Helmets Hi-vis Plasti-Dip

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Used the blaze yellow on my Neotec. First you have to use a few coats of white Plasti-Dip before the blaze yellow so it will cover the black.

Came out pretty bright. Looks like hi-vis.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300 2004
STOC #
what?
That looks really great. Please let us know about durability.

Doing the front vent might be too much... might look like a creepy mouth. Even though dip peels right off you may want to mock it up by dipping a trimmed piece of painter's tape just to see.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
I agree it might look like a weird mouth if you do the front vent.... which may still be cool... I want to see the side view!

Bike
ST1300 2004
STOC #
what?
That looks really great. Please let us know about long term durability.

Doing the front vent might be too much... might look like a creepy mouth. Even though dip peels right off you may want to mock it up by dipping a trimmed piece of painter's tape just to see.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Clever, that looks really good! Some more pics would be nice.

Is the original black color a matte black that takes the plasti-dip well? Did you do any surface prep other than cleaning? Brush it on?

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, the helmet is matte black. All I did was clean the helmet with glass cleaner.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I clear coat plasti dip to make it tougher so it won't rub off. That makes it hard.

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
So far so good. I do have a corner lifting though. Read where a little thinner will reset it. That was due to my own mistake of removing the stripe tape after the Plastidip was too dry. I didn't realize you had to do it while it was wet. I'm not sure how to do that when you use white as a base coat. Would be a pain re-striping again to apply the yellow.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I did a motorcycle with the stuff.

Went from this:

To this:

I love Plasti Dip. It's cool stuff

I've been looking at my white Neotech and thinking of doing something similar. Did you remove the top vent in order to apply the Dip?
Mike

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Until i peeled it off prior to selling the bike. Only issues were where screw heads twisted the Dip when replacing tupperware and where the seat rubbed the side of the bike (hidden from view). A washer under the screw head would fix the first problem. I was surprised how durable it was. As a test i cleaned and sprayed the under side of the front fender. When it came time to pull it off it was still intact. I rode quite a bit of gravel with it there and it looked pretty good. Any scratches are easily covered with another coat. I think it took about five cans to put 4-5 coats on all of the plastic.

Many choices of colors available on-line. My local hardware store stocks red, white and black.
Mike

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Washed it with Dawn liquid soap and an old wash cloth.......same as I wash everything.
Mike

Top Bottom