Instrument cluster ( Fuel/Temp/Mileage etc ) difficult to read in normal daylight

As per the title, on my 2003 ST1300 I find the Instrument cluster on the right hand side of the dash ( Fuel/Temp/Mileage etc ) difficult to read due to lack of adequate illumination.

I realise that this is adjustable but even on the highest setting, even on a cloudy day it is not easy to read due to it not being bright enough.

Has anyone managed to improve this by fitting anything additional or via a back lighting upgrade.

I have looked at other ST1300's and they are all the same as mine so mine is not faulty and other owners that I have spoken too noted the same problem.

They are fine at night just really indistinguishable in daylight.

Any advice other than buy stronger glasses would be really appreciated.

Cheers Darryl:)

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
You can contact Scott Woodruff [bluegauges@yahoo.com] who will change the backlights to any color you need....

Bike
2016 R1200GSA
STOC #
I bought mine with the back lighting already upgraded by the original owner. Info passed on stated it was done by blue gauges. No problem reading in the daylight. Being a bit colorblind I'm not exactly sure what color it is - looks orangey/red to me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Choice of helmet visor can affect how you see the display. I have had brands of helmet that block UV with polarized material, others have no effect. Also polarized glasses.

OP
OP
Thanks for the info everyone but unfortunately I am in the UK so using Bluegauges.com is not a viable option for me , good as the results seem.

Ideally, I was hoping that someone may have made some modifications themselves and be able to advise as to what they did.

Looks like that's not the case but thanks for taking the time to reply to me anyway.

Regards Darryl

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Darryl: check out the Dutch ST group. They have done an excellent job upgrading their bikes with new backlighting and gear position indicators. They even have a video on it. I think the title of the thread is "How do you like my dash"?

Cheers,

Pete

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks for the info everyone but unfortunately I am in the UK so using Bluegauges.com is not a viable option for me , good as the results seem.

Ideally, I was hoping that someone may have made some modifications themselves and be able to advise as to what they did.

Looks like that's not the case but thanks for taking the time to reply to me anyway.

Regards Darryl
Just came across this ad on Ebay. I remembered reading your post and thought that this might be an option for you. It is a do-it-yourself ST1300 digital gauges cluster LED upgrade kit available in six colours. Best of all for you- it is a UK vendor and is only GBP 15.00.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
st130003.jpg

I had mine done by the Dutch ST Group... great job and really good people! Looks very similar to the above.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
BRILLIANT!!!!!

Many thanks for that
If you go ahead with this report back on your findings and how it went. I might consider this route myself and would be interested in your evaluation of the quality of the components in the kit.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you go ahead with this report back on your findings and how it went.
Yes please do. The bluegauges route is expensive and time consuming (but that doesn't matter where people have real winters). But this involves desoldering and soldering SMCs and apparently there are a lot of them.

The eBay listing talks about lights for the dials. Does this mean the speedometer and tachometer? Are those included or optional?

For the record I really like the bluegauges ST130003 All White option. I just with the LCD panel background was black and not blue.

And if it's not too much trouble some pics of the process would be outstanding.

Bike
ST1300 ABS
Ok folks, I have the info I need, thanks to those posting sensibly and answering the stupid questions I chose to ignore so much appreciated and to the others posting .......well........
For the record it isn't a days work, soldering a couple hours at most as its only 35 LEDs... mechanical stuff another two hours max. I posted lightenupgrade earlier, all the kits are there £15.......but ........if yer not mechanically minded it will take you a day and you are likely to damage something in the process so get it done for you at lightenupgrade (uk) or (us).
Ciao. G

Top Bottom