Knee replacement March 8 , 2016

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I sat on my Tiger today to see how close I am to being able to ride it. I took it around the block last week twice. I had help here if I needed it. Well I am getting closer. Better than last week. I knew the ST is too heavy to even think about trying it. Plus I know my knee will not bend enough to try it. So there sits my DR650. So I sit on my flat Corbin seat and what do you know? Hey I can ride this one. Hey Judy, will you move your car? No your not! Yes I am! 40 miles later I was back at home. Sure was nice to get one step closer to back to normal! My knee is getting better, but the NordicTrac will be seeing most of the miles for now.
Ain't nothing like that first ride out! That's pretty good considering how soon this is after surgery. You'll just keep moving along until you are there before you know it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Randy - Interesting note to the 'pre-surgery' exercise - I knew I was going to have my right one done, so I really pushed it beforehand as much as I could. The left one came as a total surprise (just got up one morning and it came apart - Doc showed me the pictures of the initial scope and it looked like a bomb had went off in there) I had a lot more trouble getting function out of the left one than the right one. It is a gradual process but the end result is a lot better than where you started. I ran across some pictures the other day of one of my walking sticks strapped to one of my STs. BTW, I have quite a collection of walking sticks - so nice I don't have to use them! :D

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I hope that this thread helps anyone thinking about the surgery won't hesitate. It is not a smooth road but if you keep positive and work through all the therapy it is a worth while outcome! It is also great to read all good results from everyone that has or is going through the knee replacement!
:plus1: And please do not let my struggles make you think twice about getting yours done. My previous injury has made mine a lot more difficult than normal. But I will get there. And it will be well worth it!
I also want to thank everyone for the help and support!
Keith

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
A little update, went to six week check up and doctor said I was doing well. Still have trouble sleeping through the night but he said that was normal for now. When it starts aching in the night I get up do a few stretches and lay back down which helps. Did a couple short trips on the bike last weekend and was a little tight. Yesterday did a 170 mile three hour trip up to CT and everything went well, tried to move around, changing positions every so often so not to get stiff. It was a little sore last night but all and all very pleased. Plan to meet up with some ST Owners at Bennington VT for lunch and ride a couple routes in VT today then back home on Sunday.
Overall filling better, but still not where I want to be. Have another week of PT and keeping pace with home therapy as well which I am gaining increase flexibility. I am slowly cutting back on meds which being used primarily at night to help sleep. As everyone said it is a slow process but results are becoming well worth it!!
Thanks everyone for the support! Sure helps get through those tough PT nights!
Randy

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good to hear about the progress, keep up the good work!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Glad to hear you are doing better Randy. Yes it is a long slow process. Glad to hear you have been able to take a ride. I know it sure helped my spirit taking my first ride.
Sounds like you are getting there faster than me. I go see my Dr Thursday. I hope that he wants to scope and manipulate mine. Scar tissue is holding me back from bending it like I need to. I've talked to a couple of people at PT that had to have there knee manipulated. Both said yes it hurt, but that it took care of the problem.
Do a search for (Topricin). It is a Homeopathic pain relief cream. Goes on like lotion. No smell at all. I have been using it for years after a Dr gave me a sample to try. It works great for me! And it works fast! Sorry I did not mention this before. Amazon has it if you can't find it at a local store.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith - Topricin? I'll have to check that out as I've got a few other 'spots' that I am troubled with. I'm sure you had a lot more scar tissue left over from previous stuff that I had from the original surgeries. Hope they can get you where you need to be, my friend!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
UP, give that Topricin a try. I keep a 2 ounce tube in my lunch bag. And I have my 4 ounce jar on my night stand. I use it after I get out of the shower. I use it before I go to bed. And during the day if needed. It will help me within minutes. No heat, smell. It just goes on like lotion. And it is all natural. Much safer than a pain pill if it helps you. And works much faster.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Randy, sounds like things are going pretty good for you. You're riding a lot sooner than I did. I still have problems throwing my leg over my Wee. One of the reasons I've put it up for sale.

Keith, hope that they are able to get yours straightened out. But you have been riding too. Good for the soul.

On mine, I think that one of my biggest challenges was a mind set. I just keep thinking that it shouldn't be swollen like it is and that I should be able to function as well as I did before. I finally came to the conclusion that it is what it is and it isn't going to change. So now with a different mine set, I really no longer think about it and it seems ok. Can't believe it took me this long to get it together! It's going to get a good workout as we leave for Ireland May 10th for 3 weeks and will be doing a lot of walking.

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Keith
Thanks for Topricin, I will search it out! I rode the Duck since it is about 200 lbs lighter, bad thing it doesn't have the wind protection and the ride back today was wet and 44 degrees. Glad I packed the heated gear. Hope to test out the ST on a short trip this weekend. Hope your healing goes well!
Gary
Hope yours goes better! Keeping a positive mind set and staying active helps you move forward!
Phil
You are correct it is a looooong marathon but well worth it! Think I feel healther overall!

Thanks everyone for the support!
Randy

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You are so right Randy it wasn't a fun ride home cold and wet made it home in 3.5 hours non stop.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I went to see my Dr today. I go in for surgery Monday morning at 9:00 am. He is going to scope and manipulate my knee. He is very pleased with how mine is doing considering my previous damage.
I'll have to do PT everyday for two weeks after surgery. I should be good to go shortly after that.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I went to see my Dr today. I go in for surgery Monday morning at 9:00 am. He is going to scope and manipulate my knee. He is very pleased with how mine is doing considering my previous damage.
I'll have to do PT everyday for two weeks after surgery. I should be good to go shortly after that.
Best of luck my friend. I'm sure all will be ok. Mines getting a little better each day.

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Keith
Best of luck with surgery!

Beginning to think we have an inner club within ST Owners knee rehab club!

Continue to heal well everyone!

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Well started reading this thread this morning and wanted to thank everyone for the support. Been almost 10 months and everything is going well. Today I head to have my other knee replaced later today. Hoping the replacement goes as well as the other one, doctor says everyone is different and but is positive. Rehab will begin soon and as everyone says it very hard but the outcome is good if you follow rehab directions.

Thanks everyone!
Randy

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good luck Randy, I'm sure it will go well, let us know when you get back.

Top Bottom