BBG Indy Key West Bradenton

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
I'm contemplating another BBG ride at the end of May - was selected to work an NCAA track championship at the IMG Academy in Bradenton FL so thought I'd play around with some route options.

I did my first BBG a few years ago - also riding to one of my officiating assignments. Ride report here:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?128265-Bun-Burner-Gold-attempt&p=1623852&viewfull=1#post1623852

Have never been down to Key West and figured since I'm so "close" it might be worth scouting out. Ya never know when you might end up in a rally and decide the sucker bonus feels right this time, right? :) Thought I'd get the input of those familiar with the area down there in South Florida.

I'd look to leave Indy in order to arrive in Bradenton sometime Wednesday morning 5/25. Indy Key West Bradenton mileage appears to be ~1750 so I don't need to get all the way back up to Bradenton in 24 hours but do need to get there in time to rest before meetings later on Wednesday. Factoring in fuel stops Key West appears to be `21 hours from Indy so in order to actually get to see it during daylight I'd need to depart around 10pm Monday...assuming no delays along the way. Sunset on Key West on Tuesday is 8:00 pm...snap my photo at the marker and then start plodding back up the west coast of FL Tuesday night. Could call it quits and crash on a soft picnic bench in Naples if I wanted and then ride a couple hours more Wednesday morning...

This of course is the week leading into Memorial Day weekend so not sure what traffic getting out to the Key would be like between 6-8pm on a Tuesday?

This route of course also gives me the option to bail on my way down should things not be going well. Indy to Bradenton is only 1050 miles...and the decision point would be in Orlando.

Open to any and all constructive input! :)

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
All the miles once "off" the main land (past Homestead) are 45 mph zones and plenty of traffic and plenty of police. Also the turnpikes in south FL are hit and miss on stoppage. All you can do is try. I did a 933 mile day starting in North FL to Key West and back to North FL once. It took me about 19 hours but I was very lucky and had NO stopped traffic though the big cities. I did the turnpikes as much as possible.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I did a NY-KW BBG a couple years ago. I arrived in KW at 4am and had to kill a few hrs waiting for the sun to rise so I could actually see the place. The beautiful thing was zero traffic.

OP
OP
smunderdog
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
I did a NY-KW BBG a couple years ago. I arrived in KW at 4am and had to kill a few hrs waiting for the sun to rise so I could actually see the place. The beautiful thing was zero traffic.
Yeah - that would be my preferred scenario....hit the 45 mph zones overnight and see it in the morning...but then I'd be pressed to get up to Bradenton and still have time for a nap before my meetings the same day. Still need to play around with that possibility though.

OP
OP
smunderdog
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Hmmmm....the more I crunch the numbers - because I have both the outbound and back to mainland portions of the Key West leg included in my 1500 miles (at 45mph) it looks like I absolutely need to be doing at least 1/2 that mileage overnight/early morning like you did kendoo. I don't mind missing the BBG but definitely want to see that stretch in daylight so if I can get out there before sunrise I can snap my photo at the marker and then head back up towards Miami/Miramar which will get me the mileage. Where is the best place to get a receipt near the marker and what is traffic like at 7 am headed towards the mainland?

Or I suppose I can make Key West the finish like kendoo did and then I'm off the clock on the return trip. Just adds more overall mileage to the trip...

Either way it looks like a Monday departure from Indy is going to be necessary...

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Hmmmm....the more I crunch the numbers - because I have both the outbound and back to mainland portions of the Key West leg included in my 1500 miles (at 45mph) it looks like I absolutely need to be doing at least 1/2 that mileage overnight/early morning like you did kendoo. I don't mind missing the BBG but definitely want to see that stretch in daylight so if I can get out there before sunrise I can snap my photo at the marker and then head back up towards Miami/Miramar which will get me the mileage. Where is the best place to get a receipt near the marker and what is traffic like at 7 am headed towards the mainland?

Or I suppose I can make Key West the finish like kendoo did and then I'm off the clock on the return trip. Just adds more overall mileage to the trip...

Either way it looks like a Monday departure from Indy is going to be necessary...
I did not document this ride for submission, so I just took a pic at the buoy. I had breakfast at IHOP at 4am, so you could always get a receipt there. Had to kill a few hrs because the sun didn't rise until after 7am in March.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459794851.743484.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
smunderdog
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
The benefit of getting there before dark appears that there isn't any problem riding over beyond the curb to park the bike next to the marker. :)

Top Bottom