Sports screen vs no screen?

Bike
ST1300 2004
STOC #
what?
I have a Cal Scientific tinted shorty. I'm 6 feet tall, run a Corbin seat in the highest slot, wear a dual sport helmet, Honda wind deflectors (which look disappointingly faded to grey in this photo), and no bar risers.

If I were to draw up my dream screen (see crude red lines on photo below) I would trim a little strip off each side (the lower corners) and I'd narrow the cutout in the bottom middle (to better hide the mechanism). These changes are strictly for looks and I'm presuming these changes won't ruin the functionality. I also junked the bulky plastic beauty covers and painted the exposed hardware with black nail polish.

I usually run the screen all the way down except when I'm going to be on the highway for a while, and then I run it all the way to the top. One of my frequent pillions has recently learned to point at the button when she wants me to raise it when she's cold.
tinted shorty edit.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
So I just installed a CalSci this weekend, the tinted shorty. I've only taken the bike out once with it on, but it was also super windy out. I love the look of this windshield on the black ST. I never used windshields on my two Shadows before this bike, so I don't feel a difference between this new windshield and the stock one. I can give a better review after a few more rides on the bike, we shall see.

For those having issues with the CalSci shorty, the first night I had the windshield, I struggled with it for over an hour before re-reading the instructions on California Scientific's site.check out what I did that follows:

• Friday night, I bolted on the top two bolts and re-attached the plastic covers (with the stock screws)
    • I left it like this over night and through the entire next day. (Saturday)
  • Sunday morning, removed the plastic covers and the bottom two bolts fit on there perfectly.
    • note that they were a bit tight, but didn't have to fight them to get them in and tight.
  • Re-placed the plastic covers and was good to go.

Sunday, I went for a ride, washed the bike at a high pressure self-wash station, and there were no issues.

(This is pre-wash)

(Post-wash at home)​

I'm led to this thread because I'm seriously considering cutting down one of two screens I own to solve my ST1100 buffeting problem.

My stock screen that came with my 97 ST1100 was unusable. The buffeting was bad. My beginner bike is a Kawasaki (photo attached) EX500. It has no screen to speak of and on back-to-back rides my EX500 is far more comfortable than my ST1100. I could read a newspaper riding my EX500.

My ST1100 buffets my head so bad I get eye strain from my glasses moving so much.

After reading all of the posts and doing research, I bought a Clearview +4 and I must say that the Clearview reduces the buffeting, but it does not eliminate it. My Clearview is set to the proper height and about 60MPH, and after a few months of riding it, my Clearview is not acceptable.

Using a lip or bolt on air deflector is also not acceptable because they are visual distractions. The less stuff that can get into my line of sight, the better.

My plan is to cut one of the two down (in increments) until this nasty problem is eliminated.

For any newbie ST1100 owners or those buying, I strongly urge you to ride the specific bike you plan to buy at highway speeds with the intent to evaluate the buffeting behavior of that specific bike/windshield.

Buffeting (in my experience) is the biggest drawback of the ST1100, and many other bikes I might add. The sheer number of posts and windshield replacement purchases documented here should be telling on that point.

When I complete my windshield mods, I will post here.

20170729_120117[1].jpg

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The design of the ST1100 screen is quite good - providing that you are of the right height to gain the benefit !

I wasn't the right height and at 6'4" sat well within the channelled air flow of the OEM screen. and I tried a number of modifications fashioned out of thick card and ductape before buying a replacement. The one I bought was a reproduction of the ST1100 screen, but a good bit taller. It had the nostrils and the flip up lip, and the top of it sat a little below my line of sight so that I was always looking over the top of the screen. They are still available in the UK from the powerbronze.co.uk site.

I reckoned that this was as good as it got. The flow of air went over the top of my helmet, and my vision was not obscured by any part of the screen. I could ride with the visor up if I wanted (I often do). I never got the suction effect that I have heard many talk about. Sure, the air eddied behind the screen and behind me, but it was nothing like significant enough to present any problems when riding. In fact I never noticed it. (The flying insects would give a different story as they would initially avoid the screen, get caught in the eddy and splatter themselves on the inside of the screen !) The nostrils in the ST1100 screen are responsible for reducing the back pressure, allowing the air to escape - and my replacement screen had these duplicated in the same position as the originals.

I use a similar flip-up design on my ST1300. The original 1300 screen, though forming a nice airflow, doesn't allow me to ride looking over the top of the screen without it hitting my face full on. My Bike-Quip replacement has the flip-up lip and this works well. No need for the nostrils as the ST1300 screen is not attached at the bottom.

With the screen adjustment on the 1300, I can fine tune it on the move - and there are certain positions where the buffeting is quite strong - which suggests that the height of this design of screen in relation to the rider might be the issue, rather than the design of the screen itself.

I don't shop. Not for anything in any serious frequency. I especially don't shop for motorcycles. I already have two.

But before I bought my ST1100, I went to a BMW dealership. For a used bike. Same class as the ST1100 I wound up buying. One off the BMWs I was looking at had something I never saw before. Buttons that moved the windshield up and down.

"What a useless bell and whistle that is," I thought. Something else to break and require repair.

If a person who likes to build things ever wanted to start a business -- and was having difficulty finding ideas, all they have to do is visit fora like this one. Find a popular thing, such as an ST1100, and read what users of it wish they could get their hands on.

Like a drop in replacement ST1100 windshield that the rider can adjust with the same ease they could adjust a mirror.

To stop the buffeting. No guesswork. An effective adjustable screen that most any rider can find an effective adjustment position to get clean air.

Business opportunities like this pass us by like taxicabs in new York City......

A lot of time has gone by since I last posted, but I have followed up. In the past year, here is what I have learned:

Riding my ST1100 with no windshield at all offers a near buffet-free experience. The wind load is greater, but it is a constant wind load. I wear glasses. With no windshield at all, my glasses aren't bouncing around blurring my vision.

I am 5-9" and I ride with a Shoei GT-Air helment.

On a scale of 1-10 where buffeting is concerned (10 = unbearable, 1 = perfect) and between 60-85MPH:

Stock Cat Eye windshield -- 10. It gives me blurred vision.
Clearview Large 23"H +4" with vent -- 6. It very noticeably reduced buffeting but is still not comfortable.
No windshield -- 2. After multiple trials, I must agree with other posters who noted this.

I finally got around to purchasing a used Rifle windscreen. I do not have a model number (it was a Craigslist buy). That Rifle, which was not as wide as my Clearview performed at a 4-5 level. It was better than the Clearview -- but not sufficiently comfortable for me.

Last week, I cut down the Rifle windscreen. Photographs are attached.

Unmodified Rifle -- 4-5
Cut-down Rifle -- 3

Laminar Lip -- (yes, I bought one of those also) No benefit, and worse, it created a serious vision distraction.

A few other comments: The Clearview screen is extremely well made. It works for some riders. I may simply have the wrong height.

Riding with less windscreen is actually ore fun. I wear full gear and in California weather, having more wind is cooling and refreshing. I do not feel fatigue because the bike has so much structure forward of the rider that it cocoons the rider somewhat from all of the free stream. I may have a different opinion in the fall.

Visibility is much better. I was getting used to looking through and over the tall windscreens, and with the screen cut down there is less distraction and a better view.

My next experiment may be to cut down my Clearview. Not sure. Right now, it's taking up space in my garage....

I hope this helps!

Attachments

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I have a question about the Laminar Lip and noise. I have a Sena 10 bluetooth headset that works well but, at highway speed, I get so much wind noise, I cannot hear Pandora on the Sena. Will a Laminar Lip reduce the noise around my helmet at highway speed? Is there a better way to reduce the noise? I have Torx and a HJC full face helmets.

Bike
2011 Suzuki 1250FA
I absolutely love my tinted shorty... everything else (except no screen at all) is just so ugly in my opinion.

The shorty goes up high enough for me on the freeway to protect, and I drop it all the way to the lowest for everything else.

The shorty is cut fairly high on the lower edge and a therefore a lot of air comes through to relieve back pressure. Yes there is still a little buffeting but as the original poster stated the only way to eliminate all buffeting is to remove the screen entirely.

My tinted shorty is from Cal-Sci and it was definitely not a direct bolt on and it seemed a bit expensive. I spent two hours rat-tail filing the holes a half-mm at a time to finally get it to fit.

st selfie engineer.jpg

What kind of windshield /screen is that? I like it, Looks really sharp.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I used to run a stock screen cut down 5 1/" in the summer. Loved it.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My V45 & V65 Sabres both had the Hondaline Fairings on them and the windscreens were just tall enough to help push the wind above your shouders.
bobs2sabres.jpg

After getting the ST1300, being able to change the height of the windshield with a button, has been perfect.

Because of my height, the lower setting and having the shield down is great in windy areas, whereas having it up to help push the wind over my head when just cruising is fantastic!

I used to run a stock screen cut down 5 1/" in the summer. Loved it.
Now that is a good look - ever since i bought mine I've been looking for a shorty tinted - I think I'll just try to find a used stock one, cut it, and tint it to my liking ... or just paint to match the bike! I always have my screens low - the wind in da face is part of the whole gig ;)

Thanks for the measurement - that looks perfect :)

Rob

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Like many I hated the back pressure on my '03 ,even with the stock screen all the way down. I cut my stock screen down five inches and loved it for the next 85,000 miles. That and my Rick Meyer custom leather seat were my best fixes.

Ed

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Oh and WOQNX you may think that great photo of (something) Dugway highway going into Mexican Hat is a tricky ride but I did it in my 33' gas class A motor home towing a bike trailer . No engine brakes on 8.2 liter V8 and first gear would not hold it back. Had to stop three times to let brakes cool. A real pucker up ride!

Ed

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Now that is a good look - ever since i bought mine I've been looking for a shorty tinted - I think I'll just try to find a used stock one, cut it, and tint it to my liking ... or just paint to match the bike! I always have my screens low - the wind in da face is part of the whole gig ;)

Thanks for the measurement - that looks perfect :)

Rob

Thanks looks like the partial measurement didn't come out, it was 5 1/2"

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Your cut down shield looks just like mine, except I like your flatter top radius a little better then the way I cut mine.

Ed

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I figgered ;)

And agree on the radius - did you use anything? or just freehand with a good eye?

If I remember correctly I covered a few inches down with green frog tape on the front of the shield, then measured my 5 1/2" down and made a mark. Then used a thin metal rule on edge bent/flexed to make my radius and had my wife trace it, then free handed the corners off a little rounder. Cut with a jig saw with a fine tooth blade and sanded to smooth it out. At least that's how I remember it going. It's been 11 years lol.

I am about to do another one for my new FJR, and that's my plan for this one too.

Top Bottom