GPS mounting on a ST1100.

Bike
ST1100 1990
Hello.
New owner of a ST1100 (1990) and wery pleased with the bike.
I have two minor questions:
1. Can anybody provide a picture of a good mounting of a GPS, I need some inspiration.
2. The air inlet under the windscreen is partly blocked with plastic and a minor part is open. Understand that this will limit the airflow but need some comments.
Hooping for some advice :).
Peter Thornstr?m Sweden.

OP
OP
PethHonda
Bike
ST1100 1990
Hello.
Thank you for the inspiration.
The air inlet a talked about is on the Garnish just below the windscreen. I understand that it is useful in the Carlifonia or desert heat but what will happend if you like me drive around in cold climate and rain ?.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...what will happend if you like me drive around in cold climate and rain ?.
Nothing...
The duct provides support airflow behind the windscreen (thus equalizing pressure differences), otherwise the resistance drag would simply rip it off/out its well-nut mounts...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Peter:

These are very old photos (as you can tell from the StreetPilot III GPS), but they show how I installed a RAM-Mount ball and short extension arm on my ST1100 to put my GPS on the handlebars, but still enable me to see the speedometer and tachometer.

Almost 15 years later, I'm still using this exact same setup, although I have changed GPS units many times since then (I currently use a Zumo 660, and it and the 660 mounting bracket fit perfectly onto the original RAM-Mount bracket I installed in 2002). I've since ridden about 200,000 km with this configuration, and if I had to do it all over again, I would not change a thing.

I'm not in favour of mounting the GPS up high under the windshield - I think it will interfere with airflow under the windshield, and it is very awkward to get your hand up there to operate the GPS when you are riding. With the GPS between the handlebars, it is very easy to move your hand from the handlebar over to the GPS to make inputs, adjust zoom, etc. Consider also that current GPS units provide spoken guidance (audio guidance), which means it's not really necessary to keep your eyes on the thing all the time. With auto-zoom enabled, I can see where my next turn is long before I get to it, and when I get close to the next turn, I get the spoken guidance in my helmet to wake me up and tell me it is time to turn.

Here are the photos. Basically, I just removed the plastic cover over the handlebars, cut a small hole in the top of it to let the RAM-Mount ball poke through, then put the cover back on.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I mounted my Garmin 2720 similar to Flapajack. That location keeps it out of the weather a bit. My SiriusXM radio and preamp are mounted to the left of the 2720, which is centered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PethHonda
Bike
ST1100 1990
Hello again.
Thank you for the inspiration. I will try out the best alternative for me and report back.
Have a nice Eastern.
Peter Thornstr?m / Sweden.

Bike
2001 ST-1100
STOC #
Peter:
I used a ram ball mount cover which I purchased from "Motorcycle Larry".
Works great and is easily accessible.1garmin ball mt.jpg2garmin.jpg3garmin-st1100-2001.jpg

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I bought a bar mount and have it in the middle of my heli-bars - I'm using a regular car gps for cost savings. I think the bracket was $15 for the plain ball, then I bought the garmin mount which stays on the ball. You can also buy power supplies designed to be wired in, or go with a cigarette type lighter, or USB-based power source.

OP
OP
PethHonda
Bike
ST1100 1990
Thank you for your support.
I have mounted my Garmin Zumo with the mc mounting kit from Garmin. It is ok but I will probably go for to the method presented by CYYJ when I can find a used steering cover.
Peter T Sweden.
P1020732.jpg P1020733.jpg

This is not a great pic, but it shows the location of mine. It is a simple Garmin lm 50. I have the dash shelf so I went very simple. I bent a thin peice of stainless steel plate in a L shape, the short part of the L has 1 hole in it to bolt it down. I cut a small section out of the back of the plate to allow the wire and speaker to be free and accessible.
To attach the gps I use velcro, it has held up great! I can remove it to use it in the truck or to take it off to lock it up. In driving Rain on the slab it has stayed dry. I will look to see if I have a better picture. Btw, I painted the plate black to match shelf, used black velcro also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I think the big advantages of a dash mount is that it increases the distance between me and the GPS making it quicker for my ageing eyes to focus on it, the other thing is it places it closer to the line of sight during riding so it makes it less distracting when checking the map.

Gerhard

Top Bottom