Was the ECM the permanent fix for the knock sensor bug?

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
but even if you borrow one for testing, the borrowed unit should have a key that will make it run the engine
--Mark
Mark, if you take a borrowed ECM to swap and do not enter the key that you're referring to will the problem still exist? I ask because I'm suffering the code 26 disease now and I did swap the ECM but I simply unplugged the two connectors on mine and then plugged them into the borrowed ECM. I went 235 miles on it on one ride with no light and the next morning it came on in 2 miles from morning startup.

Skip

Mark, if you take a borrowed ECM to swap and do not enter the key that you're referring to will the problem still exist? I ask because I'm suffering the code 26 disease now and I did swap the ECM but I simply unplugged the two connectors on mine and then plugged them into the borrowed ECM. I went 235 miles on it on one ride with no light and the next morning it came on in 2 miles from morning startup.

Skip
Skip, What happened next? When you put the borrowed one back on the other bike, did it work? If so, then I reckon your ECM is "probably" OK.

v8-7

Site Supporter
The borrowed ecu Skip tried was mine and it is in fact faulty..As was Skips stock ecu.

05model would only trigger code if run up over 4000 rpm
lugging in higher gear when knocking most likely to occur no light
shut off and restart clears lite and wont come back till 4000
replaced with used ecu and was fine for 1000 miles
then same thing
every now and then could run in lower gears well over 400 with no lite then next ride would trigger lite
something in program at 4000 rpm what???

v8-7

Site Supporter
interesting question raised in another thread,, can you feel the antiknock kick in when you get the code ?

yes very minor dip with mileage drop
if you didn't feel the little hiccup don't think you could tell the diff in performance
mileage is really the only clue
probably 5 mpg drop
if it wasn't right at 4000 or so wouldn't care but that is fight at traffic flow 72 to 75

interesting question raised in another thread,, can you feel the antiknock kick in when you get the code ?
As mentioned, you feel a minor drop in rpms when the fault occurs... if you're running a throttle lock at the time, you'll drop 5 mph or so when the fault occurs. Though the ECM module is not always the cause of the fault, in my case it was indeed the ECM that was fubar.

the fact the used one was good for many miles tells me something in the system triggers the fault above and beyond the ecu itself
makes me eery of buying new one

Top Bottom