What is the length of a stock rear shock for my 1999 ST1100?

jerryvolkers

Site Supporter
Bike
1999 ST1100Y
What is the length of a stock rear shock for my 1999 non-ABS ST1100?
I have changed tires many times since buying this bike in 2009 and have NEVER been able to remove the rear axle without dropping the swing arm (by removing a shock bolt) in spite of what the owners manual/Clymer manual/many comments in the ST1100 Exhaust forum say.
Yes I am running Honda factory muffler and exhaust system.
No I didn't take a photo of my shock.
Last night I measured my stock-appearing rear shock as 13.25" center to center bolt hole to bolt hole, but have been unsuccessful at researching what the length should be. Found lots of reference to "1 inch shorter than stock" or "standard length" but no actual length given.

Thanks
Jerry

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...I measured my stock-appearing rear shock as 13.25" center to center bolt hole to bolt hole...
Exactly what I measure on the OEM shock in my stash here...

I however don't drop the swing-arm for removing the rear wheel, I simply rotate (not pull!) the LHS silencer down/out of the way, to gain the clearance for axle and calliper plate stop-bolt.

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
I've never had to remove shock or swing arm or exhaust to change tire. Do you have OEM muffler or aftermarket? OEM have cut outs to clear the axle bolt, aftermarket do not.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The issue is removing the stop bolt for cleansing, lubrication and gaining access/clearance to set the torque wrench on...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The issue is removing the stop bolt for cleansing, lubrication and gaining access/clearance to set the torque wrench on...
haven't done that at all in 19 years, no problems so far.

BTW, I measured my old stock shock and it was closer to 13.5" eye-to-eye, but its a bit of guesswork as you can't put the tape right on the eyes.

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Yeah, about that...I may be a little slack in this department. I can get the stop bolt out of the caliper enough to clean it up some, add a little never seize and tighten it back up with a long box end wrench but I can't get a torque wrench on it without moving muffler.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've seen the aftermath on a couple of STs in the w/shop due to corroded stop-bolts and the thereby misaligned/bend carrier plate... so I'm cautious on that item...

OP
OP
jerryvolkers

jerryvolkers

Site Supporter
Bike
1999 ST1100Y
Thanks for all the replies, so it appears my shock is the stock length, but the axle will not clear the cutouts on the stock muffler.
I was able to get the caliper stop bolt out enough to dab some never--seize on it. One benefit of dropping the swing arm down to change the rear tire is that I get to service those shock bolts at the same time!

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
I've seen the aftermath on a couple of STs in the w/shop due to corroded stop-bolts and the thereby misaligned/bend carrier plate... so I'm cautious on that item...
Probably more of an issue in northern climes where road salt comes into play, not an issue here in Florida.

Top Bottom