Got my first JIS screwdriver

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
don't recall where I ordered my Vessel screwdrivers from, but they shipped within a few days, 4-7 weeks seems excessive. Just because they're JIS doesn't mean you have to wait for them to ship from Japan.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
CANADIAN SOURCE for JIS drivers

A small firm based in London, ON called Go Fast Innovations (www.gofastinnovations.com) sells a really nice set of three JIS drivers for $30 CDN or $34,95 US which includes shipping to Canada or the USA respectively.

I have a nice set of Vessel drivers but wanted to give a set to a buddy for his bike and so I ordered the Go Fast drivers. They’re just as nice as the Vessels and came quicker at a lower price.

Their website has an excellent graphic and explanation of the difference between Phillips and JIS - so I’d recommend visiting, if only for that reason.

Pete

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
a really nice set of three JIS drivers for $30 CDN or $34,95 US
This may be the same set of 1/2/3 Vessel JIS drivers at McMaster-Carr for $34+ plus tax and shipping. I didn't think they were Vessel but Igofar showed me the error of my ways.

These are really nice drivers. There's also a Vessel JIS impact driver available elsewhere.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
This may be the same set of 1/2/3 Vessel JIS drivers at McMaster-Carr for $34+ plus tax and shipping. I didn't think they were Vessel but Igofar showed me the error of my ways.

These are really nice drivers. There's also a Vessel JIS impact driver available elsewhere.
Hmmmm....could be I guess. I would suggest that to have a JIS complete capability, one really needs the Vessel Impacta driver (it has a silver handle) and the GFI set does not include an impact driver.

Remember Mans Rule #6:

He who dies with the most tools - wins

I bought my set from RRR Tool Solutions - "always use the proper tool for the job".

Standard flat and Phillips screwdrivers will completely hose up JIS screws and such. I bought my set prior to rebuilding the carbs on the Hurricane.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Reading the GFI copy I see that they are not Vessel drivers but drivers patterned after the Vessel design. I stand myself corrected.

The Vessel impact driver I mentioned is available from a number of places.

I bought this one from a Honda dealer 50 years ago for $15. But I don't think it has JIS bits. I still have it and should get some bits I know to be JIS. I used it extensively on my 305 Scrambler but never needed it on any of my other bikes. Didn't know then that I should have used a rubber mallet on it and not a hammer.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Reading the GFI copy I see that they are not Vessel drivers but drivers patterned after the Vessel design. I stand myself corrected.

The Vessel impact driver I mentioned is available from a number of places.

I bought this one from a Honda dealer 50 years ago for $15. But I don't think it has JIS bits. I still have it and should get some bits I know to be JIS. I used it extensively on my 305 Scrambler but never needed it on any of my other bikes. Didn't know then that I should have used a rubber mallet on it and not a hammer.
Ahhhh.....the famous and unsurpassed Vessel Model 250001 impact driver. That truly is one of the best impact drivers every made IMO and as a bonus, I'll bet you dollars-to-doughnuts that those ARE exactly the JIS bits you need for your Hondas, Suzukis, Toyotas etc. etc. I bought one many years ago as well - for around $10 CDN (in the 1970's) and it came with JIS bits.

If you place a want advert on CL or Kijiji - you often find them in OK shape for well under the $93 retail price in the current EBay advert.

I can also report that I corresponded with Paul Jones of Go Fast Innovations yesterday and here is his message back to me:

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your email.
I expect to have my second generations Gofast Innovations JIS screwdriver sets available in a couple of weeks. Check my website.
I won't be making Impacta style drivers but am working at developing a set of JIS screwdriver bits that will fit current impact drivers.
Thanks,
Paul Jones
Gofast Innovations

As Andrew pointed out above, Paul is a classy guy and provides great products at a great price AND superb customer service. Working on old bikes is fun, but only with the correct tools and so I am really looking forward to getting a set of his new JIS bits for my replaceable bit drivers.

IMPACT DRIVER HINTS: when using an impact driver here are a couple of hints:

- lubricate the internal ramp mechanism inside the driver to ensure that it works smoothly without friction (you cannot see it because it is inside the body of the driver - but I would suggest giving the thing a squirt of WD40 or light machine oil before use to keep it lubed and rust-free);

- BEFORE hitting the end of the driver - place the bit end firmly into the head of the screw and then rotate the driver counter-clockwise against the slots in the screw head to "pre-load" it in the loosening direction - and THEN hit it one good smack with a mallet.

If you do that - the screw will just about always pop loose right away.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
rotate the driver counter-clockwise against the slots in the screw head to "pre-load" it in the loosening direction - and THEN hit it one good smack with a mallet.
That was something else I had to learn when using the Vessel. I don't recall having any instruction nor did I ask anyone how to use it properly. A few whacks did nothing. I must have pre-loaded the driver out of frustration but certainly not on any conscious or logical level. Once I learned that trick I wanted to take everything apart!

Bike
VStrom 650
Alleluia, I've seen the light, the second coming has arrived.
Like many many others I've sort of ignored the JIS debate and have always managed with Phillips screwdrivers on my Japanese bikes.
Well after starting to feel that one or two well used screws and well used Phillips screwdrivers were getting a little passed their best I bit the bullet and ordered the Laser 7036, 4 piece screwdriver set, it's a revelation brothers. Price was good off eBay, £15.00 delivered to my doorstep.
Laser seem to be a British company, but I guess we all know where they are made, but anyway the quality seems excellent and in short I don't know how I've managed for 40 years without them ( first Japanese bike Suzuki GT250A in 1978 ), the fit on the screws is phenomenal; if you haven't got any yet, get them, it could save you a proper headache.
Upt'North.
Just remembered my first Japanese bike was a C90 Bog Seat I used to fly around the fields on, I serviced that with a hammer.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I got a set of his earlier GoFast Innovations JIS drivers last year and they are top notch tools. I'm a bit of tool hound and I just ordered a set of the newer model that has the built-in hex on the handle for applying more torque $30/set.

What a great deal!

Pete

Top Bottom