WA to AZ and back

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Started off on a two week road trip today. Seattle to Phoenix and back. Have always wanted to make this trip, just hadn't made time.
View attachment 172094.
This is a ride my father did a few times in the early 80s on his pimped out 1980 GW. By 1985 he had over 120k on that bike. He even made the cover of the Gold Wing Road Riders month mag.

I have a place to stay once I get there and the wife is flying down next Monday to join me for three days. Planning on going down thru SLC and then down thru Flagstaff.

Does anyone have any suggestions for routes??? Or know of good inexpensive motels in that area??

Thanks, ToddC
_20160322_154657.jpg. Pic of said pimpcycle..:)

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Dependening on weather you could take I40 east to Holbrook and then head over to Show Low and take 60 down through the Salt River Canyon. Lots of curves and beautiful scenery.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Have a good safe ride and enjoy the hell out of it, sounds like a great trip!

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Morning of day two;

Weather is 42 degrees, rain last night but clearing up nicely. This the moon over Lake Roosevelt this am 1 hour before sunrise.
_20160324_062747.jpg
Meetting JRob in Davenport for coffee and to see his new 07 ST. Then a good 8 hours in the saddle and see where that gets me. Hopefully somewhere south of Boise ID.

ToddC

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
You know Todd if you show everyone our lakes we'll have a bunch of people showing up here...

Really folks, it's all sand, snakes, cactus, and scorpions.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
You know Todd if you show everyone our lakes we'll have a bunch of people showing up here...

Really folks, it's all sand, snakes, cactus, and scorpions.
Mark, you are thinking of Roosevelt Lake........not Lake Roosevelt. I haven't left WA yet. :). Both lakes are stunning!

ToddC

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Blast riding with you this morning. Although a bit cold and windy it was fun. Too bad work got in the way of me riding further.
Safe travels buddy.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
End of day two. Made it to Twin Falls ID. Wind blew all day 20 to 45 mph. From the Tri Cities area all the way Boise it was at my back....nice. But the morning run was pushing us sideways.

Sorry no pics today.....too windy to stop. Just wanted to get to the hotel and unwind. Now to find food and crash.

Thanks for all the well wishes and safe travels. Tomorrow should put me way south of SLC......

ToddC

PS. I forgot to add.......it rained for a few miles, hailed enough to blow is swirls across the HWY and then it snowed sloppy wet flakes for about10 miles. All-in the 80 mph zone in ID in an area of corners and big trucks doing well over their posted limits.... Concentration!!!!

T

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Phew. Snow, sleet, hail, high winds... and you are doing this for fun. Heckuva day.

There's something about the Day 1 pretrip photo that looks like it was taken a century or more ago. Add a pith helmet and elephant gun and you could be on safari. Love it.

Ride safe and enjoy.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Phew. Snow, sleet, hail, high winds... and you are doing this for fun. Heckuva day.

There's something about the Day 1 pretrip photo that looks like it was taken a century or more ago. Add a pith helmet and elephant gun and you could be on safari. Love it.

Ride safe and enjoy.
My safari get up...:). Could have used that elephant gun on a couple of trucks!

And the pic of the Gold Wing was from 1983 and is pic of pic.

Weather looking much better today. No wind and sunny. Yea!!

ToddC

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Depending on road conditions, here is a good route from SLC:
- south on I15 to Spanish Fork
- East on 6 then south on 89 to Faoirview
- east and south on 31 to Huntington
- south on 10 to I70 then continue south on 72 to Loa
- east on 24 to Torrey - good place to stay there is Broken Spur
- south on 12 to 89 (past Bryce Canyon)
- south on 89 and /or 89A to Page - places to stay in Kanab
- continue south to Flagstaff and PHX

Rod

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Depending on road conditions, here is a good route from SLC:
- south on I15 to Spanish Fork
- East on 6 then south on 89 to Faoirview
- east and south on 31 to Huntington
- south on 10 to I70 then continue south on 72 to Loa
- east on 24 to Torrey - good place to stay there is Broken Spur
- south on 12 to 89 (past Bryce Canyon)
- south on 89 and /or 89A to Page - places to stay in Kanab
- continue south to Flagstaff and PHX

Rod
Thanks, but I didn't see it soon enough. Weather looked nasty to the east so I slabbed down 15 to St.George. That proved to be a mistake, spring break in SLC so the place is booked. Found a OK room at twice the price it should be. Oh well free lodging starts tomorrow in AZ.

More update later.......

ToddC

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
OK. Day 3. Started nice, overcast with mild West winds. Temp about 38. Breakfast was typical hotel continental breakfast. Had a few bites of egg and biscuits and took two apples for the road. It quickly cooled off and the wind picked up to at least 25/35. Luckily, mostly at my back. It grew more overcast and dark as I looked down the road. Soon I could see it snowing to the left about 4 miles out....blowing my way. Looking to the left...snowing in the distance too.
I was able to split it before it over took the road behind me. Maybe got hit by 12 little ice pellets. Mostly a good ride with no issues. Had lunch south of SLC.

But I do have a few observations.

The weather in the Rockies is more varied than Washington.

Idaho has few STate troopers patrolling.

Utah has lots of troopers patrolling. Like WA STate.

I84 from the ID/OR border is 80mph all the way to I15 thru Utah except for the metro areas........yea!

With the discrepancy of the ST1300 speedo.....that means a stead speed indicated of 92 only puts you over legal by a couple mph....yea! I drove past troopers at least three times at 90mph indicated. No issues.
It is amazing how steady and solid this bike is at that speed for HOURS .....and I was getting passed.

Total miles so far 1417. ST. George UT. Time for rest.
_20160325_192149.jpg
Went from a low on the road of 36 degrees to a high of 73 when I stopped. Only 333 miles to go till free lodging. :bow1:

ToddC

Top Bottom