Braided brake lines

Bike
1995 ST100
STOC #
Hi All,

Wanted to pass along some info, I needed to replace brake and clutch lines with braided but wasn't interested in the "one size fits all" approach and wanted to retain the factory hard lines, mounts and look. So in my search someone here mentioned "Brake material & parts" out of Fort Wayne, Ind. (260)-426-3331 and spoke to Scott.

I sent him the brake and clutch lines with all the mounting bushings and hard lines still connected from a buddies bike. He called and said he could do the job and keep it stock in appearance so we had him make 2 sets for our bikes.

A week later they came and we installed my buddies set, and we must say they fit like a glove, retain the factory hard line over the fender and all mounting bushings fit perfectly. The quality in my opinion is A-1. Although we did not take pics of the install I will be taking them during the install on my bike.

Now for the big question, how much$$$. I paid $260 with shipping for one set. I know some will say that's a lot when you can buy off the shelve lines and get close and just tie up the excess under the body work and run two separate lines for the front wheel. Which is what my buddy did on his old ST1100 about 10 yrs ago and he remembers pay in the $150-170 range. For us it was worth spending a few extra bucks. I know this will not be for everybody but wanted to put out this option to fellow ST"ers.

http://www.brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for that info Dave. How different do the brakes feel? Do you think they are "better" with the SS lines?

OP
OP
dbuck44
Bike
1995 ST100
STOC #
I haven't installed mine yet, but I've rode my buddies bike with them and you do notice a difference, firmer brake, much better grab. Especially on the older bikes, the rubber flex line will weaken with time and expand with brake applied giving a soft brake. In my opinion its one of the best safety and performance upgrades you can do.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
+1 on the improved feel of the front brakes with SS lines.
I did mine just after I bought it in 2001 and felt, and still feel, an immediate improvement both in 'handle-feel' and in braking.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I know this will not be for everybody but wanted to put out this option to fellow ST"ers.
Thanks for that. There is always someone willing to go the extra mile or put in the extra time or spend the extra buck for a custom part or setup. Something like this is well worth their money.

I will probably never to the SS line route but it's appreciated that there is someone who would do it the way I would want. It sound like you and your buddy got want you wanted. Any idea that a quality "universal fit" set would have cost? This is probably not a "group buy" thing but it would be cool.

Looking forward to your install pics!!

OP
OP
dbuck44
Bike
1995 ST100
STOC #
I did not dig to deep for the universal fit option but it seemed to get close to $150+ and I didn't like the 2 separate line to the front calipers, and I never got as far as looking up a clutch line. The folks at Brake material & parts that did these now have on file what it take to make these, and if a group were to call with an order he may make a better deal. I told him I would spread the word here. My thought on this is I'll probably on buy one set of SS line in the life of the bike so why skimp, you only have 2 tires and brakes, those are items I don't go cheap on.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The folks at Brake material & parts that did these now have on file what it take to make these, and if a group were to call with an order he may make a better deal.
Yeah but how many other guys have an ST100? All seriousness aside it looks like you made a solid investment for not that much more of settling for a universal fit. Now if only someone with an ST1300 would send their lines in...

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I may be interested in a group buy on the 1100 lines.

Made a big difference on my XS 1100. I did only the fronts.

OP
OP
dbuck44
Bike
1995 ST100
STOC #
IMG_3351.JPGIMG_3349.JPGIMG_3353.JPGIMG_3356.JPGIMG_3355.JPG

I installed the lines this weekend, here are a few pics. The lines are very well done with fitting angle and mounting bushings in the correct spots. The fit was perfect, you will not be disappointed if you order these. Install was straight forward, my only word of advice is take your time and have the right tools for the job. I could see it being very easy to strip a flare fitting on these older bike if you rush into it, use a good line wrench and PB blaster.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Dave :

I'm the guy who mentioned on this Forum about Brake Materials & Parts in Ft. Wayne. Would you believe I was in Ft. Wayne a few weeks ago and saw your old brake lines waiting to be "copied" when I stopped in to meet Scott in person. He made a few sets for me too, for my ST1100 & GL1100I. That shop is unique and Scott has been in business for 30 years there. That price , I think is very reasonable for the small diameter, teflon lined brake lines.

OP
OP
dbuck44
Bike
1995 ST100
STOC #
Jim:

Small world. Thanks for the mention, I found it in an old post and after checking with him knew he was the man for the job, and I couldn't be happier with the results!!! My job involves race cars and some classic cars and I will be using him for all future brake part needs. Scott is great to work with, turn around was very fast. I encourage anyone looking for SS brake lines to give him a call and compare, you might save a "few" bucks with off the self lines but they won't compare.

Bike
GL1800 2015
Yeah but how many other guys have an ST100? All seriousness aside it looks like you made a solid investment for not that much more of settling for a universal fit. Now if only someone with an ST1300 would send their lines in...
+1! I'm in for a group buy if it happens!....

OP
OP
dbuck44
Bike
1995 ST100
STOC #
A couple of people have mention a group buy, and if I wasn't gearing up for race season ( I crew a road race team, sports cars) I would be happy to coordinate but free time for me is about to be limited as we travel a lot for the race series. I posted Scotts info at the top of this post and encourage someone to run with it, he is a great guy to work with.

Bike
GL1800 2015
A couple of people have mention a group buy, and if I wasn't gearing up for race season ( I crew a road race team, sports cars) I would be happy to coordinate but free time for me is about to be limited as we travel a lot for the race series. I posted Scotts info at the top of this post and encourage someone to run with it, he is a great guy to work with.
Well I'm in no hurry! Since My Brake lines aren't gonna go south any time soon!
If you should happen to get something goin..or anybody else...(even next Winter would work for me!)
Please shoot me a PM, I'll be in!

OP
OP
dbuck44
Bike
1995 ST100
STOC #
Yes. We had 2 complete sets done, including the clutch line, for the ST1100. With shipping we paid $521. When he quoted me it was $252 for each set I believe. When I price "the one size fits all get it close" lines I was close to $200 without the clutch line. I'll also add that the "T" block at the front fender will come with the set, as those lines are crimped in. The new T fitting will accept the cross over hard line keeping the stock appearance and eliminate the need to run 2 separate line from the reservoir to the front calipers.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
What amazed me was he was able to duplicate the OEM brake lines, including the T-block. He has a source for all the weird fittings and has most of them in stock.

Not sure Scott would go for a discount group buy, but it never hurts to ask. The reason I say this is because he had a bunch of work sitting on the floor. He has no shortage of jobs to do. He is a busy guy.

And he does a lot more than brake lines. He had two vacuum brake boosters out of WWII trucks to rebuild. He said as far as he knows, he is the only person in the country that does those units. I'm going to contact him about sleeving down a Moto Guzzi rear master cylinder.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Not sure Scott would go for a discount group buy, but it never hurts to ask. The reason I say this is because he had a bunch of work sitting on the floor. He has no shortage of jobs to do. He is a busy guy.
One cost cutting option is to do the front brakes only, and leave the clutch and rear brake stock. The front brakes are the main thing that benefits from the SS lines, the other two don't flex that much anyway. I suspect a lot of people here would prefer the aesthetics of matching lines, but for those who don't care just do the fronts.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
One cost cutting option is to do the front brakes only, and leave the clutch and rear brake stock. The front brakes are the main thing that benefits from the SS lines, the other two don't flex that much anyway. I suspect a lot of people here would prefer the aesthetics of matching lines, but for those who don't care just do the fronts.
And it's cheaper too if Scott copies the OEM rubber brake lines, instead of doing them in the braided, teflon lined style. He did mine in the OEM rubber style. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was about 75% of OEM. And he made the fronts 4 inches longer because I made some home brew handlebar risers. In retrospect, I probably should have shelled out the extra $$ for the braided lines ....... but I'm cheap.

Top Bottom