St1300 silencers on a st1100?

Bike
Honda st 1100 1989
Hello all, has anybody fit the exhaust silencers of a st 1300 on a st1100 I assume they are the same fitment, unfortunately the nasty uk weather has eaten mine ☹ I know they are a few aftermarket ones but I like the look of the 1300 ones.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I don't think assuming they are the same fitment is a good assumption at all. They are completely different bikes with little in common past the name on the tank. Even if you could manage to force fit them, it's important to note the ST1300 silencers include catalytic converters, unlike the ST1100.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda st 1100 1989
Oh yes I forgot about the cat on them shame really as I like the look of them. Oh well looks like I'll replace the full system with a stainless one

OP
OP
Bike
Honda st 1100 1989
I have looked into this and been to my local motorcycle shop to check fittings they are slightly different but with a little custom work will fit I will post full updates when the used exhaust arrives

Bike
ST1300
Still the exhaust backpressure those pipes supply is completely different from the original ST1100 pipes. And, but that's just my farmer's opinion, an ST1100 shouldn't have ST1300 pipes, like a Mercedes doesn't need a BMW logo.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda st 1100 1989
I am currently removing the cat with a little help from my angle grinder and drill :) the standard exhaust on the st are unbelievably basic but look sxxt imho, I know I am going to upset some people by mixing the two bikes tougher. Back pressure issue should not be two much of a problem. If all else fails and it doesn't work so be it I tried

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I am currently removing the cat with a little help from my angle grinder and drill :) the standard exhaust on the st are unbelievably basic but look sxxt imho, I know I am going to upset some people by mixing the two bikes tougher. Back pressure issue should not be two much of a problem. If all else fails and it doesn't work so be it I tried
Interested in how you are removing the cat as it's welded in place at the forward part of the assembly.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda st 1100 1989
I'll upload pics as soon as I can with a little bit of careful cutting even welded in things can be removed , no wonder theses exhaust get extremely hot with all the junk inside it

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If all else fails and it doesn't work so be it I tried
And if it works you've customized your ride to your liking. Manufacturers usually tune the exhaust to each bike for different reasons- performance economy emissions etc may be some or all the factors. I have no doubt some or all of these will be affected by the change of mufflers. If you're lucky the change won't be noticeable. Or at least acceptable.

I've never liked the mufflers on later motorcycles in general and the ST1300's were no exception. I'm ok with them now and that's as good as it gets. What I'd really like as a quality version of the old Paul Dunstall slip-ons made for the 750Four. The chrome was carp but the shape and sound were amazing. I'd even settle for megaphones like those on my old V65 Sabre. Or the 650 Nighthawk in a pinch.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I think they will work just fine, if you can get them to fit. Please let us know how it works out with some pics ??

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Should work ok. I used to have a 1957 Standard, Companion automobile Do any of our members from across the pond recognize this? no one else has for 53 years. I couldn't find any exhaust parts so used one silencer from a triumph 500 motorcycle. it worked quite well. Kept me from getting tickets for excessively loud exhaust. {edited for date}

Bike
VStrom 650
Should work ok. I used to have a 1957 Standard, Companion automobile Do any of our members from across the pond recognize this? no one else has for 53 years. I couldn't find any exhaust parts so used one silencer from a triumph 500 motorcycle. it worked quite well. Kept me from getting tickets for excessively loud exhaust. {edited for date}
Standard, didn't they become Standard Triumph around that time. It would all have ended up under Leyland, British Leyland, Rover and maybe even BMW in the end. Someone will still own the brand, probably the blummin Chinese.
But I don't think I remember your Standard Companion........I'm far toooooooo young.
This is of course how BMW came to make the very none Mini, Mini.
Upt.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Yes it was manufactured by British Leyland. A very small "station wagon" (for lack of a better description).

Bike
VStrom 650
Sad we never got the ending here...
Mortenk, I agree, but let's give it a go.
After many hundreds of hours and much beer and whisky consumption.........
"WHY THE F'IN BLUMMIN HECK DID I EVER THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA, OR FOR THAT MATTER EVEN AN IDEA"!
You're welcome.
Upt.

Top Bottom