OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Ray I think you are correct only the best synthetic grease for my knee! LOL!

Randy

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks everyone!
Came home this afternoon, I am walking more and stretching. Trying to keep pace with therapy that they have given me. Definitely making a difference.

Lookng forward to the next few months and climbing back on the bike!
Randy
Randy - You will get there, sooner than you think! ;-) My 'test' was when I felt that I could hold the bike up at a stop, bend it comfortable to the 'riding' position, and put the bike up on the center stand.

http://www.unclephil.us/FirstRide2011.htm

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Randy - You will get there, sooner than you think! ;-) My 'test' was when I felt that I could hold the bike up at a stop, bend it comfortable to the 'riding' position, and put the bike up on the center stand.

http://www.unclephil.us/FirstRide2011.htm
Phil
Great article, my thoughts were about 4 to 5 weeks after surgery. My wife has a cruise planned for our family the last week of the month then I drive up to Atlanta for a 4 day long meeting and then will drive up to Moonshine Thursday night and head back Saturday all via car. Then I have a meeting in Torrance, CA for work after that I hope to be able to try setting on the bikes and see what happens. Thanks again for all the support!
Randy

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Gonna have to bite the bullet and get mine done. It's been bad for years now and I've been just putting up with it. Seems to be worse lately though as well so I'm getting close. I was intending to wait a couple more years until I retire but I don't know if I'll make it that long at this point.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jeff - It's a tough decision, but if you've got good insurance now and you are ready, I'd pull the trigger. My doc told me when he did my first 'scope' - 'You'll eventually need a replacement. Knees seldom get better. And you'll know when it's time.' A couple of more scopes and 14 years later it was past time! When how the knee 'feels' starts affecting your life's decisions, it's probably time. Mine got so bad, that on my last long trip before, I would not get off the bike until the end of the day because it hurt so much to get on and off. I'd just gas up sitting on the bike and ride til the end of the day. And strapping a walking stick on a ST can be a little tricky. ;-) I remember the first time after I got my right knee replaced I walked down a set of steps without having to think about it or hurting - what a pleasant feeling!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Jeff - It's a tough decision, but if you've got good insurance now and you are ready, I'd pull the trigger. My doc told me when he did my first 'scope' - 'You'll eventually need a replacement. Knees seldom get better. And you'll know when it's time.' A couple of more scopes and 14 years later it was past time! When how the knee 'feels' starts affecting your life's decisions, it's probably time. Mine got so bad, that on my last long trip before, I would not get off the bike until the end of the day because it hurt so much to get on and off. I'd just gas up sitting on the bike and ride til the end of the day. And strapping a walking stick on a ST can be a little tricky. ;-) I remember the first time after I got my right knee replaced I walked down a set of steps without having to think about it or hurting - what a pleasant feeling!
Agree with everything you say Phil, sounds like you let it go even longer than where I am at now. For me I have to stand for 30 - 40 seconds after getting up from a sitting position before my left knee will take any weight and let me walk. Even then it's a heavy limp for the first 10-15 yards before it loosens up. There's a sweet spot after this where I can walk, mostly normally, for maybe 50-100 yards before it starts getting more and more sore again. The insurance point is well taken, not sure what the situation will be on Medicare after I retire.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Agree with everything you say Phil, sounds like you let it go even longer than where I am at now. For me I have to stand for 30 - 40 seconds after getting up from a sitting position before my left knee will take any weight and let me walk. Even then it's a heavy limp for the first 10-15 yards before it loosens up. There's a sweet spot after this where I can walk, mostly normally, for maybe 50-100 yards before it starts getting more and more sore again. The insurance point is well taken, not sure what the situation will be on Medicare after I retire.
Jeff, I had mine replaced under Medicare and it covered their 80%. Of course I'm retired Air Force so my TriCare for Life took care of the rest. My medical is covered under my TriCare for Life but if you have Part D under Medicare, it'll cover most of the medical. A good supplement would cover what Medicare doesn't. I had to go back in the hospital for a week just 4 hours after my release from surgery. When I got home I had to take a bunch of intravenous medication. TriCare only covered part. I was stuck with over a grand left. I applied with the company for help and they ended up writing it all off. No charge to me.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jeff - Sounds like you are 'past due', my friend! Talk about limping - when I was in therapy, the lady asked me 'Why are you still limping?' I had limped so long that it had become a habit. Part of my rehab was learning to walk correctly - or 'walk pretty' as she described it. I told her 'I've done a lot of stuff in my life, but walking pretty ain't one of them!' :D Insurance is a funny thing - sometimes the 'devil' you know is better to deal with than the 'devil' you haven't dealt with. We're going through the Medicare thing with my wife as she retires this year and it can get pretty confusing as to what is covered and what is not, what coverage you want, etc.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Had mine done Feb. 22nd. A 3 day hospital stint ended up being 3 weeks because of a lung embolism (clot). I'm going home tomorrow, Friday. I'll have home therapy, for the knee, for 2 weeks, then I'll be able to drive to the clinic to continue. I don't know how long before I can ride again. The doctor blanched when I told him the bike weighed over 700 pounds. Oh well, I'm getting there.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I'm sitting here reading this as I work on mine at home. Wednesday was my 10th day of PT. I sure thought I would have been further along with progress on my knee than I am. They measured my range of motion at 18 degrees from being straight. And only 90 degrees of bend. That was at the end of PT, and they cranked on it as hard as I could take it. But that is better than 22 degrees from straight and only 54 degrees of bend when I started 3 weeks ago today. Maybe I just want too much too soon. They tell me that since mine was more complicated than just a normal replacement. They had a hard time getting the plate and 10 screws out that bolted me back together back in 2004. I was non weight bearing for 4 months after that surgery. I was off work for 7 months. I was never able t get my knee all the way straight. And could only bend it maybe 105 degrees. A very long and painful recovery! I was hoping this would go much smoother. But they say because of all the previous trama to my knee, it could take a little longer. And not sure how much I will get out of it. I guess time will tell. I'm not giving up though. I'm pretty sure it will all be worth it in time. I just wish it would hurry up. I sure want to take a ride!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Good luck with your recovery/rehab.

I am 57 and have played basketball 2 or 3 times a week or ran for most of my adult life. (I don't know why I am still 25 pounds overweight[emoji30] ).
I also have knee issues. 2 scopes & 1 ACL rebuild.

To give you extra inspiration.......

A good basketball buddy (also 57) had his knee replaced about 18 mos. ago.

He has been back to playing basketball at a pretty high level. This is amazing and inspiring for me to see. He does limit himself to half court to reduce the amount of steps but this guy can really play well. If you didn't know he had a replacement you wouldn't notice.

His doctor did tell him that he will need to come in for new parts at some point because the pounding will wear out some of the parts. My buddy told him "just don't run out of parts."

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith - Just keep working it and it should improve. I have much better flexibility now then I did when I finished therapy - I can actually squat (but not for long! ;-)). You just have to keep working it every day. One thing that could help is getting a stationary exercise bike. That is good for your muscles, your blood flow to the knee and your flexibility. I do 10+ miles 5 days a week on mine (simple Schwinn model) and it has really helped.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
My friend Carol had her right knee done 5 weeks ago coming Monday. She's done great, 4? from straight and 130? of bend (better than before the surgery.) She has only 1 PT session left. We've also been working it pretty good at home. It'll come, Keith (and Randy and all.) Keep working it. Glad to hear your friend is back on the courts, Sportznut. Carol's doctor told her No Jumping! (Of course, she hasn't jumped in many many years, so there is that. :D)

Went dancing last Saturday, had a ball. (No really, it was the annual Osiris Shriners Ball in Wheeling, WV. :D ) First time we've danced together in 52 years. First real activity for Carol since the surgery. All is well.
carol and george.jpg

In my own case, one scope on the right knee years ago and have run marathons since then. It's okay. Left knee has never given me trouble until a couple months ago when Greg and I lifted the spare ST engine into the back of his pick'em up truck. It's been bothering me ever since. Suspect I'll have to get one... some day.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Your friend Carol has done great George! Congrats to her! I have a long ways to go to hopefully catch her.
UP, I can not wait to be able to ride my exercise bike. I have a good one. And I know how much it helps from last time.
One round of Exercises at home so far today. Off to PT shortly.
Best of luck to everyone with there replacement knees.

OP
OP
rulbe

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Thanks again for all the encouragement! I borrowed a Aircast ice machine that pumps cold water around knee cap after my exercises and seems to help with the swelling. I am about 4 degrees of being straight leg and about 110 degrees of flex. Therapist said I didn't need the walker anymore and could just use a cane for support. I am happy so far and will continue to move forward.

Thanks
Randy

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Good to hear Randy.
Friends of mine 3 bro 1 sister mom and dad all had at least one knee done. All came out fine. 3 of them did 100+ mile bicycle rides with us just fine.

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
I have had both knees replaced 1 three years ago
and the other fiveyears ago I only wish I had have done
it sooner Remember you must work your butt
off at the physical therapy or it will be worse than before.
mine are better than the ones I was born with ....

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
At the risk of getting shouted down: Lose the extra weight before your knees give it up! Of the dozen or so folks in Carol's initial PT at the hospital, only one looked a reasonable weight. I know, I know, it can be hard, but still...

Top Bottom