Pesky side stand switch ST1100

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This is nasty to diagnose when it becomes faulty. I just had my ST1100 in the shop to complete my cruise control set-up and have the carbs synced. The backstory is I recently bought the bike, and prior to that it had been inactive for a season or two and there was a good possibility that the carbs needed a thorough cleaning. The only issue was at idle it was running a little rough.
The side stand switch was a little finicky as it would sometimes fail to light up when the stand was down, but when it was on full lean it would light the light. With the stand up the bike would start fine.

When I took the bike out for a ride, it was a little rough at first, like it was missing a cylinder, which I attributed to old fuel and possibly the carbs were in desperate need of attention, however when I got to the mid rev range the bike would smooth out, higher revs the bike was missing, backfire on occasion and then just shut down, and forcing me to the side of the road. I pulled in the clutch and it would start. This happened a few times on my test ride,however after deploying the side stand I was able to start the bike and off I'd go but still rough running.
I checked the exhaust manifold and found my front left cylinder was cold to touch. Pulled the plug and it was fouled, replaced it and the bike was running super smooth, and then it would sputter, like it was starving for fuel and shut down. It wouldn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in, I jiggled the side stand with my foot and it then it would fire up.
I replaced the side stand switch with a known good one and when I started the bike it purred! It was smooth throughout the power band.
Now it needs to be ridden!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
All is well that ends well. Happy to hear you finally found the source of the problem. I could imagine with all the unknowns and recently purchasing the bike, it had you wondering for a while.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
This is nasty to diagnose when it becomes faulty. I just had my ST1100 in the shop to complete my cruise control set-up and have the carbs synced. The backstory is I recently bought the bike, and prior to that it had been inactive for a season or two and there was a good possibility that the carbs needed a thorough cleaning. The only issue was at idle it was running a little rough.
The side stand switch was a little finicky as it would sometimes fail to light up when the stand was down, but when it was on full lean it would light the light. With the stand up the bike would start fine.

When I took the bike out for a ride, it was a little rough at first, like it was missing a cylinder, which I attributed to old fuel and possibly the carbs were in desperate need of attention, however when I got to the mid rev range the bike would smooth out, higher revs the bike was missing, backfire on occasion and then just shut down, and forcing me to the side of the road. I pulled in the clutch and it would start. This happened a few times on my test ride,however after deploying the side stand I was able to start the bike and off I'd go but still rough running.
I checked the exhaust manifold and found my front left cylinder was cold to touch. Pulled the plug and it was fouled, replaced it and the bike was running super smooth, and then it would sputter, like it was starving for fuel and shut down. It wouldn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in, I jiggled the side stand with my foot and it then it would fire up.
I replaced the side stand switch with a known good one and when I started the bike it purred! It was smooth throughout the power band.
Now it needs to be ridden!
Do you think that the intermittent side stand switch mostly affected the left front cylinder?

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Do you think that the intermittent side stand switch mostly affected the left front cylinder?
It's possible. The bike had also been started and stopped frequently whilst using full choke, so that may have contributed to it's issue.
when riding the bike, I kept thinking I may have an electrical problem, bad coil, something grounding out.... Over the winter I had done a number of things, added a fuze block, heated grips, light controller... Well a list of stuff, and wasn't looking forward to going over every bit of work I had done again.
Back to your comment, because the engine is being shut down intermittently and not allowing full combustion in the cylinder, yes I would conclude that the side stand switch contributed to the plug fouling.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
One of the FIRST things I did to the ST11 was take out that Sidestand Switch. Heat, water, & corrosion are always working on it. And the wiring & connector always crack/wearout. Obviously, down below the footpegs is not a good location for switches and wiring.
So, just pull that Switch, and bypass it. Easy to do, and pays off in peace of mind & reliability.
Same thing with the Vacuum Fuel cutoff valve. Bypass it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom