Am I packing too heavy

I read about the benefits of packing lightly, then come across examples of people carrying 2 of things- which makes it seem overloaded for no reason. I have a provisional list for my 2 up, 1 month trip through the Alps. Am I packing too heavy? Million dollar question- could I get everything in the 3 panniers?

? 2 tents, plus a tarp
? Cleaning gear- visors, pots & pans (scrubing brush, etc), clothes- 1 pair of hiking boots, 3 undercloathes, pair of flip flops, bathers & goggles, clothes line & pegs
? Pee bottles
? Portable Shower (compressible bag)
? Expandable drinking water bottle, plus litre day bottle
? 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid, plus medicines bag
? 2 sleeping bags.
? Sleeping pad
? 1 map of Europe
? Camping chair
? Hot water bottle
? Stove(s) and adapters, scales
? Utensils, pots & pans, spork, bowls, mug, drinking canteens, kettle, toaster rack, penknife
? Adapters for gas- one for filling directly, one for converting into stove
? 2 or 3 spare Frenchy cheap cannisters
? Head torch, tent light
? Bivvy bags
? Pillows
? Liners
? Bits & bobs- trowel, nappy sacks, wet wipes, tissues, a few ‘emergency’ camping meals
? Toiletries; razor, 2 shower gels, nappy rash cream, p20, after sun, shampoo, toothpaste

I'm sure there are one or two other bits, but nothing significant.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
You might be over-packing if:
2 tents and bivi bags?
Toothpaste and no toothbrush?
a sleeping pad, a cot, and a synmat?
What is the difference between a hot water bottle and a canteen? If the hot water bottle is a vacuum bottle, why can it double as your canteen?
Kettle and pots... Why not use a pot for your kettle?

I'd take more cash and credit cards too...
;)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Your question has no answer with the info you gave us. For example, I own a one person tent (North Face) that is positively tiny, and I also own an LLBean Vector(?) and a Big Agnes (the latter are 4 person tents). i regularly pack the Big Agnes on my bike. What size are your sleeping bags? Lightweight summer down bags or an all weather, rectangular synthetic fill bag? Are you a couple that can share one tent or two who want separate accommodations? I would say you have a lot of gear - but I travel one-up with a huge duffle behind me and all three panniers filled so I'm not casting any stones. Can you fit your list in the side and top cases? I doubt it, but again, not enough info. (I would think the two sleeping bags, tents and sleeping pad will fill the panniers).

The way to pare your list down is by taking a trip or two (even a short overnight one) and seeing what you really need. Discuss what you need vs. want with your traveling partner. You can always buy food along the way. What do you mean by 'emergency meals? You can always survive a day or two on a jar of peanut butter and bread/crackers (I remember traveling around the western US 35 years ago, making peanut butter sandwiches on my knee as I drove (car).

One last comment. I notice you are packing NO clothes. While I envy nudists, you might consider some protective clothing and rain gear to thwart road rash. You will probably get as many suggested lists here as there are responders to your question. Only your own experience will answer this question to your satisfaction.

OP
OP
Your question has no answer with the info you gave us. For example, I own a one person tent (North Face) that is positively tiny, and I also own an LLBean Vector(?) and a Big Agnes (the latter are 4 person tents). i regularly pack the Big Agnes on my bike. What size are your sleeping bags? Lightweight summer down bags or an all weather, rectangular synthetic fill bag? Are you a couple that can share one tent or two who want separate accommodations? I would say you have a lot of gear - but I travel one-up with a huge duffle behind me and all three panniers filled so I'm not casting any stones. Can you fit your list in the side and top cases? I doubt it, but again, not enough info. (I would think the two sleeping bags, tents and sleeping pad will fill the panniers).

The way to pare your list down is by taking a trip or two (even a short overnight one) and seeing what you really need. Discuss what you need vs. want with your traveling partner. You can always buy food along the way. What do you mean by 'emergency meals? You can always survive a day or two on a jar of peanut butter and bread/crackers (I remember traveling around the western US 35 years ago, making peanut butter sandwiches on my knee as I drove (car).

One last comment. I notice you are packing NO clothes. While I envy nudists, you might consider some protective clothing and rain gear to thwart road rash. You will probably get as many suggested lists here as there are responders to your question. Only your own experience will answer this question to your satisfaction.
3 season rectagular bags. Vango Ark 400+ tent & Soul 100. Thought a few sachet meals, in case we run out of time and haven't found somewhere to eat. 3 sets of socks, pants and shirts, 1 pair of jeans, 1 fleece, hiking boots, flip flops, bike gear (ATGATT) including 1 piece oversuit. Mats will be either Exped 9 or 12s. Can share a tent, but would prefer some alone time each day.

Whatever we do, I think the test trip will have to happen.

OP
OP
You might be over-packing if:
2 tents and bivi bags?
Toothpaste and no toothbrush?
a sleeping pad, a cot, and a synmat?
What is the difference between a hot water bottle and a canteen? If the hot water bottle is a vacuum bottle, why can it double as your canteen?
Kettle and pots... Why not use a pot for your kettle?

I'd take more cash and credit cards too...
;)
Yes to toothbrushes. Electric ones, with a shared charger. Leccy razor with charger for me too. No, just a Synmat and a cot. Hot water bottle is a collapsable sack that you fill with hot water to keep you warm- I think it might be an English thing ;) Don't know about the pot thing- that's one of my greatest uncertainties. I'm really not sure what to bring- I don't want to go mad, but a Jetboil won't cut the mustard.

Bike
ST1300 2010
You ask " Million dollar question- could I get everything in the 3 panniers? The answer is positively not. Do a test short stay somewhere and get a handle on what you really need.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Well the first thing I would do is haul all that crap out to your scooter....and see if you can tie it all on.....then decide if taking the car makes more sense.....2-up can be done but you need small sleeping bags and pads, a shared tent (small)....and on and on....the suggestion to test camp first is priceless....but hey, enjoy your vacation, any vacation is better than none......ff....BTW if where ever you camp has electricy it probably has showers, ditch the portable one....if no electricity the toothbrush and razor are worthless....there are manual ones available that pack much smaller and are cheap....:D.......test camp a few times...you'll figure it out

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
No problem, that should all fit in a truck fine.

My bike has big luggage plus we (2up) use a waterproof bag on top of the top box and there is no way in the world we could get all that stuff in.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yep, what they all said...
test camp trip time. See what works and adjust. Then test camp again. Repeat.
Every time out I adjust a little. Been moto camping, although solo, for maybe 12 years now. Half that pulling a small pop-up camper, the other half in a tent. Using the tent now. No cot needed, just the pad with sleeping bag. Pot works for kettle well and allows other stuff to pack into the pot to save space. Anything you can use for more than one function is golden and eliminates extra stuff. Dry bags are great for what doesn't fit in the hard luggage. It all comes down to what you feel you need to take and experience taking it.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
Hotels are best. Saves a heap of carrying and you get nice hot showers, a comfy bed overnight, breakfast, etc. and can enjoy the riding during the day. Or have I missed the point......

OP
OP
Hotels are best. Saves a heap of carrying and you get nice hot showers, a comfy bed overnight, breakfast, etc. and can enjoy the riding during the day. Or have I missed the point......
Definitely mate. Peak season in the Alps- countries like Switzerland, Austria- big bucks. For the month that I'm going, it would run to a couple of grand, minimum, Vs ?20 per night or wild camping. Besides, I think it will be fun.

Where in Surrey are you Dex? I'm just south of Guildford.

Bike
2004 st1300
you wouldnt get that lot on to a 1200gs with 50L panniers and top box let alone the panniers on a Pan, things like portable showers , drinking water(get at camp site) pee bottles no need, camping in europe is tops ,99.9% camp site have showers loos everything , look at it all piled up and you wont need half of it , camping chair ! sit on your arse on the ground lol most sites have bench seats.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I think the ST has a 200 kg (400 lb) maximum weight for rider, passenger and luggage so even if you exceed it by 10% would you, your wife and luggage fall into that? The other thing to consider the heavier the bike the less fun it is to ride. I agree with others that the best advise is to reduce your load, leave the kitchen sink and tuxedo at home.

Gerhard

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Hi Nick

... it does sound rather a lot mate, a fully loaded Pan is very heavy beast. Trim down what isn't absolutely essential, every ounce will count, I promise you.

Suggestions -

2 tents, plus a tarp - 1 tent
? Cleaning gear- visors, pots & pans (scrubbing brush, etc), clothes- 1 pair of hiking boots, 3 underclothes, pair of flip flops, bathers & goggles, clothes line & pegs
? Pee bottles - No need
? Portable Shower (compressible bag) - No need, there will be showers
? Expandable drinking water bottle, plus litre day bottle - Tesco do their own version of a Camelbak, I have 2 you're welcome to use them
? 1st aid, plus medicines bag - Buy medicines as you need them, don't forget your EHIC
? 2 sleeping bags.
? Sleeping pad
? 1 map of Europe
? Camping chair - Weight Mate!
? Hot water bottle - As above, really
? Stove(s) and adapters, scales - Prob don't need scales
? Utensils, pots & pans, spork, bowls, mug, drinking canteens, kettle, toaster rack, penknife - plastic water bottles as and when + a Leatherman
? Adapters for gas- one for filling directly, one for converting into stove
? 2 or 3 spare Frenchy cheap cannisters
? Head torch, tent light- Space will be important, can you do without it?
? Bivvy bags
? Pillows
? Liners
? Bits & bobs- trowel, nappy sacks, wet wipes, tissues, a few ‘emergency’ camping meals
? Toiletries; razor, 2 (?) shower gels, nappy rash cream, p20, after sun, shampoo, toothpaste - Nick loads of hotel shower gel/shampoos!

We used to reckon on 2 nights camping to 1 night in a cheap hotel... it's so nice to sleep in a sensible bed every couple of nights. Have you checked airbnb for prices, or can you join the Youth Hostel Association if there's such a thing in Austria... bad night sleep = bad days riding and you've got a passenger to look after too.

BTW the seat deal fell through so if you and your passenger would be more comfy on my spare you're welcome to use it mate...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys. VERY useful food for thought. I will defo do several test camps.

Steve- Very kind mate. I'll take you up on that offer if I may. Any news on the tyres- perhaps a trip to the nice part of Sussex could be upcoming? Might even try some camping down your way.

Top Bottom