that.

The vast majority of my close calls are in the afternoon going home, with the sun heading down and in our eyes.

Creeping lane wanderers, looking at their phones... sudden lane changers without looking properly and not signaling.

Proper lane positioning helps. If in the hammer lane, keep to the right tire track near the white lane lines so you are visible in their side mirror. Just the opposite if in the right lane, stay in the left tire track closer to the white lane lines so they feel uncomfortable passing you. When they do pass you, decelerate enough that they get by much more quickly, then blink the headlight when they can move back to the right in front of you (as if THAT ever happens, lol).
Swerve into that right lane right tire track when approaching an intersection where a car is waiting to cross traffic or pull out in front of you. I do that with vigor and then blaze the high beam and do the SMSM (see me swerve maneuver) if they creep.

I have a lot of strategies that I use to stay alive in the Tidewater area traffic. We have a diverse population from all over (Navy town). Many don’t drive well.

One of my frequently observed pet pet peeves is the phone user that races up to catch you but doesn’t pass you, then sits there, aft and almost beside you (or another vehicle) in the fast lane and paces you using their peripheral vision to navigate rather than watching the road. I have literally slowed from 65+ steady speed to below 45 and watched hammer lane traffic back up behind these “fools”, then accelerated smartly away clearing the path. Usually, well south of the I64 mess on Hwy 17, I can decelerate significantly and they get a clue and go by. But with heavy traffic, it isn’t a safe move.

Be careful out there, I ride as if every one of them is trying to kill me with their complacency.
Sometimes, that makes me look like a jerk, but knock on wood, I’ve done 5+ years @ >30,000 MC commuting miles/year without getting wrecked.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Earl....I see the cell phone/texting behavior every day. Some are driving so badly there's no way they can even suspect they are in control of the vehicle. I have seen lots of driving while distracted over theyears....a guy playing guitar, another drafting an 18 wheeler with his head on a small cushion and feet out the passenger window, woman crocheting, lots of newspaper readers, guys watching movies on their laptops, and one guy using a book holder attached to his steering wheel (deputy Dawg got him). But life continues to evolve.....Just this afternoon I saw a twist. Lady is in the fast lane of the freeway, doing every bit of 45, flashers on and texting. Yesterday, I saw another first for me...a guy weaving between shoulder and part of the adjacent lane, while putting some sort of makeup onto his mustache.
This circus is forever morphing. I don't think it will ever become rational and there will always be something new to see. I can't wait for self driving cars and the twists tinkerers will add to the mix.

Top Bottom