To Ride an ST1300? That's an Old Man's Bike! So my Oldest Son tells me....

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My dad that passed away 2 years ago at 97 and who went hang gliding at 90 while I watched. It was gliding while in tow behind a boat in the ocean. Always would say, you are as young as you feel, so stay active so you can keep on keeping on.
That's great to hear that folks at that age can still active. I lost my dad back in '91 at the age of '62. He had had some tough medical issues the 15 years before he went. That was hard to watch!

Bike
R1200rt
This made me chuckle today:
"I don't feel like an old man. I feel like a young man that has something wrong with him."

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
remember when mom or your wife would say "act your age " well now you can point to the st site and say "I am "

Bike
2005 ST1300
So shouldn't there be some rule that you have to earn your way to an ST? Then the young guys would have to work to get to the top of the ladder.:D

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
So shouldn't there be some rule that you have to earn your way to an ST? Then the young guys would have to work to get to the top of the ladder.:D
I surely am glad there isn't such a rule, or I'd never have got there. Jumped into the game two seasons ago as a 52 year old rookie, straight to the ST1300. If I'd had to "earn" my way up a ladder I'd still be on a QA50. Or maybe a Vespa.

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
I heard that German saying a lot growing up, my German grandmother said it with an authentic accent.

When I was in high school I never understood how my dad liked his pickups so much, a muscle car was way cooler.
Now that I'm mid 50s myself I totally understand, love my pickup and '05 ST.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I surely am glad there isn't such a rule, or I'd never have got there. Jumped into the game two seasons ago as a 52 year old rookie, straight to the ST1300. If I'd had to "earn" my way up a ladder I'd still be on a QA50. Or maybe a Vespa.
Sorry You are quite correct. I was thinking more along the lines of the gray hair of accomplishment as my Grandpa use to use on us kids all the time. :D

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
When I was 19 I lucked into a BMW R75/5 with the 6 gallon touring tank and a Windjammer knockoff fairing. I got teased a lot about the "old man's bike" by the guys who wanted to race me who were on Honda 750's, Suzuki Buffalos and Kawa 900s. My come back was that a 1/4 mile was a sissy race and I would race them from F'ton, NB to Montreal and back leaving the next morning at 8 am. About 800 miles/1280 kms each way. None of them would take me up on it. With the ST1300 I can match the young whippersnappers on speed and suggest that an Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean run and back again is a worthwhile race.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
When I was 19 I lucked into a BMW R75/5 with the 6 gallon touring tank and a Windjammer knockoff fairing. I got teased a lot about the "old man's bike" by the guys who wanted to race me who were on Honda 750's, Suzuki Buffalos and Kawa 900s. My come back was that a 1/4 mile was a sissy race and I would race them from F'ton, NB to Montreal and back leaving the next morning at 8 am. About 800 miles/1280 kms each way. None of them would take me up on it. With the ST1300 I can match the young whippersnappers on speed and suggest that an Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean run and back again is a worthwhile race.
Right on Jim! From my experience, the boy-racer cafe types in their shorts and flip-flops would run out of steam well before the Hartland Covered Bridge - and that would be taking the easy way and not going over the Renous Highway "road". If you just look at the odometers in any motorcycle parking area, you seldom see mileages above about 20-30,000 (km or miles) - except on the "old man" bikes like STs, Gold Wings, Bimmers and the occasional Harley. True, some young folks ride a long way....(most of us did I suspect) - but most do not. That is, of course, their choice - but they really should not be poking us for doing what we enjoy.

wgelhar

Wade
Bike
2002 ST1100
My son-in-law ( that phrase kinda makes me feel old ) has a 2004 yammy VMax 1200. In his words, a muscle bike. Last fall him and I were out for a ride and as I causally pulled away from a stop sign, he bolted up along side and gave his throttle a few twists. ( my first summer with my '91 ST and we hadn't rode together much ). So we both backed off to 5-7 mph, he nodded and we both pinned it. Side by side until slightly above the posted speed. He was more than impressed because he knows his muscle bike can't come close in the twistys. This spring he is trying to sell that VMax and get a ST. #notsooldnow

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My son-in-law ( that phrase kinda makes me feel old ) has a 2004 yammy VMax 1200. In his words, a muscle bike. Last fall him and I were out for a ride and as I causally pulled away from a stop sign, he bolted up along side and gave his throttle a few twists. ( my first summer with my '91 ST and we hadn't rode together much ). So we both backed off to 5-7 mph, he nodded and we both pinned it. Side by side until slightly above the posted speed. He was more than impressed because he knows his muscle bike can't come close in the twistys. This spring he is trying to sell that VMax and get a ST. #notsooldnow
When I commuted over the Angeles Crest and Forest Hwys back in 1988 to 1993, I came across a VMax one time. I was on a '85 VF700 Sabre and in the straights he would leave me behind, but I would catch him on the corners. Well, there are more corners than straights, so my opportunity came where he went wide and I took him by going to right up to the right shoulder. I poured it on for a number of curves after that and never saw him again! :D

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
... All this done while raising the wind screen and making sure they could see my graying beard. They sat there at that stop sign for a long time as I headed east. I was thinking about this thread, really is this and old mans bike. I should have passed them. 60 feels younger every day.
Hey Paul, 60 isn't old (anymore). Aside from the loss of stamina and physical endurance over the years, I feel like I pretty much behave like a 25YO in a (almost) 75YO body.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I had a '63 R60/2 , with the Earles front fork , that I had restored back in the mid-'80s That twin only put out about 30 hp. My brother in law visits me one time with a KZ1000 with performance mods included. So , living then in Columbus , Indiana , I led him out to Brown County and down twisty Indiana 135. After about 20 minutes of twisties , I look in my mirror and didn't see him anywhere ! Waited awhile then backtracked about a mile and here he was coming. He couldn't figure out how I could handle the twisties like that , his muscle bike wouldn't ! I was surprised too , he had 3 X the power of an antique technology R60 ! Do muscle bikes really handle the twisties that bad ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a '63 R60/2 , with the Earles front fork , that I had restored back in the mid-'80s That twin only put out about 30 hp. My brother in law visits me one time with a KZ1000 with performance mods included. So , living then in Columbus , Indiana , I led him out to Brown County and down twisty Indiana 135. After about 20 minutes of twisties , I look in my mirror and didn't see him anywhere ! Waited awhile then backtracked about a mile and here he was coming. He couldn't figure out how I could handle the twisties like that , his muscle bike wouldn't ! I was surprised too , he had 3 X the power of an antique technology R60 ! Do muscle bikes really handle the twisties that bad ?
Often, it's the rider! :D

I had a little ride back in 2005 with a Nephew of mine, he was on a Ninja 900 and I was on my V65 Sabre. He couldn't believe that I could stay up with him!

Arizona Ride 2005

His Ninja is the one first in the picture.

Top Bottom