Looking for some input on passenger seat

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hi, just wanted to ask everyone on here a couple of questions about the stock passenger seat on the ST1300.

The one on my bike seems to have almost no padding on the back half of the passenger seat, so much so that "she who must be obeyed" complains loudly after only 20 minutes or so of riding. If you push down on the front half of the passenger seat, there is resistance from the foam. Pushing down on the back half it feels like there is very little there. Are they all like this? If so then buying a replacement from Ebay would be a waste of money.

Does anyone know if the Sargent passenger seat would fit with the stock drivers seat?

thanks

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you would prefer less complaints look for a RDL. Even a used one will be better than the stock saddle!

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
The stock seat is absolutely an after-thought. My passenger rode with me 2.5hrs on the stock seat, after I first purchased my ST1300. She said she wouldn't ride on that seat again.

I purchased the Russell Day Long (front & rear). Now she enjoys the rides. We've taken many long, multiple day rides, up to 12 days, with distances of 2000 - 3000 miles each. She doesn't mind the 10hr days; although, she'd prefer we stop and sight see more. The RDL is expensive, but well worth the price. Granted, the price is a put-off. However, if you spring for the RDL, you'll be glad you did. More importantly, so will your passenger. :)RDL.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
Another option would be to send your seat to Laam Custom Seats and let Seth work his magic. Huge difference front and back for about $400.
Good luck!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use an Air Hawk seat cover, seem to work but after 8-10 hours anything is uncomfortable.
L
Not true. You should try the RDL, I've spent up to 13 hours on mine and had no uncomfortable issues at all!

But all :butt1: are different.....

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have the Russell Day Long saddle as well and it made all the difference for me.
I previously tried many alternatives; getting the seat redone, air hawk, rollers, memory foam,
but nothing worked for me. I do have a particular problem sitting, on anything except my
Russell seat. I did put in a 12 hour day once and although I was glad to get off the bike,
I didn't have the level of discomfort I usually got after a couple hours on the stock saddle.

John-

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Before getting my ST13, I did my IB ride on my old CB1000c, which totaled almost 5000kms. I had outfitted the bike for the adventure,, and among my so called support sponsors,,, was a Corbin saddle. I had done some 6 hour rides on the OEM seat before,,, and those felt like sitting on a round steel pipe after a couple of hours. Anyway,, the first part of my big ride was the SS1600, which had me in the Corbin saddle for 21.5 hours. And the final leg of the ride was an 14.5 hour day, required to satisfy the chief and get myself home without the expense of another hotel room. A firm saddle like the Corbin got the job done, and the big reward was deciding to buy my ST,, Blue STar. I have since purchased a good used Corbin drivers seat for it,, and look forward to trialing it this spring. RDL might be the best,,, I really don't know,,, but Corbin has gotten me there and back. Cheers,, Cat'

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If seat time is the gold standard my Sargent is it. I've ridden countless 12+ hour days and once over 21 hours with just gas and relief stops every 3+ hours, over 1500 miles then 850 the next day. 900 mile daily average over 9 days no problem. However everyone is different and what works for me won't for you. In terms of cents per mile the Sargent was dirt cheap as it has carried me about 150,000 miles without showing wear or UV drying. The Sargent pillion is quite different from the stock shape and foam hardness. It is scooped out to form the pillion seating position, raised in the front to stop sliding and firm to keep from squishing down against the pan.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave (DaveH) bought his Corbin for his '05 ST1300 before I bought my first RDL. 8 years later, he still has it, but is in the process of updating to a RDL.

After our Southwest Tour, I loaned him my recent RDL so he could get home (just under 500 miles away) in some comfort.

Note: My first RDL had over 200K miles on it and I had loaned it to my son Brett for the ride.

You really do have to find one that fits you well. I had a Corbin on my 84 V65 Sabre and I found I could do about 600 miles without any discomfort, but after that, yikes! I then picked up a used RDL for it and did 1,200 miles over a weekend without any issues! That's what sold my on the RDLs! :D

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I have to say also rdl, I had my wifes done with the full makeover. (spring in seat just like the riders) We could ride for hours. Myself I was taking week long trips with no problems at all.

expensive but worth it.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm in the Russel Day-Long camp. I've had mine for around 100K, and it's still really comfortable. I don't think that the Russel is much more expensive than the Sargent, and it's made specifically for your height, weight, and inseam. Corbins are too hard for my liking, The Sargent is better than stock, but I think the Russel is the best available. You only pay for it once, so think of it as an investment. Have them do the rider seat, too.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The shape of the ST's passenger portion leaves little room for padding on the back half so it's not surprising it's uncomfortable after a short time aboard.

I've made two trips of 6-7hr days with food and fuels stops every 2-3hrs and the OEM seat has been- ok but just. If Panjammer is ok with his half I can see his concern with just the SWMBO's end.

Just for idle curiosity I'm also wondering if a Sargent second half will work with the factory first half. Not surprisingly I didn't see any example of that at the site.

I've had a bias against RDL seats remembering seeing them on a ton of early 'Wings. They were wing chairs for the Wing not unlike child booster seats. Recently I took a peek at Russell's site and one seat for the ST (1100) that was nothing like that and really nice looking.

It's too much money for my blood and riding but I'm impressed with its good looks.

The Sargent seat really does appeal to me:

I'd probably go for just the pilot half. If the pillion portion fits with the OEM front it could be a cost effective solution for Panjammer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My bike came w/ a Sargent seat. It was wider than the stock seat, and quite hard, but surprisingly comfortable. Unfortunately, because of its height and width, i could only tiptoe down when stopping. If there was a pot hole or off camber stop, watch out! I got rid of it before I took anything longer than a 4 hour ride.

Bike
07 ST1300
I think I can actually answer the OP's question. I will try it out for you. Maybe this morning. But it's SO damn cold out there..makes me a little sad! Been riding to work off and on all winter and NOW it's too cold??
The sargent seat makes my pillion happy. Along with lowering pegs. The stock seat did not. It's better for me as well. Much.

Bike
07 ST1300
Yes it fits fine. Yes it's a big improvement for the pillion. Ignore the mark the shef left on my stock seat!

OP
OP
Panjammer
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks to everyone for their info and experiences with their seats and finding the right one. Special thanks to JimGregory for braving the cold to take those snaps of the two pillion seats for me, that helped a lot Jim. Well off to ride solo between rain showers here in Socal while the wife is at work. Have a great Saturday everyone!

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Well,, her Highness is getting a new throne !! I came across a nearly new Sargent "world-seat" pillion saddle. The increased width over oem will match our other kikes saddles,, which are Corbin and Travelcade. And the bonus is that the piping is done in her favourite colour,,, so how can I miss !! It will be interesting to see how well it mates up with my front Corbin. I had contacted Corbin last fall to inquire about a pillion saddle,, and even offered to provide an oem pan. But they were not interested. dduelin's description indicates that sliding forward on decelerations should be reduced,, and comfort over longer distances increased. Time will shortly tell,,, Cat'

If seat time is the gold standard my Sargent is it. I've ridden countless 12+ hour days and once over 21 hours with just gas and relief stops every 3+ hours, over 1500 miles then 850 the next day. 900 mile daily average over 9 days no problem. However everyone is different and what works for me won't for you. In terms of cents per mile the Sargent was dirt cheap as it has carried me about 150,000 miles without showing wear or UV drying. The Sargent pillion is quite different from the stock shape and foam hardness. It is scooped out to form the pillion seating position, raised in the front to stop sliding and firm to keep from squishing down against the pan.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks to everyone for their info and experiences with their seats and finding the right one. Special thanks to JimGregory for braving the cold to take those snaps of the two pillion seats for me, that helped a lot Jim. Well off to ride solo between rain showers here in Socal while the wife is at work. Have a great Saturday everyone!
Now this is how to make a Pillion happy! RussellSeat0.JPG

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Here are a couple of pics of my pillion seat as rebuilt by Seth Laam. As you can see in the second shot the padding at the back is quite thin, but with the rear topper on this part of the seat isn't used, as SWMBO is further forward on the seat. FWIW I'm told the seat is very comfortable and I'm very pleased with my Laam rider seat. I chose to go with a Laam rebuild because of the much lower prices point compared to the Russell.

Rear_seat_1.jpg Rear_seat_2.jpg

Top Bottom