WA to AZ and back

Bike
2010 ST1300
Noticed any weave? Even with just commuting I have been running with a tank bag the wife got me for Christmas. It is nice having all the extra space.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Glad your trip is going well. And, the weather hasn't been too bad; especially for this time of year! Happy trails, and don't freeze :snow1:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the updates. Road trips are great aren't they!

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Glad your trip is going well. And, the weather hasn't been too bad; especially for this time of year! Happy trails, and don't freeze :snow1:
Thanks and done with the cold for now. Next week I hope the weather cooperates.
_20160325_210400.jpg

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Well, Day 4. St.George UT. Sunny....but dang, the wind is back and strong. Oh well.

Headed to Quartzite AZ. Another 350 miles and then a two day break. Then off the PHX AND A HOUSE! And a pool that is not filled with kids on Spring break....:)

ToddC

Bike
2005 ST1300
Sounds like an adventure Todd. Sorry I had to pass it up.

You are correct about I84 in Idaho. You can really haul the mail but not much for scenery.

Safe travels and hope you can dodge the elements.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
No weave....I think it's a myth...bit then I'm not doin120mph either.
I'm not sure that it's entirely a myth, but after owning two ST1300s with 45 liter top boxes, I've never experienced it. I had one of those bikes up to an indicated 130 mph (likely ~121 mph actual) before I ran out of road... oops, I mean "closed track." :D BTW, the bike was still accelerating before I rolled off. I suspect that "pan weave" has more to do with overloading than the presence of a top box.

Enjoy the sunshine, Todd. Ride safely.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
IIRC, the original analysis of the weave indicated it was influenced by gross weight as well as weight distribution, speed, air flow around the bike and rider(s), and other factors. It's not a guaranteed thing like turbulence passing thru the sound barrier. But it can be demonstrably repeated under specific conditions.

We now return to the topic of the thread. Hope you are having a great ride, Todd!

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
It's not a guaranteed thing like turbulence passing thru the sound barrier. But it can be demonstrably repeated under specific conditions.
It likely is best that we do not test a ST "thru the sound barrier." :) I suspect that certain conditions of "pan weave" can reliably be repeated.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'm not sure that it's entirely a myth, but after owning two ST1300s with 45 liter top boxes, I've never experienced it. I had one of those bikes up to an indicated 130 mph (likely ~121 mph actual) before I ran out of road... oops, I mean "closed track." :D BTW, the bike was still accelerating before I rolled off. I suspect that "pan weave" has more to do with overloading than the presence of a ktop box.

Enjoy the sunshine, Todd. Ride safely.
Thanks dude! I know what you mean by continuing to climb...I run out of courage first.:)

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
OK end of day report. Change of destination happened. My planned destination was of limited bedding accommodations. The thought of a travel trailer dinig table converted into my sleeping platform somehow didn't seem as comfortable as last night's King bed with HD TV and such. So I remembered I knew someone in the Lake Havassu area......and it's Spring break time.:)

So two short phone calls later.....I have a much better bed and it's not in the middle of a very windy dessert.

I know you were all very worried about my sleeping arrangements.......;)

Rode from St.George UT to Lake Havassu. Thru Las Vegas. All new roads for me. I95 South out of Vegas is interesting. Four lane nice asphault that has really long straight stretches, can see for miles. Then it turns into a very narrow roller coaster two lane road as soon as it hits CA. I thought I had taken the wrong road for about 25 miles.

Only interesting thing was how dang hard the wind was blowing. 70% of the time it was at my back......but the other times it felt like if I was leaning really hard sideways into the wind it just might sneak underneath me enough to lift and reduce my tires traction...doubtful I know...but it felt like that.

The other interesting thing was....upon leaving St.George UT it was a nice 57degrees but I kept seeing these large chunks of ice and snow on the hyway. It had snowed behind me in the SLC area after I went through and the trucks had picked it up and it was dropping off as it warmed.

My timing was good yesterday...

I tried to find a spot where I could take a pic of the bike with the London Bridge at Havassu... but couldn't find a spot....:mad:

Thanks for reading, ToddC

Bike
2005 ST1300
Wind is not fun. You might try pivoting your leg so your knee is pointing into the wind. That helps sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
I agree; wind is not fun. I have experienced gusts that nearly blew me into oncoming traffic.

I'm still trying to figure out what "windy desserts" are. They may be tasty. ;)

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Day 5. Sunday, Easter. No clouds no wind....ya Hoo!!!! Left Lake Havassu City at about 8am. After my wonderful night on a couch...:( Still better than a dining table in a travel trailer.

No one on the road. Headed to Quartzite AZ to see a friend.
_20160327_181609.jpg. Sun on the rocks at lake Havassu area.
Headed south towards Parker AZ.....nice road, cool rocks, fantastic weather compared to yesterday's wind. Lots of over tan old people...:)
IMG_20160327_080835.jpg

Pulled off at Parker to ride across the Parker dam. I was the only one there at 8:40am.
_20160327_181308.jpg

Headed into Quartzite and my friend had gone into an area without cell service..... Could not find him....dang. Rode onto Phoenix to my final destination...Goodyear AZ. Trivia for all of you.......do know why it is called Goodyear AZ????? The Goodyear tire CO owned all the land in that area for years to grow their special "long fiber cotton" used to make their tires...

Tomorrow my wonderful wife Kari flies in to join me in hanging out in the sun. Monday is our 18th anniversary. Tues Eve we will go see the last cactus league game for the Mariners. I may not have anything ST related to report the next few days.....but if I do.....you will be the first to hear. :)

Total miles so far.....1920 ! Ya freaking Hoooo ! Might break 4k total by the time I get home.

Thanks for reading......ToddC

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just wanted to let you all know everything is just fine in AZ......:)

_20160330_103405.jpg

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thurs night.....getting ready to hit the road home in am. Kari flew home today....no need to stay here. :)
Had a blast down here. Got to see old friends I haven't seen in over 20 years. Dang it sucks getting old. Knew these chaps when we were all youngsters in our 20s and 30s. Now we are all getting grey and a little pudgy. Made lots of good reconnections.
_20160330_103405.jpg
It's amazing how inexpensive housing is in Phoenix compared to Seattle! I can get a really nice home here for 1/2 the price of Seattle. Hhhhhhmmmmmmm. Honey...what would you think having a place down here? "Maybe."

And let the convincing begin.....:)

Leaving in am for return trip. Should be home by Sunday eve. Going up though Flagstaff cause the weather is looking really good! Will keep all you watchers posted.....

Total miles so far....2229

ToddC

Last edited:
Top Bottom