Right Cam Gear Timing Belt Guide ??

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Here is something to think about....... I took a close look at the serpentine belt on my Jeep. There are seven pulleys that the belt travels over. The serpentine belt has about 6 grooves; it's not a cog belt like the timing belt on the ST1100. So the grooves on each pulley ( except the smooth water pump pulley ) should keep the belt from moving back and forth across the pulleys. But all the pulleys have a built-in like guide plate on each side.

Now I'm wondering if I can somehow add a few more guide plates on the ST1100. I have only three. One on each of the cam gears and the crankshaft gear.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Here is something to think about....... I took a close look at the serpentine belt on my Jeep. There are seven pulleys that the belt travels over. The serpentine belt has about 6 grooves; it's not a cog belt like the timing belt on the ST1100. So the grooves on each pulley ( except the smooth water pump pulley ) should keep the belt from moving back and forth cross the pulleys. But all the pulleys have a built-in like guide plate on each side.

Now I'm wondering if I can somehow add a few more guide plates on the ST1100. I have only three. One on each of the cam gears and the crankshaft gear.
you're pulling our leg, right?

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Hey, Doug, I'm disappointed, you are finally catching on. In my old age, I must be losing my edge ...........:cry:

But seriously ( seriously ) , after I saw all those pulley's on my Jeep with all those built-in "guides' , I think I did the right thing adding that one extra guide plate on my old ST1100.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
BTW, Got the bike running this last weekend. Everything sounds good at this point. I'm not expecting any problems with the extra guide plate. If I do, I'll eat crow and post the bad news.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Jim, I really doubt that you are going to have any problems at all, and I expect that will be the case. But if you do, and the timing belt eats itself, we can all hope said guide plate comes through the cataclysmic failure unscathed so that you can install it on your next engine to continue this experiment. One example does not a statistical sample make. Btw, forget about crows, turkeys taste better.

Peter

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Peter:

You make a good point. Statistical analysis is important in this experiment. I promise to re-install the extra guide plate on the Ebay replacement engine, if things go south with the extra guide plate. I'll even take a picture of it installed, as documentation and post it on this Forum.

BTW, I'm starting to think some of you guys are jealous because you don't have an extra guide plate on your ST1100 !!

Extra Guide Plate envy ???

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
BTW, I'm starting to think some of you guys are jealous because you don't have an extra guide plate on your ST1100 !!
I am... now that I know, my ST11 feels unbalanced! ;)

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
But seriously ( seriously ) , when I started the bike up after I installed the rebuilt water pump and extra guide plate, it seemed a bit smoother running than before. Might be due to the smoother coolant flow with the new impeller.

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Well, FYI , I now have about 5K miles on the new timing belt with the extra guide plate installed. No problems so far ...... I'll report back in another 5K miles.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I doubt that the belt actually touches the guide plate, while running the belt gets perfectly centred due the slight convex shape of the pulleys.
So the plate shall only prevent slip-off if belt/threads suffer structural failure.

Top Bottom