I ran a red light today

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Ran a red light today - on purpose! On my way to weekly lunch with the bunch (fellow riders), I came to a traffic light at a T junction. I was on the street that ends at the T, stopped in a left turn lane. I observed the traffic signals cycle a time or two to give a red light for traffic approaching from my left along with a green left turn light for traffic approaching from my right. Never had a green light or left turn arrow for my part of the T, and no cage approached the light from behind, so after a few minutes I realized that I wasn't going to get a green while I was parked there on my nonferrous motorcycle. BTW, the traffic lights also had traffic cameras. I had a choice; I could either make a right turn from the left turn lane and ride a few hundred yards to get to a U-turn opportunity, or simply make an equally illegal left turn in against the light and continue to my destination. I chose the latter, I figured if I get a ticket in the mail (not very likely) it should be easy to get out of paying any fine.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Or put a glove over the license tag..... never E-Z to talk to the bureaucracy about getting out of a ticket.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
WA law allows bike riders to do exactly what you did with no repercussions.....:)

ToddC

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Always annoying, I've made the same decision as you several times but never where a camera was involved, I doubt you'll get a ticket either, and would like to think you'll be able to talk your way out of it if you did. Interesting that WA has addressed the issue, rare that government does anything to resolve problems....

lti_57

Above the center of the Earth
Bike
95 ST 1100
WA law allows bike riders to do exactly what you did with no repercussions.....:)

ToddC
I have done this before they past the law. I think most of us have. But nice to see some logical thinking bureaucrat got this past.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

ToddC
+1. Same here in WI as long as you wait a minute at the stoplight first.

BTW, I've been known to count fast...

Bike
2010 ST1300
I asked this question a while ago LINK . The consensus was that it is legal to treat the stoplight as a stop sign after waiting a cycle or two. If you get the ticket, you should be able to explain the situation in a letter, but if you are dragged into court, you will probably need an attorney. There are relatively inexpensive magnets that mount on the bottom of a bike to trigger the loop embedded in the road. Fortunately, in Ohio, those cameras are unconstitutional.

Bike
R1200rt
Illinois law for light sensors has been passed, I am sure other states have the same or similar,, Illinois is usually last to do anything.. State Rep. Dan Beiser (D-Alton) says the new law means bikers can go through a red light if they wait a reasonable amount of time, but that amount isn’t yet defined.
“A reasonable amount of time, which was not defined in the bill, will be 120 seconds,” says Beiser. “So two minutes, that’s what we’ve come to agreement on.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
There are three lights in my immediate neighborhood that do this. Simply don't recognize the bike is there. Local police understand this...rule is that if you wait two cycles without getting a light, you can proceed when it's safe. Most of the time there are cars there with me and it's no problem. I have reported the issue multiple times but I continue doing so to keep my name on an active report. Only a few conversations with police...no tickets.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
BTDT.

On another note. Once I was the first person to stop at a light that had just turned red. As soon as I stopped I heard tires squealing, I looked in my mirror and saw a Dodge pickup pulling a trailer and swerving coming up on me fast. Quick traffic check and blasted through the intersection. I remember thinking that if there had been a red light camera it wouldn't have captured the situation and I would have gotten a ticket.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Don I do the same here as well. Before DOT responds to a complaint and retunes the sensor you can try a few things. The issue isn't an aluminum engine, a properly installed loop should be able to pick up a bicycle. Magnets can't help you they don't work that way. If it's a box cutout loop, stop near the edge by the cut out. If it's a box cut out with an cutout thru the center (like a boxy figure 8) stop over the center cutout. If the cuts are diag stop in the center. .02 it should be relatively easy and maybe cheaper to install and maintain a camera that recognizes vehicles and pedestrians and not OCR license plates in states that prohibit that.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
SD passed a law that motorcycles can run the light after a stop and no traffic is present.

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
I had to look this up for the GWRRA folks that I ride with. To re-enforce what Al ST1100 posted.
NOTE: The bill is rather long so I copied and pasted below the specific mention regarding Motorcycles
Public Act 097-0762

SB2528 Enrolled LRB097 14717 HEP 59704 b

AN ACT concerning transportation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:
Section 5. If and only if House Bill 2860 of the 97th
General Assembly becomes law, the Illinois Vehicle Code is
amended by changing Sections 11-208.6 and 11-306 as follows:

(625 ILCS 5/11-208.6)
(c-6) A county, or a municipality with less than 2,000,000
inhabitants, including a home rule county or municipality, may
not use an automated traffic law enforcement system to issue