Water pump leak

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Nope. Just the five up top. The ones on the smaller hoses and those on the radiator fittings are still the same ones that came from the factory and haven't wept a drop.
And, of course, having said that, I started the bike up with the left fairing off after some maintenance, and the upper hose on the radiator has a small drip. Thanks. :)

--Mark

OP
OP
Hyzakp
Bike
08 St1300
Been kind of busy. Fixed the coolant leak. Just tightened all the clamps I could see and this seem to have done the trick for now. The weather has not been cooperating lately though. Lots of rain here.
Pat

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Had my 08 ST1300 at the local dealership to track down a FI problem and a coolant leak. The FI problem was easily fixed. The coolant leak is another issue altogether. They said that the pump was leaking from the weep hole and would need to have the seals replaced. The cost for this was outrageous. Told them I would do it myself. How tough a job is this? Anyone here done it? I do have a shop manual.

Pat
Pat,
It is possible that the shop you took your motorcycle to was using an old & outdated service manual. I say this because in 2011, when I purchased my used 2007 ST1300, I purchased a new Honda Service Manual, which came with some supplemental pages attached. One of those pages (6-19) has a new procedure/specification for determining what the coolant leak means.

But first, I'll start with page 6-5, which has the troubleshooting information. The only time that the water pump is listed as a problem is under "Engine temperature too high."
For "Coolant leak":
  • Faulty water pump mechanical seal
  • Deteriorated O-rings
  • Faulty radiator cap
  • Damaged or deteriorated cylinder head gasket
  • Loose hose connection or clamp
  • Damaged or deteriorated hose

On page 6-19,
"Mechanical Seal Inspection (After '07),
Check the inspection hose for signs of coolant leakage.
  • A small amount of coolant weeping from the inspection hose is normal.
  • If there is continuous coolant leakage from the inspection hose while the engine is running, replace the mechanical seal."

Even if there is continuous leakage from the inspection hose, the water pump does not need to be replaced. The mechanical seal needs replacing.

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The service manual also instructs you to replace the water pump and all parts related (mechanical seal), as a whole with new parts only.

Last edited:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
This thread is like a Beatles song. "While my ST gently weeps" My 08 will weep a little from the hose onto the floor when not ridden for awhile. After a ride it stops, and it does not leak while running, so I leave it alone.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You do realize that the seals are pressed into the case and onto the prop shaft.

Top Bottom