sena 20s

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Hey guys,

Who in our Ontario group is using the sena series coms more notably the 20s. How is the FM radio for reception?

Do the units pair up well for our group rides?

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Wow. No responses?????

I have the 20s and love it.. I dont use the Radio feature. Cant tell you much about that (Radio), but I do like the bike to bike communication. Once its linked its pretty easy to set it up again.. Initial set up for a group ride can be a bit of a pain. But once done it is nice to have.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Wondering the same as there are some good deals on these right now and looking at getting the 20's. Know the reviews are good but hope to hear some more feedback.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
The FM radio has pretty good reception. We usually listen to XM on the Wing, but I listen to FM when on the ST1300. My wife and I use the intercom on every ride, but haven't used it with other riders.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I have been using the sena units for years. now using the 20S for year no issues with sena-sena, sena-gps,or sena-phone. Loud speakers and great microphone most callers don't know I am cruising the highway during the call. I would definitely buy again. I have used several sena units

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Use Sena 10 and gf uses a 20. Never tried the FM, but the bluetooth works good. 20's are marginally better sounding then the 10, not sure if it is worth the price premium and you give up the waterproof. She doesn't plan on any riding in the rain so not that big a deal but since things don't always go as planned...

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Use Sena 10 and gf uses a 20. Never tried the FM, but the bluetooth works good. 20's are marginally better sounding then the 10, not sure if it is worth the price premium and you give up the waterproof. She doesn't plan on any riding in the rain so not that big a deal but since things don't always go as planned...
Give up the waterproof? As far as I know the Sena 20s is waterproof/resistant

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Give up the waterproof? As far as I know the Sena 20s is waterproof/resistant
We don't know what you think you know Karl... you eating old carrot cake again?
Do a quick google and you will see it pop up in quite a few forums. I was surprised myself too. It is resistant, but Sena says not to wear it in showers.. just bathing.
The 10 is not technically waterproof either, just resistant. but not nearly as many people claiming issues and moaning online.

=====================================
from Sena tech support:
AG-Sena Tech Support, Jul 10, 11:23 AM:

20s are not water proof, just water resistance to differing inclements of weather, which is a subjective and case by case definition.
Use and exercise fair caution when riding with them. I'd suggest not riding with them in any type of showers.
[/quote]

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Sena Technologies Inc. Support Team

==========================

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I don't use the FM in my 20S, but I really like the unit. Finally found the best way (for me) to pair it with my BMW and phone. I use hardwired earbuds which sound a lot better than the in-helmet speakers, although those speakers sound better than other bluetooth helmet setups I've tried. Battery lasts longer with the earbuds, too. The 20S does way more than I need, but what I do need it does well.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
We don't know what you think you know Karl... you eating old carrot cake again?
Do a quick google and you will see it pop up in quite a few forums. I was surprised myself too. It is resistant, but Sena says not to wear it in showers.. just bathing.
The 10 is not technically waterproof either, just resistant. but not nearly as many people claiming issues and moaning online.

=====================================
from Sena tech support:
AG-Sena Tech Support, Jul 10, 11:23 AM:

20s are not water proof, just water resistance to differing inclements of weather, which is a subjective and case by case definition.
Use and exercise fair caution when riding with them. I'd suggest not riding with them in any type of showers.

There is no reason to be rude, I'm am not stupid I know plenty. I have plenty of experience riding with the 20s in the rain and I have not had an issue yet.
That is my personal experience with the 20 s not a competitor paid bloggers, opinion.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Sorry, I/She don't use the FM. They sound pretty good with Bluetooth music from my phone. Intercom works pretty good and even used music sharing several times (with pillion). Do have some breaks in the Bluetooth music sometimes.
Also, We got these less than 1 year ago. First time we used Dana's set went dead in 15 min. Had to send unit back, now ok.
Recently on Big Bend trip my 20S would not pair with phone. Had to send my unit back last week. Should be back from CA any day now.
Not convinced yet, Sena is better than the GW wired setup.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have had the Sena 20s for about a year now. I've had no issues with it. FM Reception is quite good in the city, getting out in the outskirts the reception is not as good as a car radio (nor would I expect to be). I also have the handlebar mounted remote control and love that. It pairs up easily with the 20s and is quite easy to switch between FM Radio and regular bluetooth audio. Software updates have improved this headset.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Sorry Karl, not meant to offend. Made a joke and it came out wrong.

I don't doubt your mileage or the rain you ride in. I'm not bashing Sena, I have three of them myself.
But following closely the SMH10 was never reporting nearly as many rain problems as the 20's. Nor did I ever see a Sena tech recommend you remove the 10 if you were going to be in rain.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I don't use the FM in my 20S, but I really like the unit. Finally found the best way (for me) to pair it with my BMW and phone. I use hardwired earbuds which sound a lot better than the in-helmet speakers, although those speakers sound better than other bluetooth helmet setups I've tried. Battery lasts longer with the earbuds, too. The 20S does way more than I need, but what I do need it does well.
Bones,
Noticed this past weekend during a 31hr rally that my aging Sena SMH5 is not holding a charge nearly as long as it used to. Mine died about 5 hrs sooner than my wife's. Time to replace and of course I do a search on ST-O. I'm looking at the 20s. Are you still 100% happy with yours? Any issues I should be aware of? Doesn't look quite as glove friendly as the SMH5 or 10?? TIA

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Any issues I should be aware of? Doesn't look quite as glove friendly as the SMH5 or 10?? TIA
Actually I find the 20 to be easier to roll up/down then the 10. The wheel isn't as slick. 2 years on my 20. Still going strong, no real issues. Replacing the battery on my 10 since it's down to a 3 hour life span.

Does the Mrs. do long rides with you? Maybe just swap units with her and re-pair the respective phones.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Actually I find the 20 to be easier to roll up/down then the 10. The wheel isn't as slick. 2 years on my 20. Still going strong, no real issues. Replacing the battery on my 10 since it's down to a 3 hour life span.

Does the Mrs. do long rides with you? Maybe just swap units with her and re-pair the respective phones.

Now stop being so practical...I'm trying to justify a new purchase here. LOL Actually something else had me a little nervous about my unit. Maybe its nothing and normal, but when I plugged in my VERY wet helmet back in the hotel room, I heard crackling. I quickly unplugged, and let things dry out a little. I fully charged it later with no issues.

So, after reading about this 20S, I think I like that audio multitasking feature. Glad to hear you like yours.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
So, after reading about this 20S, I think I like that audio multitasking feature. Glad to hear you like yours.
Ahh.. you are getting more advanced then I am. Just have the phone paired to the headsets. No separate blue-tooth directions coming from the GPS so I don't use the audio multitasking.

I think you just justified it.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Ahh.. you are getting more advanced then I am. Just have the phone paired to the headsets. No separate blue-tooth directions coming from the GPS so I don't use the audio multitasking.

I think you just justified it.

Not a big issue when riding alone. I find myself unpairing my sena and gps when riding with my wife. The constant gps interruptions are really annoying. There is quite a delay before the intercom comes back on after the GPS tells me to turn right. I'm thinking this multitasking feature might help in this regard. Would like to hear from someone who uses that.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not a big issue when riding alone. I find myself unpairing my sena and gps when riding with my wife. The constant gps interruptions are really annoying. There is quite a delay before the intercom comes back on after the GPS tells me to turn right. I'm thinking this multitasking feature might help in this regard. Would like to hear from someone who uses that.
The GPS instructions still override everything so that is still there. The multitask feature is more for listening to music and having it's volume decrease if you get intercom conversations... which is nice but the GPS will still talk on top of all that. I'm using a 20S and zumo690.

Top Bottom