sena 20s

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Give up the waterproof? As far as I know the Sena 20s is waterproof/resistant
We replaced our Chatter Box system with Sena 20s this year, they do work well but are not waterproof, on our second tour day we rode through an hour or so of heavy rain, both units crapped out and spent the night on the hotel air conditioner drying out, fortunately they both came back to life but I'm concerned one day they will fail completely. Its best to remove the units from helmets in heavy rain or look stupid like us covering the unit with you hand whilst riding, I'm not into sopping that frequently !

One of our head sets was DOA, I bought of Amazon.ca and Sena were excellent on replacing the unit on my word alone.

Beside the rain issue the units do work very well, conversations are possible at highway speeds and I really like how the units automatically fade in and out from conversation, GPS and music. I haven't used the FM radio, preferring to stream music from my GPS, we've also configured our units for music sharing which doesn't always seem to work, I need to take another look at that.

The units have lots of features and require a fare amount of homework understanding all the options.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
We replaced our Chatter Box system with Sena 20s this year, they do work well but are not waterproof, on our second tour day we rode through an hour or so of heavy rain, both units crapped out and spent the night on the hotel air conditioner drying out, fortunately they both came back to life but I'm concerned one day they will fail completely. Its best to remove the units from helmets in heavy rain or look stupid like us covering the unit with you hand whilst riding, I'm not into sopping that frequently !

One of our head sets was DOA, I bought of Amazon.ca and Sena were excellent on replacing the unit on my word alone.

Beside the rain issue the units do work very well, conversations are possible at highway speeds and I really like how the units automatically fade in and out from conversation, GPS and music. I haven't used the FM radio, preferring to stream music from my GPS, we've also configured our units for music sharing which doesn't always seem to work, I need to take another look at that.

The units have lots of features and require a fare amount of homework understanding all the options.
i guess i am lucky , i have been using mine in the rain with no issues yet i left Ouray CO after rock stoc. and ran into a nasty rain/hail/snow storm around Durango CO with no issues with my sena 20s

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I've had the 20's now for a couple months. It has made the rides with my wife much more enjoyable as we don't have to do the frustrating hand signals anymore. I also used it at WeSToc to communicate on group rides and around my home area I have a couple friends that use them. I've not had any issues with them pairing with any other Sena units. I've ridden in some light rain and had no issues with it failing. If riding in heavy rain I'd probably pull it off.
I don't use the FM feature as I generally run my own music through bluetooth. I also have my GPS (WAZE) run through bluetooth and the voice commands have priority over the music.
When purchasing I was hesitant due to the high price. So far they have been worth every penny.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
...on our second tour day we rode through an hour or so of heavy rain, both units crapped out and spent the night on the hotel air conditioner drying out, ...
Dave and I rode through a pretty good storm/heavy rain, riding down Utah Hwy 12, after leaving WeSTOC. We had no issues with the units from the rain.

Yes, you have to spend a lot of time on them to get them working and remember how things work! I need to make a cheat sheet and put it in my tankbag map holder!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Bones,
Noticed this past weekend during a 31hr rally that my aging Sena SMH5 is not holding a charge nearly as long as it used to. Mine died about 5 hrs sooner than my wife's. Time to replace and of course I do a search on ST-O. I'm looking at the 20s. Are you still 100% happy with yours? Any issues I should be aware of? Doesn't look quite as glove friendly as the SMH5 or 10?? TIA
Ken, I do like my 20S. I find battery life is longer when connected to ear buds than when using the helmet speakers. I expect that's because ear buds have tiny speakers that don't consume as much power as helmet speakers.

For a new generation BMW GT or RT, you can simply pair the 20S to the bike (which gives you all the bike's audio, including USB music, FM, AM, weather band, GPS prompts, etc.) and then pair the 20S to the phone. That setup does not let you use the GPS telephone features, like seeing who's calling, but it does let you use the Google App for voice dialing, which I find preferable. This setup also layers GPS prompts over music, so when your GPS gives you directions the music volume is reduced (not abruptly cut off) which makes it nicer to listen to.

There are a ridiculous number of ways you can configure a 20S to connect with phone, GPS, etc. Go to the Sena website and download the 20S manual and look through all the options. See if one looks like it will work for you.

FYI, there is a new Sena 30K just out. I don't have personal experience with it, but it appears to have handlebar remote control as an option.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
The GPS instructions still override everything so that is still there. The multitask feature is more for listening to music and having it's volume decrease if you get intercom conversations... which is nice but the GPS will still talk on top of all that. I'm using a 20S and zumo690.
So if my wife is talking to me over the intercom and I get GPS instructions, will it just lower her voice and the GPS will speak over her? As it is now with my SMH5, she gets cut off totally and its a really long time before the intercom clicks on again. That's the part that is really annoying.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Ken, I do like my 20S. I find battery life is longer when connected to ear buds than when using the helmet speakers. I expect that's because ear buds have tiny speakers that don't consume as much power as helmet speakers.

For a new generation BMW GT or RT, you can simply pair the 20S to the bike (which gives you all the bike's audio, including USB music, FM, AM, weather band, GPS prompts, etc.) and then pair the 20S to the phone. That setup does not let you use the GPS telephone features, like seeing who's calling, but it does let you use the Google App for voice dialing, which I find preferable. This setup also layers GPS prompts over music, so when your GPS gives you directions the music volume is reduced (not abruptly cut off) which makes it nicer to listen to.

There are a ridiculous number of ways you can configure a 20S to connect with phone, GPS, etc. Go to the Sena website and download the 20S manual and look through all the options. See if one looks like it will work for you.

FYI, there is a new Sena 30K just out. I don't have personal experience with it, but it appears to have handlebar remote control as an option.

Thanks!! Looks like the 20S is the way to go. I don't need the latest and greatest (30K), as it is I'll be jumping several generations, LOL

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Does anyone have one of the remotes for the 20s, either the handlebar remote or the wrist remote?

I bought a wrist remote, connected it up to one of my units and when trying to use it, it was causing the sound to go up no matter which way I pushed it. I put it back and haven't tried it since, but I'm thinking i should try it again. I'm also wondering if it can be synced to more than one unit, but not necessarily at the same time.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
To tag onto this post, any suggestions on where to purchase the 20 for a good price etc in Canada? Amazon seems reasonable so far.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought my first unit from RKA at WeSTOC. He gave my brother and I an okay price ($255 each) for two units (wasn't the Duo set).
But I managed to pick up my second unit (NEW) off ebay for $220.

So if you don't mind going ebay, you just have to watch for a good price to come up!

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
ATV Tire rack message was returned with a note that due to Medical reasons the store is closed until November 1st so all calls etc will not be answered. Must be a small operation so I will call after then and see what they say about the sena 20.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
You might try Black Hills Moto which is affiliated with Realtime industries and just see what deal they might make. Know they sell quite a few and tell him you are from the forum. Worth a shot.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Give these guys a shout- ATV Tire Rack in Kingston Ontario. Just a few weeks ago they were advertising new Sena 20S single packs for $231.00 CA and with free shipping anywhere in Canada. Let us know what price they give you.
Sure not the price you found...

321-0708
Sena 20S Motorcycle Bluetooth Communication System SINGLE
$329 TAX INCLUDE
SHIPPING $19
TOTAL $348
Please call by phone for ordering and further inquires

We want your business, let us know if you find a better price.
Find a better price.
WE WILL BEAT IT !!!
[h=2]Need anything for your ATV ...just ask
ATV ..... Parts...... Accessories ....Tires ....Rims you name it !!![/h][h=2]WE ARE NOT JUST TIRES![/h]
Michael Salsbury

ATV TIRE RACK
-Lowest atv tire prices in Canada. -WE WON'T BE BEAT!

4231 Bath Road
Kingston, Ontario
K7M 4Y8
613-389-3331
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AtvTireRack
www.atvtirerack.com

Top Bottom