To Ride an ST1300? That's an Old Man's Bike! So my Oldest Son tells me....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You just never know what your kids are going to come up with next! :eek::

I got a text from my oldest son last weekend wanting to know how much I want for one of my ST1300s. When I asked him why, he answered, ?to ride of course!? So what is so wrong with his answer? Well, let?s start with him always bad mouthing my ST1300s as ?The Old Man?s Bikes? And Old Man, isn?t for his ?Old Man?, but Old Men in particular!

So when I asked him what changed his mind, he says that one of his racing buddies has a ST1300 and was telling my son how great of a bike it is and that was his favorite to ride! So why do they listen to their friends, and NEVER their Dads?

So we discussed what he wanted and how much I wanted and came up with a deal. He plans on painting the entire bike Gun-metal gray, so he?s not concerned that the parts would be color matched, which is perfect, so I will take off all the blue I can and replace it with the black that I have. The topbox will come off and all other FARKLEs to put the bike mostly stock!

I?ll also change out all the fluids for him and I might even have to swap out the fuel injectors, I think one or two might be a bit plugged from sitting those 6 to 7 years before I got it. So now that I know what he wants/what I?m going to give him, I can now start working on it this weekend!

One bike down, one to go! :D

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
It's like that... Kids just think their parents are so "uncool" and don't know anything. It is usually after they have had a few hard lessons "not listening to their parents" that they begin to understand the dad and mom really had their backs. As for the ST1300, correct him and tell him it is a "Mature" mans motorcycle... not an "old man's ride". Tell him you will sell it to him, but he has to grow up a little to ride it!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
My Dad had an expression...the older I get, the less stupid my father seems to be. There is also a German version (go into German accent here)....too soon old, too late schmart!

Bike
03 ST1300
MaxPete: After my Dad (heavily German) passed away, I grabbed this sign from his house before we cleaned it out and sold the house.

The sign now resides over my bar.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Heck, my parents didn't know anything till I was at least 30 years old......:). :06biker:

ToddC

Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
My son in law likes caf? racers and thinks the ST1300 looks like some space vehicle. One of is friends dad had a ST and told him don't be fooled that the ST is bad to the bone. Now he has a little more respect for the ST. It just takes a little time for them to come around.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
My son in law likes caf? racers and thinks the ST1300 looks like some space vehicle. One of is friends dad had a ST and told him don't be fooled that the ST is bad to the bone. Now he has a little more respect for the ST. It just takes a little time for them to come around.
Yeah same here! just as soon as he saw my front end riding up on his *** like a freight train coming! My son in law was pretty amazed how the ST did against his rocket. and even followed along behind when my turn to lead.. He said wouldn't try to ride a bike that big like that. .... Says never thought he would admit, the St is now cool!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, Bobby is the one that rode the Triump ST for our Southwest tour and decided that kind of riding wasn't for him and sold it. He's the one wanting to buy the '04#2 now.

My other two riding sons love the ST1300s, Justin is the one that bought the '05 off of me and Brett used my '04#1 for the Southwest tour. Brett would love to buy one, but they are expecting a baby any day now, so he is stuck with riding his Yamaha 600 for a little longer.

Yeah, it is funny that Dad doesn't know squat, until one of their friends say otherwise! LOL

Bike
ST1300A4
My son gained an appreciation for how fast bikes like these are when he was following me driving the Jaguar XJ8 and I accelerated away from him as though he was stationary. I do tell people that my naked Suzuki Bandit appeals to my inner hooligan, the Pan to my inner pensioner :)

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
My youngest, 27, has called dibs on my bike since the first time he rode it. He tells me all the time I can't trade it or sell it. I guess I'll will it to him cause right now the ST still makes me happy and I'll be rolling up the miles for a while. :)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, my son backed out, so now I need to get this bike ready to sell!

[h=1]“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” - Mark Twain[/h]

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
[h=1]“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” - Mark Twain[/h]
Except this son is forty and still thinks his "old Man" is clueless! Maybe someday he'll brighten up...lol

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Except this son is forty and still thinks his "old Man" is clueless! Maybe someday he'll brighten up...lol
But, you are an old man. Wait, so am I, man.....this sucks.....
That being sed, when I passed a young squid, on the outside, entering a highway, he had no idea of how many years young I am. Yeah, sure, he can wheelie, but he couldn't corner to save his life.
Old? Sure, but I can hold my own with the young bucks......:D

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
All young people think we can't do a thing until they get schooled. Last weekend as I was getting on the main road from my street I saw two sport bikes turning on the main road off the next street up. Guys from the city come out to my part of the county to ride the twisty roads. I saw that they had opened up there bikes so I decided to follow. They looked back and sped up again as I follow after see me. The next four curves demand all your attention or you will end up in the woods cut up by barbed wire fences. Coming out of the curves guest who was on there butt. I thought about passing but backed off. Boy that felt so good. I ride those curves every day. They actually slowed down on the straight part of the road. Maybe they thought I was a LEO. It is an ST. At the next stop sign I pulled up to there right side already having the modular face bar raised. I gave then a head nod as I stopped . All this done while raising the wind screen and making sure they could see my graying beard. They sat there at that stop sign for a long time as I headed east. I was thinking about this thread, really is this and old mans bike. I should have passed them. 60 feels younger every day.

Bike
R1200rt
“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” - Mark Twain
come on now,,, we have all met parents that were clueless and their kids even more !!! Hell I've had teachers that were clueless..

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
This made me chuckle today:
"I don't feel like an old man. I feel like a young man that has something wrong with him."

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Bike
No bike
STOC #
it is an old mans bike , just look at our demographics !!!
Ha.... good point right there, shortly after I joined the site I was scrolling through the birthday thread and laughing at the age of my fellow ST riders, honestly I am thrilled to see so many oldish folks out there still riding, gives me hope that I'll still be riding in 30 years

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
My dad that passed away 2 years ago at 97 and who went hang gliding at 90 while I watched. It was gliding while in tow behind a boat in the ocean. Always would say, you are as young as you feel, so stay active so you can keep on keeping on.

Top Bottom