Fork oil old okay?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Quick clarification...Do I need to remove the damper to change oil in the forks...The method mentioned above is how i have done mine for the past 5 years on my old VTX with the exception of using brake clean.

I am assuming that i do not need to remove it and all i need to do is flush them with the damper and valve in them as i have done in the past?

Thank you all.
There is no need to remove the cartridge (damper??) from the lower fork leg. The old oil can be pumped out by inverting the fork to drain oil and then pumping a cleaning agent like ATF, solvent, or brake cleaner out the same way - inversion and pumping the slider and rod as many times as necessary to go dry.

Any commonality in fork oil height? And are you measuring the level with springs in or out? I am getting ready to install my Race Tech springs and planning to stay with a 10wt.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Any commonality in fork oil height? And are you measuring the level with springs in or out? I am getting ready to install my Race Tech springs and planning to stay with a 10wt.
RaceTech suggest 130mm, that is the height from the top of the fork leg to the oil surface, with the fork leg fully compressed, and the spring removed. Make sure you have pumped the cartridge and the fork leg up and down to displace any air before you do this.

Top Bottom