front end vibration

Hi. I recrecently brought a 2nd hand 2007 St1300 with 7000 original km on it. I noticed vibrations through the handle bars when decelerating, no brakes applied, from 110km. I had a similar problem with a previous bike and I changed the tyres and did a balance and that fixed it. The ST had the original tyres on it and so I replaced them with Pirelli Angel GT'S, not the ones preferred in the owners manual. The bike shop did t thinkthat would be an issue. Outcome, it is better, less vibration, only really obvious decelerating between 80 and 60 kmh. So... any ideas what might be causing the vibration and how do I fix it?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I would bet that the problem is with the front tire as I have tried some different brands that caused the same problem. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
there is a very specific method for properly "seating" the front axle after a tire change. I had the same issues. I followed the procedure and it took care of it.
Now to find it for you....Do a search on here.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Hi to all.
Have noticed that from 100 mph appear front end vibration. I have rebalanced both wheels, but it does not help. What can be?
Thanks.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Replying to post #6: Bent or otherwise damaged wheel, worn or damaged tire. Check for axial and lateral runout of both.

Last edited:
Headstock bearings. Bike on mainstand rear end tied down and see if there is any play in the triple clamps, Its a heavy front end to wiggle about though, If there is play you may notice it by pushing the bike fore and aft with the front brake on.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
It can be several things. Start with simple, then work your way up. Steps 1&2 usually fix things.

1. Be sure the wheel is mounted correctly using the procedure listed above with the left pinch bolts loose. I do not apply the brakes, instead push the wheel up against a fixed object and bounce the suspension. I read somewhere that the brakes can mess up this alignment, who knows? Anyway, this has worked for me.
2. Remove and balance the F. wheel. Check the wheel bearings. Check tire for roundness. R&R if necessary.
4. Check your REAR tire for balance and roundness. Yep, an out of round rear tire can make your steering feel unstable. R&R if necessary.
5. Check your steering head bearings, if any play, then you get to R&R or at least lube and adjust.

And yes, I have bought several tires that were out of round over the years. Good luck.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Hi. I recrecently brought a 2nd hand 2007 St1300 with 7000 original km on it. I noticed vibrations through the handle bars when decelerating, no brakes applied, from 110km. I had a similar problem with a previous bike and I changed the tyres and did a balance and that fixed it. The ST had the original tyres on it and so I replaced them with Pirelli Angel GT'S, not the ones preferred in the owners manual. The bike shop did t thinkthat would be an issue. Outcome, it is better, less vibration, only really obvious decelerating between 80 and 60 kmh. So... any ideas what might be causing the vibration and how do I fix it?
First thing I would check is the pre-load adjuster. Search the forum. Once fluid is replaced, set preload at 4 clicks in from fully soft, and set the damper screw on the right side bottom of shock to 1.5 turns out (counter clockwise) from lightly seated, and start there.
Make sure your tires have 42 psi in both.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Start with the obvious. Check your air pressure and stiffen up the rear shock a bit.

Sorry, I just saw Igofar said the same.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi to all.
Have noticed that from 100 mph appear front end vibration. I have rebalanced both wheels, but it does not help. What can be?
Thanks.
What tires do you have? I had a new set of dunlop roadsmarts and it appeared a belt separated within the 1st 300 miles. Suspension is the obvious culprit but helps to consider everything.

ad1993pan

Vendor
Bike
ST1100
Folks
I had it driving appr. 100 miles per hour, front and back were shaking like mad
It could be the toptrunk or you must put your windscreen in another position
There is a company in Holland that makes wedges behind the screen Company is called Nico Bakker costs for 2 wedges appr. US 175,--
This could also help, i drive since 1week Pilot Rod 4 GT
Ad

Top Bottom