Looking at KTM 1190, opiions?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I am told KTMs are difficult to work on and the dealer network is limited. Nice bike with lots of nice and expensive accessories though.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Really nice bike but personally, I'd go for a Tenere... I think they're more reliable and less costly to maintain/repair.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Nice ride, but this same bike left my buddy stranded due to an air cleaner defect that allowed the engine to ingest dirt until it had no compression. New engine under warranty after only a thousand miles. He was without the bike for several months during dealer/manufacturer litigation.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Don't forget the new Triumph Explorer....a lot of nice changes this year! Or you could just buy my 2013 Explorer XC

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
These are great motorcycles. If I was after a more street oriented dual sport and I wanted to ride long distances between easy dirt, I'd be looking at one. I have a couple friends that have them and they are very happy. Good wind management, good handling, great power. The ABS/traction management was the most sophisticated of any motorcycle when it was new and still only a few match it now. It looks like this owner has dealt with the dust issue with one of his farkles. Just based on his farkles, it looks like he set it up as primarily a paved road bike which mitigates any past dust issues. Typically, the KTM's smoke the other large dual sports in off road handling and are close on the street.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Just like with any bike you own, buy a shop manual. The KTM's are EASY to work on. IMO.
They are no more expensive than the ST as far as oil changes.
If you want the dirt on them take a look at www.ktmtalk.com
You'd be very happy with this bike!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Really nice bike but personally, I'd go for a Tenere... I think they're more reliable and less costly to maintain/repair.
I test rode a 2015ES last year. That would be my choice of the big adventure tourers. But the KTM would better if you are going to going off road much with it. I'm getting too old and broke down for that kind and of riding.
I bought a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800XCX. It had every option I was looking for. And I was looking for a smaller bike I could load in my truck by myself. So far I could not be happier with the bike.
So many good choices out there today. I hope you find the right one for you.

Top Bottom