Bar Risers.. Thoughts

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
Just purchased a Honda ST1300 with zero miles on it. Noticed that the bar placement is a little lower than the previous bike. Heli obviously the leader. Other brands. Was cable length an issue. Any thoughts at all.. Thank you in advance

Matt

GallantRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi Matt,
Just put Helibars on my newly purchased '12. They do work with the existing cables, but JUST. I found the left side especially tight, but I can go lock to lock after bending the wire cable guide towards the rider and down (so it goes under the edge of the tank). The bundle still doesn't quite stay in the indented channel lilke it should but hopefully they will settle in better and I can figure out a better zip tie solution.

hth!
Steve

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I've got older generation Motorcycle Larry risers. They save my shoulders and back. No issues with cables.

Heli generation 3 for me. Hated stock position, luv heli 3 position.... Not a cable issue but a little tip, the directions tell you to remove and turn the clutch hose on the bars. You need to bleed it when you do it this way... I took a dremel with a cut off disk and cut off the tab in the direction that you turn the hose. Loosen it just enough to turn but not let in air... You'll understand should you go this route...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Why not ride it stock for a while and see if the ergos don't agree with you instead of immediately changing it? This isn't the previous bike and the ST's sport touring position allows long days in the saddle for many owners.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Why not ride it stock for a while and see if the ergos don't agree with you instead of immediately changing it? This isn't the previous bike and the ST's sport touring position allows long days in the saddle for many owners.
+1. Put Heli on my first ST1300 after coming from a very upright riding position bike( V65 Sabre). Didn't like the factory position at first. Put the Helis on and loved them. Then bought another ST1300 without risers and put a few hundred miles on it and ended up liking the factory set up best. Just took getting used to a slightly more aggressive riding position. Give it a try..

ToddC

Bike
2004 st1300
after riding an bmw r1150rt for years and going onto the st1300 it feels prone sports bike to me and my shoulders give me pain so i am also looking at a change , i am looking at the bike quip ones here in the UK

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Honda also has a different riser for the Police ST1300. It has a more comfortable position. I don't have the part # and do not know the cost, but I do know it exists and have ridden one so equipped and found it quite a big improvement. The aftermarket world is likely less $$. My current bike has the MCL riser (I don't know which version) and I enjoy it over the stock position.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Heli was best option for me. Cable length was not an issue.
+1. Sometimes you just know when something isn't right for you. Otherwise it costs nothing to put a few miles on your ST to be sure.

The bars felt low to me immediately but I didn't know anything could be done about it. I did a 2500 mile trip and was not liking the position at all. When I found out about Helibars (here) I asked around then jumped. I like 'em. A lot.

OP
OP
MattInDenver

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
All fantastic advice. In the end I rode a couple of months without and then went with Heli inch up and inch back. After about 3 hours in the saddle I am enjoying them. Maybe 2 inch back would have been better because I am 5'5"

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Honda also has a different riser for the Police ST1300. It has a more comfortable position. I don't have the part # and do not know the cost, but I do know it exists and have ridden one so equipped and found it quite a big improvement. The aftermarket world is likely less $$. My current bike has the MCL riser (I don't know which version) and I enjoy it over the stock position.
Honda Huntington Beach California dealer has a full listing of all the ST1300P police parts plus price and sells all but the lights.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Parts are shown in the usual " fish" style by bike but you can also look up by part number to see what all it fits.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Speaking of Bar Risers.. My friend drove my ST with MCL bar risers. He wants a set. I came across this set which the owners says are bar risers for ST 1300? I don't think they are. Anyone know if these risers will fit a ST 1300? I see MCL Sport touring written on them but personally I don't think they are from a 1300???

Attachments

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Speaking of Bar Risers.. My friend drove my ST with MCL bar risers. He wants a set. I came across this set which the owners says are bar risers for ST 1300? I don't think they are. Anyone know if these risers will fit a ST 1300? I see MCL Sport touring written on them but personally I don't think they are from a 1300???
They look right to me... for the ST-1300.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
SI came across this set which the owners says are bar risers for ST 1300? I don't think they are. Anyone know if these risers will fit a ST 1300? I see MCL Sport touring written on them but personally I don't think they are from a 1300???
GenMar risers. They are sold by the company direct or you can buy them from Honda as ST1300P replacement parts for 3x the price.

Top Bottom