Valve cover question

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I have a NTM '07 1300 and no record of valve adjustments. 41k on the odometer. Planning on taking it in next week to the dealer (I am far from mechanically inclined). This is the dealership that also services the city's fleet of ST1300P's. When calling to make the appointment the service mgr said that it is always a good idea to replace the valve covers at the same time.

Thoughts from the forum experts on replacing the covers?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
NOPE, they don't need to be replaced... MAYBE the valve cover gaskets but they are rubber and most of the time reusable, probably some here that have never changed those.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Replace the valve covers? Maybe if you lost the old ones or squashed one flat while they were off the bike. Replacing the valve covers when you do a valve adjustment makes as much sense to me as replacing the oil pan when you change the oil. I think you must have misunderstood the guy and he was talking about another part. If he is serious and cannot give you a good reason for doing so, I'd replace the mechanic.

OP
OP
JRob
Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Thanks everyone. For sure I didn't misunderstand as I know enough that it seemed odd and I asked for clarification. Once he confirmed I thought it'd be good to ask you all.

I'll call another shop... Thankfully there is another one in town.

Thanks for the input. As always this group is extraordinary!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
just when I thought my opinion of m/c dealerships couldn't get any lower.... :cus:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Jeff, I'm back next week. Buy new gaskets and come out for a day and we can inspect to see if you need adj. Inspect is easy.

ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Jeff, I'm back next week. Buy new gaskets and come out for a day and we can inspect to see if you need adj. Inspect is easy.

ToddC

Ooppssss. Double post

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Agreed. If they were fibre I would always replace them but rubber - only if they are damaged. While there is oil flying around inside the covers, there is no oil PRESSURE in there and so snugging them down will usually keep these types of gaskets from leaking as long as they are not torn or otherwise damaged. Beside, if they do leak - it isn't a big task to replace them later and the amount of oil you might loose won't be very large.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, as others have said the valve cover gaskets do not normally need to be replaced at your mileage. They are glued into the cover itself and the side facing down against the cylinder head are kept free of sealant except for the half circle shapes at the front. The cylinder head - valve cover should come free easily or perhaps with a tap or two with a rubber mallet and the gasket will stay on the cover. Be careful and don't pull it out of the cover if part of the gasket sticks to the engine block.

One thing to mention is that under the three bolts that secure the valve cover are circular "mounting rubbers" - a sort of sealing gasket for the bolts. They sometimes stay in the cover and sometimes they fall out. The upper side is marked "UP". If these are installed upside down or very old and brittle it is pretty easy to strip or break off one of the valve cover bolts when installing them. They torque to a low value of 7 lbs and don't have a progressive feel when tightened.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
You definitely don't want to replace the cylinder head covers (Honda-speak for what we call "valve covers"). A set of these from Bike Bandit would cost you nearly $400.

As several others have suggested, you also don't want to replace the rubber head cover gaskets unless they are damaged during the R&R procedure. The nearly $60 for a pair of these would not be money well spent.

Also, be sure to pay heed to what Dave posted about the head cover hold down bolts. These bolts are designed with a flange right above the threaded portion of the bolt that limit the amount the gasket is compressed when the flange makes contact with the cylinder head, and more than a few owners have twisted them off by attempting to over-torque them. Honda goofed on the design of the covers in that you have to "fish around" to find the threaded holes the bolts thread into, which I've found to be somewhat nerve racking.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll call another shop... Thankfully there is another one in town.
I'd probably call the first shop back and tell them why I'll be shopping elsewhere. Then I'd mention this experience to the new shop as a just-so-you-know warning.

Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
Replace the valve covers??? And he confirmed he wasn't referring to the gaskets??? OMG. Find another mech as soon as you can.

OP
OP
JRob
Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Thanks guys for confirming what I was thinking! Always appreciate the guidance here. Forum member ToddC and I will be doing the checks. He's got some very good experience with his fleet of 1300's.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
And if he is really doing this to the local police fleet I would report him to the city comptroller. Your tax dollars going to waste. Nowhere in the Honda maintenance /service manual does it even remotely suggest such a practice.

Top Bottom