Cooling vest info

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I don't currently have any kind of cooling vest, but while searching for the miracool vest in the above post, I came across this site: http://www.coolvest.com/?gclid=CKTK-Na2wMsCFYqPfgodOV4NIQ.
If I plan to do any extended rides in next summer's heat I'll be looking for one of these.
I've been using this Coolvest from Glacier Tek for the last 10 years (up to 100 % humidity) and it has been working very well for me.

Tried evaporative vests also, but were not very effective in our high humidity coastal climate.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I just got back from my California trip. Left June 9 and got home today July 1st. I did not buy a cooling vest. I had people email me saying to take a cup with and go to bathrooms and pour cool water down the front and back insides of the jacket. It worked. My total distance was 16198km or just over 10000 miles

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've been using this Coolvest from Glacier Tek for the last 10 years (up to 100 % humidity) and it has been working very well for me.

Tried evaporative vests also, but were not very effective in our high humidity coastal climate.
How do you use the Gacier Tek vest on long trips? Do you have spare cool packs that you swap out or do you 'recharge' the packs during a reest stop buy buying a bag of ice and putting the cool packs on the ice for half an hour?

the Glacer Tex seems to be a bit pricey - could you not do the same thing w/ a fly fishing vest and standard cool packs that we use for injuries (i've got more than a few of various sizes in my freezer). Only problem with my improvised idea is that it takes a lot more than 20 min to recharge the standard cool packs.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I should have added that I have a Jo Rocket Alter ego Mesh jacket that is easy to wash during my trip.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
How do you use the Gacier Tek vest on long trips? Do you have spare cool packs that you swap out or do you 'recharge' the packs during a reest stop buy buying a bag of ice and putting the cool packs on the ice for half an hour?
I swap a spare. On long trips, there is often no time for 30 min stops.

I carry a soft sided Polar Bear Cooler (10 years ago they were great, you could pack them in a very small roll when not in use. Today's are stiffer unfortunately, but still manageable though. But there may be something more collapsible on the market. Can also be used for gears when not used as a cooler.).

The packs do not recharge well with ice. Better immersed in ice water for fastest turn around. Polar Bear is great for that as it is 100% water tight.

Most of the time, I start the day ride with both packs in the cooler and put one on later when the day starts to heat up. A pack will last about 2 1/2 hour, but I often keep it on longer, until feeling uncomfortable again, 3 to 3 1/2 hour is not unusual, depending on how hot it is.

Then, on the next gas stop or lunch break, I swap the packs, letting the "hot" one recharge in the ice water in the cooler where it will be ready for the next swap a few hours later.

the Glacer Tex seems to be a bit pricey - could you not do the same thing w/ a fly fishing vest and standard cool packs that we use for injuries (i've got more than a few of various sizes in my freezer). Only problem with my improvised idea is that it takes a lot more than 20 min to recharge the standard cool packs.
Pricey yes. But I use it for more than just riding, so over the years, it has been a very worthwhile investment for me.

Ray Booska, the founder/owner of Glacier Tek, is also a rider and used to hang around this site and was giving us a 10% discount back then when using the "STOWNERS-10" promotional code. As you can see here and here, Glacier Tek is now quite a different company! You may want to reach out to him or give them a call and see if they are still willing to cut you a deal (Used to, you could also have a camo model at a discount, but the camos have now disappeared from their web site, they probably contract directly with the military).

You can of course experiment with your med packs and find a configuration that works for you. Carry enough of them so you can "recharge" at night. But the Glacier Tek vest (as well as other brands of non-evaporative vests) cools down to about 59 F. You barely feel it on your skin. Anything cooler feels uncomfortable to wear for a length of time.

An evaporative type vest will definitely be more cost efficient if you ride in a low humidity area.

I also like the Glacier Tek vest for riding to work on a hot day, where a "wet shirt" wouldn't look too good.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Bike
GL1800-2012
Based on personal use I agree, Veskimo is not cheap but it in fact works! I am only able to endure the hot Florida summer rides only since using the Veskimo! I also for the long rides use LD comfort gear in addition to the veskimo as it help wick(evaporative effect) of the humid conditions when at speed and slightly opening the vents on my textile jacket. The looks I get wearing a jacket in the summer is funny as all. (keeps the cool air inside).
Ride safe!

Top Bottom