Shorai battery

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought a Shorai battery a number of years ago, I left it on the '04#1 for over a year sitting in my shed, pulled it out and it was DEAD! Which you are NOT supposed to let happen. I hooked it up to the Shorai charger two or three times and it came back to life. I pulled it out of the '04#2 when I was going to sell it last year (which I couldn't sell it since it needed a waterpump) and the battery is still sitting on my shelf. I haven't pulled it down to test it, but maybe I should.
So I pulled it off the shelve this morning and put a "light type tester" to it and it was bright! :D So I hooked up to the charger and I'll test it tonight to see if it has enough power to start a bike. :D

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I pulled it off the shelve this morning and put a "light type tester" to it and it was bright! :D So I hooked up to the charger and I'll test it tonight to see if it has enough power to start a bike. :D
I have officially retired my Shorai. I bought a couple batteries off ebay, I'll see how well they do.

Bike
09 ST1300A
Just an update :
I put in the Shorai lithium battery Dec 12, 2012 @ 31,000 miles, it performs so well I forget its there.
It is 6 yrs, 2 mnths old. My bike now has 66,000 miles. It still cranks & starts fine.
I bought the Shorai battery LFX18A1-BS12 , weight 2.2 lbs .

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Now if you do have a BMS enabled battery (of which I think on EarthX is the only MC starter battery on the market) they will drain a little faster just in keeping themselves balanced. Balancing is a good thing, just a little pain to go along with the improvement it brings.
I know this post is a bit old, but in my shopping/research recently for a LiFePO battery for my Super Tenere revealed that almost all the of the Li batteries out there claim to have an internal BMS. The one battery that I could find no such claim for is Shorai. I think their BMS is in their special charger. If I recall it does not connect via the standard terminals but rather has a special plug. This is the first time I've heard that the BMS causes a parasitic drain though. I ended up with this Scorpion:

Based on previous good experience with their AGM batteries and with Battery Stuff.com. This battery will also fit the ST1300. So far I'm pleased with the performance but I only have a couple months experience with it. The lowest temperature start has been down into the mid 40s and that was not an issue.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
wjbertrand said:
I ended up with this Scorpion
To charge it do you use a recommended charger or just a 'traditional' charger — no desulfation cycle?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
To charge it do you use a recommended charger or just a 'traditional' charger — no desulfation cycle?
I have a Battery Tender with a lithium or lead setting. Only used it once when I initially received the battery because the batteries are shipped with only 30% charge per IATA requirements.

Bike
09 ST1300A
That's a good long life. How much does that work out to per year?
That's about 6,000 miles a year (5,833). Or was it cost you were asking about ?
Previously I never got more than 3 or 4 years out of a conventional batteries (Yuasa's) for my many bikes over many years.

Top Bottom