not so new ST owner, new to STOC

EAS

Bike
05 ST1300
Hi All. Not ever been much for forums, but that is about to change. I now own two ?05 ST1300?s. I rode the first one trouble free 99,250 miles and without any warning something let go in the motor. I?m now interested in A) replacing the motor B) parting out the rest of the bike. I?d love to be pointed to the right forums to get that process started.

I loved my red 05 so much I just went and bought another one a week later. I?ve run it up to 33,000 miles now and I?m beginning to have rear brake drag trouble. Might be the SMC, might be lack of lube, might be lack of maintenance. Where do you folks recommend I start? (which forum)

Introductions forum wouldn?t let me post new thread for some reason. ?? Maybe I made an original post years ago?

Thanks, Looking forward to being part of the community.

EAS

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum and congrats on putting mileage on ST1300s!

Engine, watch ebay, you should be able to pick up one at a good price. When I was looking at approaching 200K on my first ST1300 (a '05), I picked up an engine off ebay. I also picked up most of the parts I needed to "rebuild" it..meaning replacing the waterpump and seals. I was going to then put it in the '05, but plans changed when I picked up my first wrecked '04.

The engine is sitting in my garage, along with 4 ST1300s right now! The '05 was sold to one of my sons. :D

OP
OP

EAS

Bike
05 ST1300
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have look at eBay when the time is right. $$. Plan C is to keep it for parts, because like you, I'm a SoCal lane splitter and having matching plastic and parts in the ready might come in real handy some day. 20K/yr with the current commute. Was in Murrieta / DeLuz just last Sunday on a fun ride. Next time I'll wave on my way through.

How much do you expect would be a fair price for a lightly used motor?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have look at eBay when the time is right. $$. Plan C is to keep it for parts, because like you, I'm a SoCal lane splitter and having matching plastic and parts in the ready might come in real handy some day. 20K/yr with the current commute. Was in Murrieta / DeLuz just last Sunday on a fun ride. Next time I'll wave on my way through.

How much do you expect would be a fair price for a lightly used motor?
I find that having two working bikes (one for commuting and one for backup/long distance) works really well!

I would say around $300 to $500 on ebay. Sometimes they have good looking motors, but often they look a bit beat.

I was thinking you were on the East Coast for some reason, but since your that close, maybe you should come look at mine. I'll give it to you for $400. It supposedly had 30 to 40K on it when I bought it from a wrecker in Oregon. It needs new waterpump seals (which I have) and clutch. It has been sitting for a few years (covered).

OP
OP

EAS

Bike
05 ST1300
I'm interested in the offer. Let's exchange contact info via email. THANKS!

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Welcome back! Good luck getting everything back to running. It'll be nice to have two!

Top Bottom