Preload Adjuster seized?

I just this week purchased my first ST1300. It's a 2004 model with 95k miles, and upon attempting to adjust the rear preload with the bike up on the centerstand I cannot get the adjustment knob to move either clockwise or counterclockwise. So is it common for it to be really hard to turn? If so I can put a tool on it and apply more force, but I don't want to break the mechanism. Any ideas before I attempt dis-assembly and try to figure out what the issue is.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ren

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Can you see any of the incremental scale sticker?? If not it is probably tightened all the way in.....

ToddC

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just serviced my '04's preload adjuster. It only involved adding fluid,,, as you could turn it in or out all I wanted but no effect. I was able to add fluid by refilling the adjuster twice. There are some good threads,,, and I took the easy approach by simply removing the adjuster. It does not offer any preload until the just after the 2nd click, but gives leaves than adequate capacity for how much I have loaded the bike so far. Mechanically, I don't think the adjusting screw is pushing the internal piston until after the 2nd click,, so I don't think it is a matter of more purging required. It will be interesting to see if I need more fluid, as time goes by. Cat'

ps: there are some excellent prior posts on this service issue,, several with pictures,,, so be sure to read them.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just serviced my '04's preload adjuster........... It will be interesting to see if I need more fluid, as time goes by. Cat'
If you take the preload off when you park the bike you will never have to service it again, ever.

OP
OP
SFC_Ren
Do a search as someone else had this issue. I believe there may even be photos as well.
Thanks all! As soon as I searched for it I found a few threads pointing me in the right direction. I should obviously (search first, ask questions later). :)

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
None of the 5 replies that I've seen in this thread so far directly address the OP problem with a seized preload adjuster knob. What are the chances the adjuster knob could be removed as in the procedure you described if Ren is unable to rotate it either direction? I would guess if the spring and ball bearing have somehow gotten seriously corroded it could have them 'frozen' into one of the detents. Would it be possible to apply something like PB Blaster from a spray can where it could do any good to help with unsticking the seized adjustment knob?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I would remove the adjuster from the bike. Leave the mounting bracket on the adjuster and unscrew the bracket from the frame, then remove the hose. With the adjuster off, you might be able to soak the entire knob assembly in some sort of penetrating oil. I don't believe the detention ball and spring are strong enough to keep it from turning. The plastic knob would flex enough to prevent it from binding. When you get it to turn, don't lose the small ball and spring that are located under the knob. The ball usually rolls under the workbench. :)

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Start with simple, then move toward complicated. It is probably simple.
1. Take the screw and washer off the knob. CAREFULLY pull the knob straight back, and keep in mind that on the top is a ball bearing with a spring under it. It will fly off into the wild blue yonder unless you catch it with your thumb and place a rag under there just in case. There is probably 12 years worth of gunk, sand, whatever that has accumulated under there. Clean it off, spray silicone inside the knob, and re assemble. There are detents on the knob where the ball bearing makes the click when adjusting.
2. If the knob turns in more than 4-5 from all the way out (counter
clockwise)clicks before feeling resistance, you need to add fluid to the adjuster. I use fork oil. There are several threads about this on this forum.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I've taken mine apart twice now to refill it...I understand the advice to remove all the preload when parking the bike, but that seems like a poor design to have to do that. So why does it leak in the first place? I've just used either regular oil, may try chain bar oil or fork/transmission fluid instead next time; maybe something thicker will hold up better. Pretty springy after the winter break, maybe it's time to do it again.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've taken mine apart twice now to refill it...I understand the advice to remove all the preload when parking the bike, but that seems like a poor design to have to do that. So why does it leak in the first place? I've just used either regular oil, may try chain bar oil or fork/transmission fluid instead next time; maybe something thicker will hold up better. Pretty springy after the winter break, maybe it's time to do it again.
I don't know where the fluid goes. It never actually leaked on mine. It's like the oil compresses or reduces in volume and it takes more and more clicks to take up the empty volume. I believe that is an impossibility with oil but no one ever finds the leaked-out oil to clean up. I ride the ST about 10 or 15,000 miles a year but basically it's only on weekends so it's not an issue for me to unwind the preload while the bike is parked. If I'm off riding a few days or week ride at a time I don't unload it. I haven't had to refill it in 5 or 6 years.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I don't know where the fluid goes. It never actually leaked on mine. It's like the oil compresses or reduces in volume and it takes more and more clicks to take up the empty volume. I believe that is an impossibility with oil but no one ever finds the leaked-out oil to clean up. I ride the ST about 10 or 15,000 miles a year but basically it's only on weekends so it's not an issue for me to unwind the preload while the bike is parked. If I'm off riding a few days or week ride at a time I don't unload it. I haven't had to refill it in 5 or 6 years.
For those of us who park from Oct-Nov until May-June a very good pointer. I cannot remember if I actually did back off the preload when laying up for the annual farkling season but I will remember next year!

Top Bottom